Recommend me some Sci-Fi

I love TNG. voyager comes close....that's it.
DS9 sucks donkeyass (too much of a soap opera IMO).
I'm gonna try firefly now...it it suck I fear I'll have to permaban everyone who recommended it! :D

Red dwarf for some awesome SCI-FI piss-taking comedy…

I got hold of the Halo audiobooks and i'm on the 6th one now… it makes the ride to and from work that bit less bitter

I didn't think the first seasons of DS9 were shitty (certainly not any shittier than the first seasons of TNG, good god :lol: ), and the reason I love it is because it's by far the most serialized and tells the largest and most cohesive story of the bunch

the reason I love [DS9] is because it's by far the most serialized and tells the largest and most cohesive story of the bunch

This.

Each individual TNG episode seems to exist in a vacuum, though I didn't notice or mind when the show was still on the air in first-run syndication. It's more of a collection of short stories, whereas DS9 is a novel.

Yup - TNG occasionally had story arcs going in the background (e.g. Worf's discommendation from the empire during Season 4), but by and large it was always "This week the Enterprise encounters this new life form/planet/species, wraps it all up, and warps into the sunset at the end" - don't get me wrong, I adore TNG (and could honestly listen to Patrick Stewart read the phone book :lol: ), but man, DS9 is just infinitely more rewarding as a whole IMO (and I think most would agree it was Season 3 where it started getting really awesome, exactly like TNG, actually ;)).

I've found that pretty much everyone who doesn't like it hasn't really given it a chance, which is simply by virtue of how serialized it is (not as easy to immediately jump into); I used to hate on it too, but I read so much about how good it was, so I bought what was advertised on ebay as "the official region-free Chinese release" of all 7 seasons - most of the discs play and are direct copies of the official US releases (I own the official seasons 4 and 6, because those in particular had some bad discs in the Chinese version), but once it arrived, I realized it was a totally illegal piracy job (but hey, it was $180 for all 7 seasons :D) - get a load of this packaging :lol:

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

HHE COMPLETE SECONE SEASON ON :lol::lol::lol: And let's see, we've got pictures of the TNG cast, the Kirk movie-era Enterprise-A, and the Remans from that pathetic excuse for a movie Star Trek Nemesis...on the DS9 box (epic nerd humor :D ) And notice the bottom stuff on the back, it's definitely not widescreen, rated R, or in any way associated with Castle Rock entertainment :loco:

And let's see, we've got pictures of the TNG cast, the Kirk movie-era Enterprise-A

Yeah, that was the first thing that jumped out at me. I thought "Dude, wrong ship for that crew" before my brain even made it to "...or that series .Duh."

DS9 had sooo many great supporting characters / performances. Garak, Weyoun, Gowron, Dukat, Martok, Gran Nagus Zek... I could find something to enjoy about episodes highlighting just about any side characters except Rom's girlfriend and Jake. My best friend used to say he would love a spin off series in which Bashir and Garak do nothing but have lunch and chat.