The Book of Eli

Jul 14, 2002
Stratford, CT
Visit site
Saw The Book of Eli last night, very good film. Washington and Oldman are great as usual. Kuniz is good, though I don't think great in it though. You could basically have put any hot chick actress into the movie and they would have worked.

Fantastic action sequences but this isn't really an action film. The ending is sooooo non-action so be warned. I don't want to say much more for fear of spoilers but I say worth watching for sure.

The buzz from sources I trust said the script is pretty weak but the action sequences are well done, as is the general "feel" of the post-apocalyptic world. Is it true?

If so, you still recommend it?

I thought the story was well done. It does take the standard lone man post apoc. story and adds a nice twist to it.
Basic idea is our mysterious hero is on the road, struggling to survive and "going west" where he must deliver his book. He reluctantly enters a town controlled by Gary Oldman ( never a good thing ) and gets into it. He befriends Kuniz (again reluctantly) and they attempt to escape. They are pursued and things happen.

But it is all of the details and the "things happen" at the end that really set the film apart.
Oh and if you can't figure out what the book is even from the trailers you proabably aren't the brightest bulb.

I enjoyed the film, the look, acting, story twist and the world they've set up.

I can't do that without major spoilers (as most of my complaints are in retrospect of the "final act") so don't read forward if you give a shit:

-Eli being blind... Denzel played that like balls making the twist completely lame.
-The Bible being in braille and being the last bible. Sure they were ordered destroyed, but surely theres another one laying around somewhere in one of many languages.
-Carnigie was a pretty giant faggot
-Solara at the ending... UGH

I however, didn't give a shit about what some douches are calling "Christian propoganda!" or simplified into "OMG THEY'RE INSINUATING GOD EXISTS THAT ISN'T COOL!". I just hated the way things played out.

zpoilerz:

It was good.

The cinematography and the desolation of the dystopian town was rather beautiful, and the score was chilling. I did think they went down the 'dumb' road in it's insinuations and allegory (but hey, that's what the Bible's all about, right?), so it wasn't as deep as I would have preferred. It was a bit of an A-HA moment at the end, though not enough to want to sit through the movie again just for that purpose, but it was enjoyable as any bit of Hollywood propagrandiose tripe could be.

And I loved the SF cameo at the end, of course ;)