Recent Anime Adventures (series)

Anyone catch the new Thundercats premier? Its alright so far (typing as watching). I don't like the voices of wiley kit/kat (spelling) but the others are fine for now. Its like they've took what was possible in the original series and expanded the universe.. ie new creatures for starters.

& though it seems snarf is silent in this version, I have to admit he's pretty damn cute/funny.

Anime in general is notorious for some ecchi in most things, but I agree too much can be a major detractor.
This right here is what deters me from really getting into anime/manga. That's going to sound ridiculous when you read the next part of my reply....

*edit* yeah, you had stuff like Urotsukidoji and hentai back then too, but even that was more coherent and adult.
That's how I feel about yaoi. Now it just feels dirty and base, instead of an artistic and beautiful expression of complex relationships. It was intricate stories of subtleties and tangible tension. Now it's all about giggles and blatant vulgarity. Probably goes for yuri too, maybe even moreso with the recent surge of lolicon there to infect it.

Anyone have opinions on BLACK ROCK SHOOTER? I can across some fanart images of it and it looks amazing!

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but truth be told, if I want complex relationships (romance wise anyways), anime is the last place I'd look.

This right here is what deters me from really getting into anime/manga. That's going to sound ridiculous when you read the next part of my reply....

That's how I feel about yaoi. Now it just feels dirty and base, instead of an artistic and beautiful expression of complex relationships. It was intricate stories of subtleties and tangible tension. Now it's all about giggles and blatant vulgarity. Probably goes for yuri too, maybe even moreso with the recent surge of lolicon there to infect it.

Anyone have opinions on BLACK ROCK SHOOTER? I can across some fanart images of it and it looks amazing!

Never heard of it. Is it new? My anime watching has been kinda low lately mostly due to busy schedule/mood and mostly due to netflix and other service hold ups. I've upgraded/(downgraded?) to 2 dvds out at a time though so hopefully more anime soon as I prefer to watch shows on the tv.

Anyone catch the new Thundercats premier? Its alright so far (typing as watching). I don't like the voices of wiley kit/kat (spelling) but the others are fine for now. Its like they've took what was possible in the original series and expanded the universe.. ie new creatures for starters.

& though it seems snarf is silent in this version, I have to admit he's pretty damn cute/funny.

I absolutely loved it! The animation was nice, and I'm glad they kept the CGI to a minimum. (Too many shows are using it as a crutch anymore.) I wasn't bothered by the voices, and Claudis having the same voice actor as the original Lion-O was a really nice touch. I'm really loving that while Lion-O takes shit for not taking his role as prince seriously, he's more of a man-of-the-people than his father is. Tygra being his brother was out of left field was interesting. I wonder if he's adopted or illegitimate. The drama and seriousness of the new show are staggering compared to the original. People died! Blown-the-hell-up died!! And Mumm-Ra is a badass! Conquered Thundera, killed the king, and acquired the Sword Of Omens in one fell swoop. He's done more in one episode than the original did during the entire series. I like that his weakness seems to have changed from his reflection to sunlight. I get the feeling Lion-O was lucky Mumm-Ra got cut off by the sunlight before he could finish the transformation incantation. (That sounds like a Testament album.) I can not wait for the next episode!

I was waiting for Lion-O to bust out

"Yes, I love technology
But not as much as you, you see
But I still love technology
Always and forever "

Time to bump this up. FMA: Brotherhood's run ended on CN last weekend. Ultimately, I have mixed feelings about it in comparison to the original. Certainly some interesting characters to color things up quite a bit (General Armstrong and Ling were personal faves of mine), but the ending was getting really drawn out. I also don't know if the resolution was ultimately satisfying to me.

I've also been watching Ergo Proxy. I'm on the 3rd disc right now, and I thought it started off pretty slow, but it is starting to pick up now that Vincent Law knows about his nature. We'll see where it goes.

Been trying to watch more anime. I dropped to the lowest netflix dvd plan as I just don't watch too many movies now days (two rentals a month is about right if not less) so thats part of it.. but I also subscribed to Hulu Plus and am trying that out. I'd try crunchyroll but I'm not into many of the new series out.

However, I am looking forward to Bakuman 2 (from co-creators of Death Note, very different (slice of life about writing comics)) and as I'm typing watching Death Note Ep1 just to be watching anime.

I'm bumping this thread because I've been addicted to Attack On Titan. Has anyone been watching that?

I've seen the first episode on Crunchyroll. Looks interesting. Given the cosplay at Otakon this year, it definitely seems to be a hot show now.

Personally, I've been catching up on Black Lagoon. It has been pretty good so far.

While it's close to Christmas and not Easter, I'm still in the mood for some (thread) resurrection!

I recently finished watching the episodes of Psycho-Pass on Netflix. I'd recommend this to anyone who liked Ghost in the Shell. It's not as good, but does have some similar-ish themes and nifty ideas. The first several episodes seem to be stand-alone, but end up (at least tangentially) linking to the longer term story arc that takes over the entire second half of the season. There is a scene in one of the middle episodes that was one of the best 60 seconds of anime I've come across. Maybe others who have seen the show can guess which one it was?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Psycho-Pass_episodes

I'm now about half-way through Blue Exorcist. I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would. It starts out very dark for the first couple of episodes, then starts leaning more goofy as the season really takes off. But, it's still a mix of silly / emotional / intense at different times. Recommended for fans of Full Metal Alchemist. (Like above, it is not as good as FMA, but has the same "feel", at least to me.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Blue_Exorcist_episodes

Happy watching!

Ken

Got back into anime recently with Attack on Titan. Excellent series. Went from there to Knights of Sidonia, which was cool but felt a lot like AoT to me. After that I went to Legend of the Legendary Heroes, which I really enjoyed even though it's all over the place. It's about 20% goofy and 80% very grim. Then my wife and I watched Norigami which we both enjoyed quite a bit.

I'm trying to figure out what's next. That's the second solid vote I've heard for Psycho Pass so it may very well be that.

Got back into anime recently with Attack on Titan. Excellent series. Went from there to Knights of Sidonia, which was cool but felt a lot like AoT to me. After that I went to Legend of the Legendary Heroes, which I really enjoyed even though it's all over the place. It's about 20% goofy and 80% very grim. Then my wife and I watched Norigami which we both enjoyed quite a bit.

I'm trying to figure out what's next. That's the second solid vote I've heard for Psycho Pass so it may very well be that.

Personally, the best show I've seen this year is Kill La Kill. You wouldn't think an anime about scantily clad women fighting each other would be a feminist statement, but I think it ultimately is. It helps that just about everyone in the show ends up naked at some point. It also makes interesting points about clothing and fashion.

I'm currently working through Magi: The Kingdom Of Magic and so far it seems interesting.

I skipped over Kill La Kill purely because I thought it would be an absurd naked-fight fanservice abomination. Is it actually not?

It took me a long time to watch Rin, which turned out to be pretty cool, because the cover is a pic of a scantily clad crazy-busty lady. The blurb sounded interesting and it's only 6 eps, so I ended up eventually giving it a shot, and I'm glad I did.

I skipped over Kill La Kill purely because I thought it would be an absurd naked-fight fanservice abomination. Is it actually not?

No, it isn't. While the outfits stay the same for the two characters who wear them, outside the transformation sequence no special attention is given after a certain point. I'd say there is more male fanservice (at least when talking about a particular character) than female. If anything, it is a parody of that sort of fanservice.

To give you an idea what it is like, this was made by some of the same people who made Gurran Lagann. A similar sort of insanity exists here as well.