The best year in music

Krondor

Jan 16, 2008
Finland
What is the best year in music? I mean if you had to choose a year, and you could only listen music that was released during that year, what year would it be and why? :Spin:

Mine would probably be 1972.

Yes - Fragile and Close to the Edge
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Geensis - Foxtrot
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un Minuto and Per un Amico
Black Sabbath - Vol.4
Deep Purple - Machine Head
etc.
etc.

Sooooo many great albums was released that year. 1967 was a crazy year too...

PS. No "Best of" collections or remastered versions of old albums, so just the original releases...

That's a tough one. One way of thinking aobut it might be going your way and picking a classic year for rock music... On the other hand, if I had to choose right away, I might go with some year from the 90s simply because I was born in the 90s and so on. I mean, I can think of a bunch of good albums from 1998, but I'd have to do some amount of research to know what albums came in which year in the 70s.

Practically thinking though, isn't more music released these days than ever before, so if you had to go on with that year's music for, say, the rest of your life, maybe going with a year from 2000s wouldn't be so bad either.

But yeah.. Right away I might say 1998 for:
-Devin Townsend - Infinity
-Anathema - Alternative 4
-Mostly Autumn - For All We Shared
-Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus
-Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse
-Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus

+ lots of nostalgic shit I suppose.

Btw. I did check 1972 and Yes - Fragile is 71. Seems like a pretty good year tho.

Maybe the UK and US releases for Fragile were different - my CD's tag info says 1972 too.

I don't have a favorite year. It used to be 1971, but anymore I don't think there's one period that was better than another unless you really like the classic era of a specific genre.

Gotta check both metalstorm and progarchives... Uh yeah I'll get back to you as well. I think 2001 was pretty strong though. And 72.

EDIT: to clarify before you read the post below (best post of 2012), I don't consider 2001 to be the best year. It probably is 72 or some shit. I don't know, my absolute favorite albums are obscure fucking britprog albums I have no idea when they're from.

Yeah 2001 was the last really good year for metal IMO - at least post-80s power metal and prog-power metal.

2001 COOL METAL
Opeth - Blackwater Park (best opeth - EDIT not fuck that Deliverance. oh well it's on par.)
Ensiferum - S/T (very good)
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness (insanely good)
Windir - 1184 (very good)
Devin Townsend - Terria (crazy fucking good - best [heavy] Townsend)
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element pt. 1 (good)
Savatage - Poets & Madmen (good, especially the song Man in the Mirror, fucking masterpiece)
A.C.T. - Imaginary Friends (good, but kind of their weakest effort)
Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame (most epic-sounding album of all time)
Finntroll - Jaktens tid (it's really awesome, and their only really good album)
Bal-Sagoth - Atlantis Ascendant (I prefer a later album but this one is cool. not many bands like them)
Entombed - Morning Star (mostly for the song Chief Rebel Angel)
Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall Of Fame (this is one of the two albums with Jorn Lande that is actually good)
Ark - Burn The Sun (this is the second one, hahaha! I guess he had a muse this year only)

2001 POWAH METAL
Avantasia - Metal Opera pt 1. (good)
Falconer - S/T (good)
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World (good, insane vocals)
Edguy - Mandrake (their last decent album)
Sonata Arctica - Silence (good)
Kamelot - Karma (hardly their best though)
Adagio - Sanctus Ignis (not too good actually)
Iced Earth - Horror Show (last good album)
Therion - Secret of the Runes (honestly haven't listened too much to this, but IIRC pretty good)
Rhapsody - Rain of a Thousand Flames (one of their best - not that they're super good but still)
Freedom Call - Crystal Empire (CHEESE LEVEL MAXIMUM :: ABORT MISSION :: TERMINATE ::: FAILURE TO COMPLY -- SHIT IS TOO CATCHY :: MAYDAY WE'RE GOING DOWN)

BONUS ALBUMS
Yes - Magnification (The Ladder is one of my favorites, and this isn't nearly as good... but still - Yes)

