Recommend me some “family friendly” anime

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
I’m on a quest for finding some “anime series” that me and my 5 year old daughter can watch together, but doesn’t dumb itself down to the stereotypical Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh! level of anime retardation, but also isn’t too adult with excessive violence, language or have fan service…. and I seem to be falling short on selection.

A few examples of we have watch together that seemed to work so far –

Robotech – She LOVED the Macross Saga, hated southern cross, and was indifferent with New Generation

Last Exile – total winner here!!!

Outlaw Star – not too bad, had some questionable scenes though concerning violence and mature content, but she liked it and mom seemed to reluctantly approve of us watching it.

Zone of Enders – Really liked this one, but same situation as Outlaw Star concerning content.

Gundam Wing – too complicated of a plot for her to follow, thus lost interest quickly and also had some minor questionable content.

Mysterious Cities of Gold – not really a true anime per say (French/Japanese), but were watching this one right now – she really enjoys this one. I loved it when I was her age, so I expected as much for her. Too bad the voice over’s and scripting are pretty cheesy compared to today’s anime, but it is from 82’ so it’s to be expected.

I’m thinking we might start Crest of the Stars next…. I hadn’t seen it in a while, but I recall it being pretty good, maybe a little complicated on the plot, and some light mature content. Just picked up Banner of the Stars in case COTS works.

So… any good suggestions out there?

5 year-old daughter? There's always Sailor Moon. :D (half-joking, but that was like, my favorite thing ever as a 6-year old...!)

Um... what else. I really liked Haibane-Renmei - there's nothing questionable in that series that I can think of, but if you two lean towards series with lots of action, it's probably not what you're looking for. Rozen Maiden, perhaps? Granted, I've only seen the first half of the series or so, but I don't recall anything worrisome. I loved YuYu Hakusho when I was 9-10, but it's looong and the violence might be an issue.

If you were fine with Outlaw Star, then would Cowboy Bebop be out of the question?

Would the no nos include things such as the Thunder Cats or Transformers? Old school anime such as Speed Racer possibly depending on your violence rating. Um. Dragonball? (excluding Z)

Good suggestion! I've considered Thundercats, and have even went as far as trying to buy the season... but they are WAY too over priced. I’ve been waiting for Netflix to put those on their instant-queue for over a year now, and no such luck. I might have to just rent each season and watch them.

Transformers (as well as several other non-anime cartoons of that era) would be a great idea too, but I watched a few episodes a couple of years ago and can honestly say that it (and others like G.I. Joe, MASK, ect) really did not stand the test of time... as a kid it was simple and fun entertainment, but as an adult, not so much... outside of pure nostalgia, some of those older cartoons nearly insult your intelligence as an adult. We actually tried to go the Voltron route, and even though it's actually a good anime, the dialogue and heavy editing for American viewers (kids) makes it difficult to watch, even my daughter wasn't interested in it after a few episodes. Too bad though… it's still a rather good series from the 80's outside of that. :p

Another good suggestion - I think she would like Speed racer… but I can’t seem to enjoy it for myself, even if it is one of the first anime to break out in the U.S. it’s hard to sit through – If I went that far back, I would probably try Battle of the Planets (or the real version – Gatchaman) before Speed Racer, but I might have to bite my lip and give it a shot for my daughters sake.

Although I have watched/own several Dragon Ball episodes, I’m not sure it would fit… it treads a fine line between Under-10-year-old-Pokemon silliness and pseudo-adult entertainment, which is really confusing... even for me. :saint:

5 year-old daughter? There's always Sailor Moon. (half-joking, but that was like, my favorite thing ever as a 6-year old...!)

Actually, A friend of my wife has kept mentioning Sailor Moon and says her two daughters and herself love that series. I’ve seen a few episodes long, long ago and know it’s not my cup of tea (along with Inuyasha) but I have thought about trying it out with my daughter. Sadly, it seems that series is out of print, and really expensive to get.

Um... what else. I really liked Haibane-Renmei - there's nothing questionable in that series that I can think of, but if you two lean towards series with lots of action, it's probably not what you're looking for. Rozen Maiden, perhaps? Granted, I've only seen the first half of the series or so, but I don't recall anything worrisome. I loved YuYu Hakusho when I was 9-10, but it's looong and the violence might be an issue.

