Looking for some kind of death metal

FatPat5

New Metal Member
Sep 27, 2009
Hi, this is kind of my first post here. I've been looking for some music that fits into a specific criteria, but its proving difficult to actually find what it is I want, so I was hoping someone here might be able to recommend me something.

I've got a wide taste in metal music, but currently I feel in the mood for something heavier than usual. I'm kind of looking for some death metal, but of a specific kind. I kind of like some of the actual instrumental work on cannibal corpse's recent offerings, but am not really into that sort of deep-growl singing where you can't even recognise the lyrics without needing to constantly look at the CD booklet. Basically I'm looking for that sort of music though. In terms of singing, just the general screaming, or a light growl (like some of Opeth's older works) is what I'm looking for. I'm also not really into black metal as such, or overly anti-christ type stuff. Just doesn't rock my boat. Same goes for overly sick things like CC et al. where its just a constant stream of people being ripped apart or raped. Don't mind brutal, but just not over the top. The most important part, for me, is just sick guitar riffs, fast double-bass drums and just generally songs which just simply sound evil from the first second.

One CD that I recently tried was Unholy by My Own Grave. That seems to have a good sound to it. I don't mind if the band is popular or a bit underground - as long as they sound good.

Sorry that its a bit waffly. Would be great if someone could recommend me something to get me going in this sort of genre.

Um...Corpsegrinder is pretty damn easy to understand and doesn't growl all that deep.

Anyhow...recent Cannibal Corpse is bland death metal. Meaning license to recommend whatever the fuck I want.

Try:
Asphyx - The Rack and Last One On Earth.
Dew-Scented - Inwards (deathrash)
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness, Covenant

Thanks for those guys. I'll have to check those out. Regarding cannibal corpse, I must admit that I haven't heard an awful lot of their work. I've heard some songs from their last 2 albums and I have their "the bleeding" and "gallery of suicide", but everytime I listen to them it sounds like someone farting down the microphone. But that said, I always like the instrumental work (on hammer smashed face it's awesome).

Do I always have to rec these guys :p

DECAPITATED

you might like their newest album Organic Hallucinosis, it still has the badass riffs and amazing drumming, but the vocals are a little bit more decipherable due to the new vocalist (but once you get into death vocals I suggest checking out their older and superior albums)

here's a sample

around 0:55 I cream my pants even after all these years of listening to them

Last edited by a moderator:
Hammer Smashed Face is with a different vocalist...I'm beginning to wonder exactly what you've heard, as it's hard to confuse Corpsegrinder with generic death vocals.

I realise that they changed their vocalist at one point. BUt I'm not quite a fan of either of them, if I'm honest. Their style just doesn't quite grab me. I have heard the DM growling in some songs where I quite liked it, but I never quite seem to get on with it in CCs music. (That said, I was only using CC as an example as I haven't heard all that much Death Metal).

I'll try some of the above bands. I actually have a "Death" cd coming in the post. I think its called Leprosy. Will see what thats like.

Thanks for your recommendations.

here is a small list you are sure to like unless you're gay, just get the latest from each one.

Bloodbath
Behemoth
Slugathor
Zyklon

Exactly what kind of DM growling do you like then? Give us a bandname!

I say try Vader's newer stuff. He's pretty understandable and they have their moments of greatness.

Carcass - Heartwork, Necroticism
Crionics - Neuthrone
Impaled - Death After Life

here is a small list you are sure to like unless you're gay, just get the latest from each one.

Bloodbath
Behemoth

Actually, get Nightmares Made Flesh and The Apostasy, respectively. Also, Zyklon? For real?

i 2nd Vader

also, both Hackneyed's discs are very accessible "modern" DM with an "evil and groovy" sound.

Ok, tried Leprosy, and its probably one of the best CDs I've heard in a long time. Will definately try more of their stuff. Also quite liked that "Decapitated" song.

That said, I dug out my "The Bleeding" Cd again, and actually, weirdly, I seem to be enjoying it much more than last time I heard it (about a year ago). Can't quite get on with Gallery of Suicide though.

As I said, I don't really know many bands in this genre, and plus nobody I know actually likes Death Metal, so I have to rely on people here to get an idea. Usually I just listen to mainstream ordinary things, like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Slipknot, etc. (please don't bother flaming me about it).

The only death metal-ish thing I ever listen to regularly is Opeth (only like MAYH and Still Life, rest isn't my thing).

By the way, I have a cd from "Obituary" coming in the post. Are they any good at all, or forgettable?

Its not actually an album, its the compilation "Anthology". Heard some brief samples on amazon, which were good, so I went and got it from the 'bay. Was fairly cheap, so thought if it was rubbish I could just sell it on again.