Recommend me some fantasy/sci-fi books...

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Just as the title says, does anyone have any good fantasy/sci-fi books you would recommend?

Books I already like to help make some recommendations along these lines:
Wheel of Time series
Brandon Sanderson books
Ender's Game series
LOTR
George R R Martin

I would have to say the WoT is by far my favorite series and I absolutely love Jordan's writing style. Any authors (aside from Sanderson) or books along those lines you would recommend? When I first read 'Eye of the World' back when I was a teenager, I was engrossed. I'm hoping to find a new book or series to pick up that hooks me that fast.

Thanks! :)

I'm assuming you've read the hobbit if you've read Lotr?
IF you haven't, then do.
Also maybe check out Children of Hurin or the Silmarillion, if you want to read more from Middle-Earth.

Robin Hobb, anything really, but I'd start from the beginning: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy pt.1)
Raymond E. Feist: Magician
Daniel Abraham: The Long Price Quartet
Katharine Kerr: Deverry books
China Mieville: Perdido Street Station
Robert Charles Wilson: Spin
Terry Pratchett
Asimov's Foundation series
Arthur C. Clarke

Saga of The Seven Suns - Kevin J. Anderson
Dune Series - Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson
Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
Dark Elf Trilogy - R.A. Salvatore
Halo Books - Eric S. Nylund, ..and others
Mass Effect Books - Drew Kappryshyn

If you like Star Wars
Thrawn Trilogy - Timothy Zahn

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
The Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman
anything by Asimov
The Death Gate Cycle by Weis & Hickman

+1 to Raymod E. Feist. I have one of his Serpent War books signed.

Wow, thanks for all of the responses! :headbang: I will make a huge ass list of all of these recommendations and start going down from there. Keep 'em coming! :D

Wow I totally forgot about the Mass Effect and Halo books. I absolutely LOVE Mass Effect as a game and loved the storyline. I guess It would make sense to check out the books! hahahaha! I'm also a huge halo fan, so those seem obvious too. Thanks for the recommendations and reminders! :)

Felix, I haven't heard of this King series per-se, but it seems very familiar like I've heard of it somewhere. Either way, I will check this out too!

I'm assuming you've read the hobbit if you've read Lotr?
IF you haven't, then do.
Also maybe check out Children of Hurin or the Silmarillion, if you want to read more from Middle-Earth.

Yeah, I've read The Hobbit. But I haven't ready The Silmarillion or Children of Hurin yet... Those will be on my to-read list for sure! I don't know how I forgot about those. I actually have those in a LoTR box set that came out back when the movies were still big in the theaters. :lol:

Thanks again everyone for your responses. This (and any other recommendations that will come) will definitely keep me busy for a year it seems. haha! Cheers!

"The Passage" by Justin Cronin
"Under the Dome" by Stephen King

And, although it's not scifi/fantasy, I really, really recommend the Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. Awesome on many levels!

Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams should be mandatory reading for everyone.

EDIT: Robert Heinlein is good too.

If you like Star Wars read the following series:
New Jedi Order
Thrawn Trilogy
Fate of the Jedi
Darth Bane trilogy
Legacy of the force