Fantasy/Sci-Fi Movies That Don't Suck

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
Okay, so this is part question, part gripe.

It seems that whenever movies get made in the more "geeky" genres such as fantasy or sci-fi and to a lesser extent, horror, that they always seems lacking in at least one way or another. Too lighthearted/geared towards children (LOTR), too heavy on the action/lacking detail/shallow story/overly abridged (Reign of Fire/Chronicles of Riddick), terrible acting/production values (most anything on the Sci-Fi channel, try as they may) or SOMETHING else goes wrong that keeps a movie from being high quality, AND gritty/dark, AND a deep/epic story. That being said LOTR, Chronicles of Riddick, Reign of Fire, and a few others are probably my favorites, but each of them unfortunately is lacking in one of the above.

Now, that's not to say I don't understand WHY this is happening. There's a childish/lighthearted element to create a larger customer base to increase ticket sales. The heavy on the action/lite of the story to appeal to more adults, because let's face it, most people have the attention span of a gnat. And of course the lower budget films (like Sci-FI) have the best of intentions but since they lack the child appeal, and lack the action film angle they get screwed on funding because there isn't a large enough target market to make money off a film with double the budget. It surely would be interesting to see HBO/Showtime/etc make a strong attempt at fantasy/sci-fi in the vein of Dexter or Band of Brothers- even though they aren't fantasy/sci-fi they're prime examples of having strong stories, great production, and a certain grittiness about them.

So ending my rant, does anyone know any good movies I might have missed that don't screw the pooch in one of these categories? Or are you aware of anything currently in production that I might check out in the future? Or if you'd simply like to discuss the makings of a good movie in these genres...

Unfortunately when your an investor in a movie and your money is riding on it the directors/producers are forced to try to appeal to a bigger audience as possible so the investors get ROI (Return on Investment)... We can't understand that and complain about it but if we had our own $$ riding on it we would think differently if we lose money in the name of pure art...

that being said I wish William Gibson's Neuromancer was made into a movie.... it is long overdue imo... Though I know the Matrix movies are influenced by his book... they should still make his book into a movie...

question
do superhero movies count as "fantasy/sci-fi"

i absolutely loved Daredevil and Ghostrider

question
do superhero movies count as "fantasy/sci-fi"

i absolutely loved Daredevil and Ghostrider
Not to me but i did like those 2 movies though I didn't "love" them... I think most people didn't like those 2 movies simply because they hate Affleck and Cage... to me that is a stupid reason though...

Try Paul Verhoeven's Flesh + Blood(1985). It is a very adult oriented fantasy/action film. This movie has everything you need.
It has a very serious tone. A LOT of violence, gore, sex, and nudity. The scenes depicting the Black Plague are particularly unsettling.

The movie stars Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh(and she never looked better).

When I first rented this movie all those years ago, it was like finding a goldmine. Enjoy!

pitch black is a jillion times better than chronicles

80s scifi movies are ze best btw

Not to me but i did like those 2 movies though I didn't "love" them... I think most people didn't like those 2 movies simply because they hate Affleck and Cage... to me that is a stupid reason though...
Afleck was actually really good at doing the superhero thing, at least a hell of a lot better than Cage, with ghost rider, Cage doing it just seemed like the casting director got stoned, ben afleck doing ghostrider would have been a hell of a lot better than the movie that was actually made

Dark City was an underrated (and underseen!) gem that came out at a similar time to The Matrix. Noir sci-fi, with great design, intelligent storytelling, solid effects and good acting. With Rufus Sewell, Jennifer Connelly, Kiefer Sutherland and William Hurt.

Dark City was an underrated (and underseen!) gem that came out at a similar time to The Matrix. Noir sci-fi, with great design, intelligent storytelling, solid effects and good acting. With Rufus Sewell, Jennifer Connelly, Kiefer Sutherland and William Hurt.

Agreed 100%. Great movie... and all I could think of while watching it was how much the main character looked like Paul Di'anno in his Maiden years.