Recommend me Some "Good" Death Metal

Protected Witness said:
So far, I really only like Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Nile, and Dying Fetus (and Opeth, obviously, if you want to call them Death Metal...). Everything else I've tried to listen to (Deicide, Malevolent Creation, some other stuff) falls kinda short of the badassness held by these bands.

I do have Covenant by Morbid Angel which is pretty cool, I've heard some Krisiun and I was interested in getting the first Hate Eternal CD since it had Doug Cerrito and a Morbid Angel guy...

...so am I missing anyone else that's really badass or what?

(I'm a fan of heaviness and technicality, if that helps)
you should listen to(sorry if bands have been repeated, i didnt feel like reading through 3 pages:loco: )
Edge of Sanity, Bloodbath, hypocrisy, sepultura(although not dm), and thats all i can think of at the moment....

Moonlapse said:
Even if you don't feel like reading through 3 pages, it may be worthwhile to read when the thread was actually made ;)
holy shit.... wow.. lol thats a loonng time ago,... but people were still posting today n shit.. so i thought id post my opinion.....wow. november 2002

Devourment
Necrophagist
Necrophagia <--one of the first death metal bands
Nile
Aborted
Torsofuck
Circle Of Dead Children
Skinless
Prostitute Disfigurement
Wormed
Vader
Cryptopsy

Try those bands. They are on a more brutal side of death metal, so try it out. Those bands are what I like to call "heavy".

Fuck yeah, another Dying Fetus fan. Anyway, here are some great albums you should definitely check out:

Behemoth - Demigod
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Death - Symbolic (this one's a bit thrashier, but it's my favorite Death album)
Death - Human
Decapitated - I don't own any albums but definitely check them out.

You might want to check out Immortal too. Their later stuff is kind of death metalish but it's fucking amazing. At The Heart of Winter, Sons of Northern Darkness are great albums.

naboo said:
Fuck yeah, another Dying Fetus fan. Anyway, here are some great albums you should definitely check out:

Behemoth - Demigod
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Death - Symbolic (this one's a bit thrashier, but it's my favorite Death album)
Death - Human
Decapitated - I don't own any albums but definitely check them out.

You might want to check out Immortal too. Their later stuff is kind of death metalish but it's fucking amazing. At The Heart of Winter, Sons of Northern Darkness are great albums.

At the heart of winter i felt was very sloppishly played.

daz436 said:
if theres one band that makes me laugh at how on earth they got a record deal.. its cannibal corpse... shit lyrics, shit riffs, stupid drums, annoying vocals that sound like theyre being growled through a long toilet roll tube, half-existant basslines.. Yeh I know I said I didn't get what Tool were all about in an earlier thread.. but Im willing to try out and adapt to that... but this band .. no amount of listening or lighting up will get me to appreciate this shit.. sorry lol

Agreed, Cannibal Corpse are utter shit

daz436 said:
if theres one band that makes me laugh at how on earth they got a record deal.. its cannibal corpse... shit lyrics, shit riffs, stupid drums, annoying vocals that sound like theyre being growled through a long toilet roll tube, half-existant basslines.. Yeh I know I said I didn't get what Tool were all about in an earlier thread.. but Im willing to try out and adapt to that... but this band .. no amount of listening or lighting up will get me to appreciate this shit.. sorry lol

I'm not exactly a Cannibal Corpse fan, but this is just...blasphemy.

The lyrics are purposely written over the top (or at least Barnes-era ones are), because that's what they (more-so Barnes) was interested in. The band still writes lyrics like that, but it's not to the extent of "I cum blood from my erection".

Shit riffs? Listen to Frantic Disembowelment and then get back to me. That song FLIES around the fretboard.

Half-existant basslines? Try listening to them, because I can sure hear them. As a bassist, I take offense to this.

Stupid drums? Maybe. I haven't really seen any technical drums out of CC, but then again, they're "brutal" death, not "technical progressive 23/18 time signature" death. That's the problem imo, people can't differentiate between the two. There's bands that mix the two (Necrophagist for sure, Nile imo, bands like that), but then there's bands that don't go for both, but usually only one or the other. Cannibal goes for the "one or the other" method, their's being brutal death.

Nile
Akercocke
At The Gates (The Red In The Sky Is Ours, With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness)

As For Bloodbath. I don't take them seriously. I just couldn't get into some songs. Just a few of the songs on Ressurection Through Carnage were good, but the rest was just shit. Thats my opinion. Maby it'll grow on me though.