Recommend me some Opeth and Death cds?

mark_bwaite

One Man Gang
Oct 15, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I am relatively new to the bands Opeth and Death so I was wondering if you could recommend me some good cds by them. Since I am short on cash maybe one cd by Opeth and one by Death would be cool. I hear Still Life is one of their best.

Top 3 for each band...

Opeth -

1. STILL LIFE <--- Their best... get this first!
2. MORNINGRISE
3. MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE

Death -

1. SYMBOLIC
2. LEPROSY
3. HUMAN

Death: anything since human ... my fav is The Sound Of Preserverance ... but Symbolic and Idividual Though Patterns are probably their most mature ones

maybe it's just me, but i don't think the sound of perseverance is the best Death cd to start off with.
I think it'll be a little to much to handle, personally i think that cd is to technical for its own good, meaning it's technical for the sake of being technical, i think
you're better off starting off with Symbolic, because the songs are actually good and well structured instead of TSOP where there's random repeated parts and it just sounds like the songs were cut and pasted together

and for Opeth, MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE

Opeth: Blackwater Park if you want to hear brutal & beautiful with a more produced, flashy prog touch, or Still Life if you want brutal and beautiful with a folkier, more subtle touch. Morningrise an Orchid have the most random songwriting, raw but intimate production, and weakest clean vocals, but prove rewarding the more you listen. Just my tastes though. I love all their albums.

Death: Sound of Perserverence for the technical, Symbolic for a blend of technical and songwriting, or Human for technicality, songwriting, and raw brutality. I think the earlier stuff from Spirtial Healing on back isn't mature enough for a beginning.

Don't start with Blackwater Park because that's the only album by them that could be considered as boring.

Morningrise, Orchid and Still Life in that order.

Death: Symbolic is definitely the best album. Sound of Perseverance is their 2nd best!

Children of Flames said:
Don't start with Blackwater Park because that's the only album by them that could be considered as boring.

Morningrise, Orchid and Still Life in that order.

Death: Symbolic is definitely the best album. Sound of Perseverance is their 2nd best!

BWP BORING???????????????????
What a load of Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoever said to stay away from Orchid is a flamin galah...that album has some killer guitar work cranking on it, Morningrise, Orchid and My Arms Your Hearse are great, but then again so is Still Life and BWP :D

As for Death, what can I say!! What a wicked band, Individual Thought Patterns, Human, Leprosy all wicked albums...

And for Death fans that havent heard Control Denied yet, DO SO!!!!