The best way to get yourself distributed online ?

G1

Dec 8, 2008
Hey guys

Im curious about getting my bands EP sorted online. We're going to be releasing the EP for free online instead of printing it.
Im just wondering how i go about getting our stuff on itunes and other companies alike ?

Cheers

George

I'd suggest all the basics for promo: Myspace, Facebook, Soundclick, Pure Volume, forums/community boards, etc. And of course online server space like dropbox.
I haven't heard of an online distribution deal but perhaps someone else might have.
I dont have much to offer aside from doing all the ground-work yourselves.
I'd also recommend taking a swing at the torrent communities as well.

ones to use

www.tunecore.com - easy to use, pay per store, great support, pay upfront, but you take the revenue
www.recordunion.com - easy to use, long accounting periods, very cheap, lots of stores
www.cdbaby.com - I've heard its good

AVOID

www.dittomusic.com - shit, shit and more shit, dreadfull support, really bad payment system and stats tracking..

there's more but I cant be arsed to go through them all, if in doubt I'd totally use tunecore..

Free release on iTunes? I don't know if it's possible but I don't use iTunes at all. Anyway, Jamendo is a great option. Many music blogs will take your EP from there, even making their own mp3's and posting them on Rapidshare. At least it was like that with an EP from my band.

ReverbNation is pretty good if you haven't used it yet. I find it doesn't mess with your files as much as myspace, and people can still download them for free if you want. If you sign up for the free account you can upload files up to 8MB, or you can pay $30 a year and get up to 25MB per file.

500x_online-music-infographic.jpg