Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
The Blinding Light – The Ascension Attempt
Deathwish, Inc. – DW 27.0 - 2004
By Nathan Pearce

dw27.jpg

Most bands on the Deathwish label are a little unfamiliar to me. I spend so much time sifting through the metal promos that I don’t have time to buy stuff from a label as solid as Deathwish. Problem solved. Deathwish came to me . . . and I’ll be damned if I haven’t been wasting my time and money in the wrong places!

The Blinding Light is primarily a mix of brutal hardcore and thrash with the occasional clean or acoustic interlude. The Ascension Attempt is an excellent venture into crossover territory. The music is a combination of massive guitar-driven brutality and musical poetry. Riffs, vocals, and rhythms intertwine with each other to form exceptionally well-structured songs. Don’t expect the straightforward kick-in-the-teeth approach to metalcore that Hatebreed has popularized. Instead, The Blinding Light has taken a lesson from the Converge book of metal/hardcore/noise. The Ascension Attempt triumphantly remains extremely brutal and poetically beautiful without sacrificing one over the other. Oh . . . and some guy named Jacob Bannon supplies some awesome artwork for The Ascension Attempt.

The Blinding Light is a nice addition to a somewhat stagnant genre. With their ability to write truly interesting riffs and songs, hardcore and metalcore fans will be eating The Ascension Attempt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However, fans of such notable metal acts as Slayer, Sepultura, and Pantera will be pleasantly surprised that The Blinding Light has just as much to offer them.

8.5/10

The Blinding Light’s Official Website
Deathwish Inc.’s Official Website