The Amen Corner

The fill on the drums where the first distinct riff-change happens is one of Lopez's awesomest doings! Other than that, the song is but another masterpiece from MAYH.

Great first half, after the acoustic section it stops being interesting for me at all, just like I lose interest in Advent after the first 3 minutes.

The opening to The Amen Corner sets the tone for the entire song. The part with the clean vocals, and the solo immediately after is nice as well, but the rest in between is rather ordinary in comparison to MAYH.

I rank MAYH's songs:

1. When
2. Credence
3. April Ethereal
4. Karma
5. The Amen Corner
6. Demon Of The Fall
7. Epilogue
8. Madrigal
9. Prologue

Just my two cents :p

Great first half, after the acoustic section it stops being interesting for me at all, just like I lose interest in Advent after the first 3 minutes.
HOWWWWW?!

The transition from the metal riff to soft riff at 3 mins is great, and really sets up the scene for the next heavy part, at 4 mins which is a real head banger :kickass:

and the next part at 5.30 really kicks ass, such an emotional ride, the vocal melody really suits it, and after that at 6.30 the really sinister vibe of the entire album really kicks in, and of course, the outro is just incredible..

How the HELL CAN U CALL THIS SONG AVERAGE

HOWWWWW?!

The transition from the metal riff to soft riff at 3 mins is great, and really sets up the scene for the next heavy part, at 4 mins which is a real head banger :kickass:

and the next part at 5.30 really kicks ass, such an emotional ride, the vocal melody really suits it, and after that at 6.30 the really sinister vibe of the entire album really kicks in, and of course, the outro is just incredible..

How the HELL CAN U CALL THIS SONG AVERAGE

Xarthas, great post, and great analysis of The Amen Corner. I decided to make a post on this song, because one of the more 'obscure' songs by Opeth, and isn't talked about much. Much like... The Funeral Portrait, Nectar, Twilight Is My Robe, Atonement, etc.