the best way to record direct w/a tube amp

You can't use a normal DI box on your speaker outputs, a tube amp output has to be connected to speakers while running or else you risk destroying the output transformer. There are products, such as the Palmer speaker emulators and THD hotplates that can give you a line level signal but they cost quite a bit if your just starting out.

and sorry to say, they all sound like shit compared to some decent miking. :erk:
I tried 4 models and nothing sounded like a real loud amp, instead i got a sound as if some valves were fucked up or on the way the be fucked up. :ill:
The same goes for powersoaks (where you bring down the volume to your speakers) :yuk:
I prefered turning the amp softer on higain amps.

Plexiheadamp gave a hard time getting right... :worship: but hey, they are worth risking a bit of your hearing :headbang:

Soundscaper

Razorjack said:
You can't use a normal DI box on your speaker outputs, a tube amp output has to be connected to speakers while running or else you risk destroying the output transformer. There are products, such as the Palmer speaker emulators and THD hotplates that can give you a line level signal but they cost quite a bit if your just starting out.
Tried the THD hotplate on my 1981 JMP-1 superlead and I was really impressed, it was very cool.