If you were fine with Outlaw Star, then would Cowboy Bebop be out of the question?

YuYu Hakusho has been on my own personal list for some time, but I would have to watch a season first and decide if it’s to over the top, or tolerable concerning any violence. Outside of the actual theme, it seems like it might be one to try!

Cowboy Beebop would actually be a great series to watch with her, but it does have some elements that might be… erm… hard to explain to a 5 year old. I think we’ll tackle that one when she’s a little older.

I’ve not heard of Haibane-Renmei or Rozen Maiden, but looking into them now, they seem promising! :worship:

Thank you both for the recommendations! :kickass::headbang:

Good suggestion! I've considered Thundercats, and have even went as far as trying to buy the season... but they are WAY too over priced. I’ve been waiting for Netflix to put those on their instant-queue for over a year now, and no such luck. I might have to just rent each season and watch them.

Just wait till the Thundercats movie comes out :p I think theres one in the works anyway.

Another suggestion: One Piece perhaps (english dubs might be better for this situation). Voltron is another i used to watch.. its basically power rangers before power rangers existed.. but the episodes are so formulaic it might get old after like 10 episodes (53 i think total)

Umm, Urotsukidojii?

Seems like something to watch in a family friendly house ;)

The box says "Definitely NOT for children!"

I'll agree with that, since giant penises destroying a hospital are probably Right Out. :heh:

For a kid.... Maybe Starblazers? Or Captain Harlock/Queen of a Thousand Years, if it were available...

Umm, Urotsukidojii?
Seems like something to watch in a family friendly house

The box says "Definitely NOT for children!"

ummm.... no.... LMAO!!!!

Hell, I've been trying to find, Urotsukidojii? just for myself to watch out of pure morbid curiosity of how terrible and violent I heard it is, but I'll be damned If I'm paying the inflated price on Amazon or eBay.

Back to the subject at hand….

For a kid.... Maybe Starblazers? Or Captain Harlock/Queen of a Thousand Years, if it were available...

I wonder if the old school Space Battleship Yamato aka Star Blazers is on DVD? I loved that growing up as a 9 and 10 year old.

Believe it or not, my wife even recommended getting Star Blazers (a.k.a. SBY) series, since she remembered loving it when she was growing up… but sadly, it is certainly out of the price range. We already wore out Robotech (which is what I grew up with) so I'm thinking of tackling Gatchman…

I agree with the Captain Harlock series though, I wish that was still in print…I'm actually a HUGe fan of that series! I’ve found older episodes/OVA’s that are edited to death on DVD and combined with other cartoons from the era called Captain Harlock and Friends – (now if that doesn’t sound like it’s aimed at kids, I don’t know what is), but nothing officially released domesticly out side of the Harlock Saga OVA and the recent Space Pirate Captain Herlock (ummm… Wtf!?) series.

The Longshot unofficially recommended Princess Tutu in another thread… Already got that one coming, looks very promising and a lot of reviews say it’s for all ages and a great series.

I forgot to mention that we watched Dia-Guard last year... that was actually not too bad. I wouldn't care to watch it on my own, but my daughter loved it! ...I HATE the opening song though, LOL!

Anything else along those lines?

What's wrong with Pokemon? That show is adorable and if you didn't cry when Butterfree left then you have no soul.

Oh and the fact that nobody mentioned Miyazki films (the fam Friendly ones obviously, like Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, etc) means you all lost at this pretty bad.

Oh and the fact that nobody mentioned Miyazki films (the fam Friendly ones obviously, like Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, etc) means you all lost at this pretty bad.

I've actually been thinking more in terms of series instead of movies, for the purpose of Dustin entertaining his family long-term.

I'll never forget the year when a friend of mine dressed in a pretty darn good No-Face (from Spirited Away) costume at Dragon*Con. The film was immensely popular at that time: he literally couldn't walk 20 feet before someone asked him -- yet again -- if they could take a photo. He gave up and 'retired' the costume a day early and used something different thereafter. :)