The Berzerker - World of Lies

The Berzerker - World of Lies
Earache Records – Mosh320CD - 30/01/06
By Sam Brokenshaw

TheBerzerkerWOL_CD.jpg

I've never been impressed by the previous output of The Berzerker, it always seemed that Mr Kenny put the extremity before the songs. Extremity for the sake of it is all well and good in small doses, but whole albums of out and out speed tend to get old fast. The press release for this new album states that Luke Kenny worked on making songs rather than pieces of hodge-podge musicianship. Largely this seems to be true, the individual songs are coherent and work as unique pieces. Unfortunatly, Earache's decision to split the album up into 99 tracks makes it rather bothersome to actually pick a song at random and judge it on it's own merits, but it does seem to work.

Due to the aforementioned track splitting, I couldn't really say which songs serve as highlights and why, but overall the quality level is consistant. The vocals sometimes reach the kind of breakneck speeds at which absolutely nothing is decipherable. The guitars hurtle along at the speed of light. One thing I'd pick out which does get annoying is the signature kick sound Kenny continues to use. The whole techno/gabba thing is starting to get very irritating, as at these speeds it congeals into one long stream of fuzz and really has no definition. Overall the drums sound programmed, it's isn't stated that they are but surely no human could play this robotically without a huge dose of quantisation. Spoken word samples punctuate the chaos at certain points, at times industrial touches permute the proceedings, but the guitar riffs are always the dominant feature.

Overall this album is not at all bad, but the one dimensional approach to death/grind shown here doesn't exactly promote further listening. As much as I hate to be harsh, I just cannot bring myself to give this album too much credit. To these ears The Berzerker needs to evolve, and fast.

6/10

The Bezerker Official Website
Earache Records Official Website

I enjoyed it and thought it their best by far. The songs are more distinct, the riffs more memorable and the programmed drums much less annoying than before. I think they are moving right along...

Glad someone reviewed this, is it truly worth Purchasing? I am a fan of The Berzerker and I know at one point their drummer was indeed human, but due to an album buggered his shoulder, so they decided to use a Machine, but yeah be great if you could find out if this is still the case, good review mate.

Fuck you Inherarms emo faggot u know nothing of music at all ... you fucking idiot .. you have alot of dignity and ur so cool to just come inside one of the berzerker topic threads and start talking shit fucking grow up you fucking loser and the berzerker is a excellent band , are talented , greatly skilled and ur mom woul'd listen to them getting fucked by me bitch ...