EDIT: what am I thinking of course it isn't the best. I gotta do this for more years and compare. but I'm pretty sure no year post 2001 comes close. Gotta check like 98 and earlier.
Oh and this is mostly in metal. best year is probably like 72.
EDIT 2: fuck it, this is impossible. I keep finding gems in every year.
Okay so 2001 - best post-80 year for power metal and a really good year.
EDIT 3: if you would have asked me a couple of years ago, I'd say '99 was the best, my top three albums at that time were all from 99:
Mr Bungle - California
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Dan Swanö - Moontower

2001 highlights (of songs that are probably not as known or highly rated as some other (such at blackwater park which is generally considered very good)!!
Savatage - Man in the Mirror. The perfect metal whisky/booze song for metal gentlemen. Such as myself. And you.

Windir - Journey to the End. Crazy dance part starts at 3:40. I have actually danced to this, once. I never dance. You shall dance, too.

Entombed - Chief Rebel Angel. Raw tribute to Satan. You shall pay tribute to him by listening to this.

Lost Horizon - Highlander. One of the best post-80s power metal songs. I hate the eagle sound in the beginning BUT OH MY UNHOLY DEITY THAT CHORUS OHHuhuhhhhhhhhhhh fucking voice. Oh look you get lyrics too so you can sing like a bitch as well. It's a long fucking song so prepare your throats. "long song", "prepare your throats", hah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a tough one. I'd say something from the late 90's or the very early 2000's. Probably something between 1997 and 2001. I guess I don't really have a best year, more like a best period.

1998 is probably it though:

Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus
Devin Townsend - Infinity
Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse
Yngwie Malmsteen - Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet
Al Di Meola - The Infinite Desire
Anathema - Alternative 4
Marillion - Radiation
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 1
Vital Tones Project - Vital Tech Tones 1
Catamenia - Halls of Frozen North
Slayer - Diabolus in Musica
System of a Down - System of a Down
Rhapsody - Symphony Of Enchanted Lands
Nightwish - Oceanborn
/and some other stuff in other styles...

Otherwise it's probably 1999:

Opeth - Still Life
Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Derek Sherinian - Planet X
Yngwie Malmsteen - Alchemy
Anathema - Judgement
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun
Steve Vai - The Ultra Zone
Tony MacAlpine - Master of Paradise
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2
Dark Tranquility - Projector
In Flames - Colony
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Amorphis - Tuonela
Catamenia - Morning Crimson
/and there's probably more...

2000 and 2001 are definitely great too. It's a tough choice.

There's no arguing with any year between 72 and 75. Even Homer Simpson once stated it is a scientific fact that rock music reached its peak in 1974.
However, for me personally it's got to be 2002. It's when my interest in music was taken to a new level and when my two most treasured albums were released.

Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
Rush - Vapor Trails

Other cool albums from that year from the top of my head:
Enchant - Blink Of An Eye
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
The Flower Kings - Unfold The Future
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (disc 1 is good, you've got to admit it)

I'll go with 1994. I could list albums for days, but here's a top 20.

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Portishead - Dummy
Psychotic Waltz - Mosquito
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Nas - Illmatic
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Dream Theater - Awake
Seal - Seal II
Fates Warning - Inside Out
Hole - Live Through This
Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Tori Amos - Under the Pink
Live - Throwing Copper
OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Korn - Korn
The Offspring - Smash
Symphony X - Symphony X!!!!!!

1982, and I have to include on my list the best live album ever recorded: Live Evil by Black Sabbath! :headbang:

Asia: Asia
Black Sabbath: Live Evil
Iron Maiden: The Number Of The Beast
Judas Priest: Screaming For Vengeance
Kiss: Creatures Of The Night
Manowar: Battle Hymns
Michael Schenker Group: Assault Attack
Plasmatics: Coup D'Etat
Rainbow: Straight Between The Eyes
Scorpions: Blackout
Whitesnake: Saints & Sinners

Just remembered, 1992 was the year of A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol, Second Chants, Into the Everflow, and Images and Words.