The Beginner's Guide to Heavy Metal book project

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
'allo...

The original intent of this was to create a hastily-done, simplistic rundown of important bands of the subgenres of heavy metal as a way of generating sales in the triple digits to finance LotFP printing.

I don't like that idea anymore, as it doesn't do anything. But the work I've done on it will not be wasted.

I was fiddling around with Scum yesterday, thinking of making a "Special Collector's Edition" book version of it. Then I thought it would need examples and footnotes and further explanation as just in one year my thoughts have, not changed, but have gone through more refinement as debate and argument have arisen.

So I thought "Why not turns this Beginner's Guide" into a total re-work of Scum, using actual descriptive language aimed at the uninitiated? Scum assumes previous familiarity (and internalization) of heavy metal, and the language intended to be confrontational and provoke backlash. But approaching all of the same subjects that Scum covers, reaching the same conclusions, but not beating the reader over the head with the argument, might make a good Beginner's Guide.

And all the writing I've done on the genres and bands still becomes part of the greater whole.

Hmm.