The audio world...why so male dominated?

Can't forget Emily Lazar

IMG_lodge_emily.jpg

This question is kinda like asking why so few arabian transexuals take part in ski jumping contests.

Er... no, no it isn't. Not by a long shot. There aren't that many arabian transexuals to begin with (relative to how many females are on earth), and most arabian people don't ski, period.

This is more like asking... why aren't there more female computer engineers?

Obviously, there are some, but it's just not a field our society generally views as 'for women,' so little girls don't grow up wanting to become it.

It's all a culture problem and it goes way back in history. It will not change, at leat no too soon.

i don't know that i would necessarily call it a "problem"...it's just that male and female mindsets have evolved to be different over the years. women get drawn into professions that have more social and human interaction, while guys tend to be more drawn to jobs where they get to sit around and tinker with shit. of course technical and social skills will overlap each other in all jobs, including audio engineering, but at the end of the day most chicks would rather spend their days doing more than sitting in front of console and a pair of speakers.

The most stupid thing about it is that from a physiological perspective, women should be far better at audio engineering than men. Women are (typically) less interested/obsessive over small details and more about the bigger picture, they're better at hearing things as a whole rather than focusing on one aspect, and they tend to hear things more evenly rather than just using their dominant ear.

Honestly, I think it does come down to sexism of a sort. Not in the "women can't do it" sense, but in the sense that most guys in metal bands are men. When you're in the studio, you want to relax and be comfortable etc. - and most men (whether they realise it or not) still act differently around women, especially women they don't know. The language is less blue, the jokes aren't as filthy. Of course everyone will claim that's not the case, but it really is.

It works the same the other way around too. I've been in 3 bands with female singers; one proggy, one metalcore and one grindcore. As the music got heavier, the audio engineers we worked with got less comfortable with the woman. The guy that recorded the grind band could barely look at the singer (and she was really worth looking at), and hardly said a word when she was around. As soon as she was in the vocal booth, he started joking around - then stopped as soon as she came out. With the prog band, the guy was used to recording pop and punk bands, and he was the same with the chick as with the rest of us.

Steve

Hey suicide, makes a lot of sense. The only thing I'd have to disagree with is the first line. I know when I talk to my girlfriend - or any woman in general, they ALWAYS want the details, even the most insignificant minor ones and god forbid I leave something out, it'll become a question and answer session lol. Versus me talking to a friend where I can leave out things and they'll still be able to connect point A and B and get the point of the story.

It seems like the only aspect of music that has a female population at all is song writing. Female bands are considered a novelty, almost a gimmick but I've never come across a big named female engineer/mixer or any for that matter. I wonder why?

Why are there so few female bands or bandmembers? Guys: I want to play/sing in a band. Girls: I want to be a singer( In a band? No way! ). One answer to why there are so few women in the music industry in the first place.

The most stupid thing about it is that from a physiological perspective, women should be far better at audio engineering than men. Women are (typically) less interested/obsessive over small details and more about the bigger picture, they're better at hearing things as a whole rather than focusing on one aspect, and they tend to hear things more evenly rather than just using their dominant ear.

I see what you're getting at, but being detail-oriented tends to be a huge asset when it comes to mixing.

Not true in my experience... We had a school project of mixing two songs, and a girl on my class never was satisfied with the kick drum sound she got :lol: it sounded fine to me...