Recommend me some fantasy/sci-fi books...

I, Lucifer-Lucifer returns to Earth for 30 days of "fun" and has a chance to return to Heaven if he can behave
The Devil's Apocrypha-shows God/Jesus as a bad guy

Scott Bakker - Prince of Nothing, Warrior Prophet, Thousandfold Thought
Steven Erikson - Malazan series
Alastair Reynolds - everything so far
Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon, Diamond Age, Snow Crash, System of the World series, Anathem
Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind
Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora
Joe Abercrombie - The First Rule series
John Scalzi - Old Man's War
China Mielville - The Scar, Iron Council
Robert Howard - Solomon Kane
Dan Abnett - Ravenor, Gaunt's Ghosts
Glen Cook - The Black Company series
Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
William Gibson - Neuromancer
Bruce Sterling - Schismatrix
Max Brooks - World War Z
Larry Niven - Ringworld, Lucifers Hammer, Footfall, The Mote in Gods Eye
Gene Wolfe - The Knight, The Wizard, Shadow & Claw
Terry Pratchett - The Color of Magic
Neil Gaiman - American Gods, Fragile Things

Don't bother reading past book 6 of Wheel of Time, it turns into commentary on womens clothing.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time for making recommendations!

Sprak - LOL @ your WoT comment. I actually just got done re-reading the whole series and am anxiously awaiting book #13 coming out on Nov 2nd! I originally read the series when I was a teenager. I do agree though that the series has been drawn out for far too long. This tale could have been told in about a total of 8 books, not 14. :Smug: I love Jordan's impeccable attention to detail and his word choice, but the story itself needs to hurry the hell up!

I just got back from Barnes and noble and I ended up picking up:
Mass Effect - Revelation
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

I also visited a local used bookstore and found R. A. Salvatore's The Dark Elf Trilogy for $7 in very good condition! It's hardback and has all 3 books combined in one book. Score! :)

I know I will probably end up getting the other Mass Effect and Mistborn series books, but finances only allowed me to grab the first book of each series. This should keep me busy tho! ;)

Being someone that just got into WOT a couple of years ago, i'm actually quite stoked they "dragged on" for this long. I only read at night before bed, but I think i'm going to feel empty inside when the series comes to an end.

True. I will be sad it's coming to an end, but considering I started reading the series back when book 9 had just come out, this has been a long time coming wanting to know what happens next. I guess it's a good thing you've had a chance to read the whole series from start to finish (almost) being a new WoT reader... I would guess it's kept you intrigued without having to wait for new books for the most part. :lol: Yay two more weeks for book#13!!

Heinlein - period.

Went through a huge Heinlein phase when I started highschool some 25 years ago. Green Hills of Earth started it, then got into The Number of the Beast, I Will Fear no Evil, Stranger in a Strange Land, Friday, basically, anything he wrote that I could get my hands on. Fantastic stuff!

Oh yeah, one more recommendation: Piers Anthony!

Being someone that just got into WOT a couple of years ago, i'm actually quite stoked they "dragged on" for this long. I only read at night before bed, but I think i'm going to feel empty inside when the series comes to an end.

It's just too goddamn epic for it's own good. It's like if Frodo got to Mt. Doom and then was told "Well, Mount Doom's pretty bad but wait until you see this other mountain on the other side of the land, it's waaaaay worse." Ooops ten more books.

It's just too goddamn epic for it's own good. It's like if Frodo got to Mt. Doom and then was told "Well, Mount Doom's pretty bad but wait until you see this other mountain on the other side of the land, it's waaaaay worse." Ooops ten more books.

reminded me of of when homer climbed the murderhorn :lol:

vlcsnap-2402939.png

last good sci fi book i read was called "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Company-Mind-Steven-Piziks/dp/067157776X"]in the company of the mind[/ame]" by Steven Piziks, very short kinda disturbing but a good read if you have a day with nothing to to