Recommend me some Anime

Utuk Xul

Demon Spawn
Feb 13, 2002
The 9th level of Hell
Visit site
Went to the store and there a literally hundreds of titles to choose from. I am not looking for "typical" anime like Ninja Scroll or girls getting raped by tentacles. I am looking for something more along the lines of the prequels from "The Animatrix" or something like "Heavy Metal" - sci-fi, adult, and gory.

Thanks

OK, I bought "Beserk" pt 1, Wicked City, and Ghost in a Shell. Haven't really had a chance to watch them though. Beserk looks cool and I saw a similar looking DVD from a series called "Hellsing".

Another question, does anyone have any recommendations that are similar to the short "Taarna" from Heavy Metal the movie? Or and other swords and sorcey type thing?

Thanks

Akira is pretty damn confusing though. i think it was the first anime I ever saw and it put me off for a LONG time! Not good for beginners. =)

I'd reccommend Ghost in the Shell, Blue Sub 6, Princess Mononoke and Blood.

Yeah, ok, so that's pretty much all the anime i've seen! SO?!¬

nah man, I don't mean don't see it at all! But I don't think its a good first anime movie to see. It is an excellent movie, it just might completely dumbfound you and put you off other anime if you don't understand it (99% likely) and don't like being confused!

I'm not much of an anime fan, but apart from the obvious movie choices already mentioned here (Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke), I've just found the Ghost in the Shell tv-series GitS-Stand Alone Complex, which is pretty good. At least the first three episodes that I've seen have been great.

Akira the movie doesnt make sense but the manga itself at least tries to explain things more in detail. My favourite animes are Video Girl Ai, Dna2, and Kareshi Kanojou no Jijou from the maker of Evangelion, though I think thats not at all what you're looking for :)