recommend me some death metal bands please

Deeds of Flesh, Disgorge, Odious Mortem, Cryptopsy, Spawn of Possession, Gorgasm, Pyaemia, Disavowed, Hate Eternal, Despised Icon, Ion Dissonance. If you like all of those, chances are good you're a heterosexual.

man... they all sound the same to me. It's like they're mix-and-matching a template and and tuning the equalizer differently.

Decapitated, Edge of Sanity, Daath, Nightrage, Necrophagist, Nile, Cannibal Corpse.

Then there's other bands that are more death metal-influenced than straight up death metal, like Gojira, Into Eternity, Scar Symmetry, Arsis, Despised Icon, Job for a Cowboy, The Red Chord, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Psyopus, Mnemic, Threat Signal, From a Second Story Window, and so on.

Decapitated, Edge of Sanity, Daath, Nightrage, Necrophagist, Nile, Cannibal Corpse.

Then there's other bands that are more death metal-influenced than straight up death metal, like Gojira, Into Eternity, Scar Symmetry, Arsis, Despised Icon, Job for a Cowboy, The Red Chord, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Psyopus, Mnemic, Threat Signal, From a Second Story Window, and so on.

man... they all sound the same to me. It's like they're mix-and-matching a template and and tuning the equalizer differently.
You should pay more attention then, because with the exception of a small few, they really don't sound the same.

Check out ESTUARY from Cincinnati, OH. They just released a new album and it's killer. Here's a description, 2 song samples and album info...oh, and if I didn't tell you the singer was female, you'd never have guessed. Easily one of my favorite bands.

http://www.estuarymetal.com/music/Trans%20Dimensional%20Scourge.mp3

http://www.estuarymetal.com/music/A_Disease_Called_Dogma.mp3

ESTUARYs skill at mixing and molding traditional Thrash & Heavy Metal with the immortal force of Death Metal is in full form. Sonically, the album is an onslaught of Thrash tinged Death Metal laced with punishing melodies, sheer neck-breaking precision & jaw-dropping vocals of pure destruction. Lyrically, The Craft of Contradiction takes on a thematic approach, theorized from a timeline perspective of humankinds manipulated origins to its material plight & ultimate return to truth.

The Craft of Contradiction CD
1. Enduring the Illusion
2. Creation Damnation
3. Lies of Promise
4. Trans-Dimensional Scourge
5. A Disease Called Dogma
6. Heirs To the Throne of Fear
7. Cleansed of All Wisdom
8. Belief Addictions
9. Frailty In Numbers
10. Cardinal Points To Die Upon

Ibex Moon Records. Coming April 2007.

Musicians featured:

Zdenka Prado - Lead Gut & Throat
Jesse Wilson - Drums
Ash Thomas - All Guitars, Bass, b. vox

l_574b4de6e923d8f2e3632a64e3f50cd6.jpg

You should pay more attention then, because with the exception of a small few, they really don't sound the same.

perhaps I've just been exposed to the wrong bands, then. Or maybe death grunt distracts me from all the other instruments and forces me try to, unsucessfully, figure out what they're saying. The only death vocaled bands I've ever come across that doesn't do that to me is opeth.

edit: that estuary stuff is a perfect example. it starts out kinda cool, but then the vocals come in and it distracts me. Vocals are supposed to compliment music, not conflic with it.

Alrighty. Here's a grand list for you...

Demilich
Cryptopsy
Toxicdeath
Crypticus
Incantation
Immolation
Mortician
The Faceless
Brain Drill
Vile
Monstrosity
Death
Vader
Hate
Dying Fetus
Hate Eternal
Morbid Angel
Funerus
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Vital Remains
Decapitated
I'm too drunk, I'll find more.

perhaps I've just been exposed to the wrong bands, then. Or maybe death grunt distracts me from all the other instruments and forces me try to, unsucessfully, figure out what they're saying. The only death vocaled bands I've ever come across that doesn't do that to me is opeth.

edit: that estuary stuff is a perfect example. it starts out kinda cool, but then the vocals come in and it distracts me. Vocals are supposed to compliment music, not conflic with it.
Trying to understand lyrics in death metal will only confuse and frustrate you. And I don't think the vocals conflict at all. In fact, the vocals for the most part are what make it death metal. I think clean singing type vocals over death metal music conflicts much more than brutal vocals.

But really, don't focus on trying to understand what the singer is saying. Think about the music's attitude and how the musicians portray their (usually disgusting and disgruntled) feelings through it.

After a while, if you enjoy death metal you start to notice how different each band is, and even more specifically, the individualistic traits of each member of the bands. Death metal drummers all have unique styles, but they consist of a lot of the same techniques. Some bands are more groove oriented with lots of headbanging type parts, some are totally spastic and unpredictable, some have a really dreary and scary atmosphere (think Immolation... that band is evil incarnate), and some are just shear speed.

Not all death metal bands sound the same. The thing I don't like about death metal bands is they usually don't try to grow as a band. They have their niche and they stick to it. That's fine and well, but as I grow older I want more variety in my metal, so I don't rock the death metal as much as I used to.

Estuary has a new one? Fucking awesome. I saw those guys when they dropped by Louisville once, they own. "To Exist And Endure" is a great album.

Yes it is...and after spinning the new one just a few times I think it's better than To Exist. If you don't have their older stuff check that out too.
ESTUARY OF CALAMITY- "THE SENTENCING" is a brilliant album.

Yes it is...and after spinning the new one just a few times I think it's better than To Exist. If you don't have their older stuff check that out too.
ESTUARY OF CALAMITY- "THE SENTENCING" is a brilliant album.
I just got a promo of this new one. Never heard them before, I'll have to check it out tonight.

Check out ESTUARY from Cincinnati, OH. They just released a new album and it's killer. Here's a description, 2 song samples and album info...oh, and if I didn't tell you the singer was female, you'd never have guessed. Easily one of my favorite bands.

YES! I almost mentioned them before but thought no one would know who the hell they were. The new CD is fucking excellent. Estuary are definitely worth checking out.

And on a related note, they stayed the night at my friend's house once after a show and tried to steal one of his dogs. :zombie: