The best guitarist ever!!!

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
SRV is the best that's ever lived in my opinion. There's so much passion that comes through in his playing, it's scary! I literally get chills when I hear these riffs! He's a god!

~Brian~

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say there was a best one. A lot of great guitar players were/are fantastic at their style, but on top of my list are Ritchie Blackmore and Tony Iommi.

I can't say there was a best one. A lot of great guitar players were/are fantastic at their style, but on top of my list are Ritchie Blackmore and Tony Iommi.

I've never been that into Ritchie, but Iommi on the other hand is one of the greats, no doubt. I enjoy listening to Iommi live these days, because with modern equipment it sounds so thick.

~Brian~

I do like Stevie Ray, but in the late 60's there was this band from Atlanta called Hydra, and they were a kinda Heavy Bluesy Metal type band, and had this guitarist named Spencer Skipworth, now if you wanted to hear passion, DAMN!!!! Spenser could make that "63" gold Les Paul talk. They had a reunion show in 2005 with all the original members minus the bass player Orville Davis. I talked to Stephen Fredrick when Firewind played and he went to the show, and he said Spencer is even better today, and could still make the guitar talk.

SRV is the best that's ever lived in my opinion.
I believe people typically conflate "best" and "favorite", out of an exuberance for their favorites. I've been guilty of this as well.

The way I look at guitar players is, there's a pinnacle that one can achieve. Many guitar players have reached that pinncale. And once you've reach that pinnacle, there is no better or best, only the personal preferences of the listener. Is Vai better than Satriani? Is Malsteen better than Vinnie Moore? Is Blackmore better than Iommi? It's all personal preference.

That said... SRV is as good as it gets. :kickass:

Wish I had seen him play live. :cry:

Zod

If you dig bluesy stuff, check out Lucky Peterson......freakin' amazing....!
Billy Gibbons (for texas blues stuff!)....fantastic!
Brian May........unbelievably great!
Ritchie Blackmore indeed is a god of guitar. He has directly influenced just about every neo-classical shredder out there, especially the likes of Yngwie and all.
This is all so subjective, but for me, Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai are the tops.

Okay, i forgot to post this, but there is a guitar clinic on Saturday with the Amazing Austin guitarist Drew Creel, don't miss this, Drew will amaze you.

I totally agree with Zod- it is only a matter of listener preference- I would argue for blues driven rock and feeling the great "emotion" that come through his playing, Dave Meniketti is the top of the mountain for me.

I believe people typically conflate "best" and "favorite", out of an exuberance for their favorites. I've been guilty of this as well.

The way I look at guitar players is, there's a pinnacle that one can achieve. Many guitar players have reached that pinncale. And once you've reach that pinnacle, there is no better or best, only the personal preferences of the listener. Is Vai better than Satriani? Is Malsteen better than Vinnie Moore? Is Blackmore better than Iommi? It's all personal preference.

Zod

My thoughts exactly. My favorite players are George Lynch, Michael Schenker, Gary Moore and Yngwie Malmsteen, with mood determining which one is "best" at any particular moment. Lately I've been listening to a lot of John Norum's stuff, a really tasty player. Also guys like Vinnie Moore and Tony MacAlpine get a lot of attention, along with the old classics like Randy Rhoads, Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Pat Travers and Uli Roth. So many...

BTW, I was fortunate to see SRV, with Jeff Beck no less. Fantastic show, so glad I was able to see him...

I totally agree with Zod- it is only a matter of listener preference- I would argue for blues driven rock and feeling the great "emotion" that come through his playing, Dave Meniketti is the top of the mountain for me.

Oh man, forgot Dave, one of my absolute favorites!

I do like Stevie Ray, but in the late 60's there was this band from Atlanta called Hydra, and they were a kinda Heavy Bluesy Metal type band, and had this guitarist named Spencer Skipworth, now if you wanted to hear passion, DAMN!!!! Spenser could make that "63" gold Les Paul talk. They had a reunion show in 2005 with all the original members minus the bass player Orville Davis. I talked to Stephen Fredrick when Firewind played and he went to the show, and he said Spencer is even better today, and could still make the guitar talk.

Zod

I knew that I'd get opinions out you two! :) With that said, I guess SRV is my favorite guitarist of all time, with Criss Oliva and Jake E Lee falling in behind him. With that said, those three guys have different styles. Regarding Stevie, I have never witnessed anyone put that much heartfelt emotion into playing. SRV was heavily influenced by Hendrix, but I feel like he's light years ahead of Hendrix, ability speaking. I hope you guys have watched and listened to the entire video closely.

~Brian~

I knew that I'd get opinions out you two!
Hey... if I'm breathing, I'm spouting my opinion.

Regarding Stevie, I have never witnessed anyone put that much heartfelt emotion into playing.
I agree... but that makes me question what I'm missing out on. If you asked me to name 20 Blues guitar players, I don't know that I could. And I'm sure Blues is a lot like Metal, in that the artists that breakthrough aren't typically the most gifted.

Anyone know of any "underground" Blues forums? I would love to explore that genre, but don't have a clue where to begin.

Zod

Hey... if I'm breathing, I'm spouting my opinion.

I agree... but that makes me question what I'm missing out on. If you asked me to name 20 Blues guitar players, I don't know that I could. And I'm sure Blues is a lot like Metal, in that the artists that breakthrough aren't typically the most gifted.

Anyone know of any "underground" Blues forums? I would love to explore that genre, but don't have a clue where to begin.

Zod

Like anything else, the blues genre is wide. There's Mississippi, Chicago, and Texas blues, all meaning something different. From what I understand, Chicago and Texas blues is much more electric guitar oriented, with Mississippi leaning more toward acoustic and harmonica. One of my other favorites is Buddy Guy. He's getting up there in age, but check out his breakthrough album, "Damn Right I've Got The Blues". By any means, I'm not an expert, but I have dabbled a little in this genre. It's nice to see you wanting to explore something besides death metal Zod! :loco:

~Brian~

One of my other favorites is Buddy Guy. He's getting up there in age, but check out his breakthrough album, "Damn Right I've Got The Blues".
We saw him perform a bit when we were in Chicago. I'll have to check that disc out. Thanks.

It's nice to see you wanting to explore something besides death metal Zod!
Actually, I'm not that into Death Metal, much more into Black Metal... it's a far more creative/progressive genre. But yeah... I listen to all sorts of music... essentially anything that speaks to me.

Zod

Mississippi???? hehehehehehe I don't know of any blues forums but i will be on the look-out

The guitar is one of my favorite instruments and I love listening to stuff from Randy Rhoades, Michael Schenker (more UFO, early material) and Robin Trower. As far as pure blues I like Larry McCray. :worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually found this video on youtube as well...it's a cover of Black Magic Woman. Great song and phenomenal guitar playing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQp3Jh2P_UE&feature=related[/ame]