Recent Anime Adventures (series)

Just finished the first season of Moonlight Mile, and it is possibly going to make my top 5 for best anime series ever. Aside from the rare and awkward sexual content, the story is easily a match for any live-action drama/sci-fi series on the major networks right now. Great dialogue, voice over's, and a perfect mix of suspense and drama. A majority of the time, I forgot I was watching an anime series. It's a bummer that there are no plans in the works for a U.S. release of the 2nd season right now… the 1st season ends on a rather strange note, and I would love to see the rest of the series and how things work out between Lost Man and Goro - even if it was subbed version. Alas, I found a few region 0 imports online, but they were rather pricey and I wasn't too sure about spending that kind of money on a possible pirated version.

Yeah, a lot of the promise of the opening doesn't seem to come to fruition until the 2nd season, it looks like. Personally, I still prefer Planetes to this, but there is some good stuff in here.

Me and the family started Crest of the Stars this week… and I acquired season 2 and 3 before Christmas, (Banner of the Stars I & II respectively). The wife seems to enjoy it a lot, but my daughter has a hard time sitting through it since it has a lot of technical dialogue. I've already seen CotS and loved it, so I'm looking forward to watching the other 2 seasons of BotS. My only complaint to this franchise is that the voice acting is absolutely terrible, but tolerable.

Personally, I've only seen it subbed, so I don't know much about what the dub is like.

I keep wondering why BotS III hasn't gotten a DVD release in the states. I do see a lot of places where you can see it online (probably fansubs), but no hint of a US release.

Finished Princess Tutu last week, and it actually turned out rather good near the end. Bottom line - it is probably one of the strangest anime series I've ever watched. It certainly was unique, with a brilliant twist in the story, but I'm not sure I could watch that one again.

Yes, it does have a pretty good ending. Personally, I like it a lot. But, I've seen much stranger stuff than that.

I've been watching more Funimation Channel stuff lately. Nothing has been particularly grabbing me. Guyver is pretty solid. Casshern Sins is pretty dark and depressing. Oh! Edo Rocket is very silly, with a lot of breaking of the 4th wall. Corpse Princess is somewhat bland. Same with Devil May Cry. They just started Phantom, which has a somewhat interesting premise. I have yet to see a full episode of Black Butler.

Yeah, the 1st series is so many leaps and bounds better than the second one, though the second one is worth watching if only for the incredibly dramatic drop in animation quality it suffers, about 2/3rd of the way in. Those goofy, misshapen and misplaced eyes do so tickle me.

Yeah, the 1st series is so many leaps and bounds better than the second one, though the second one is worth watching if only for the incredibly dramatic drop in animation quality it suffers, about 2/3rd of the way in. Those goofy, misshapen and misplaced eyes do so tickle me.

I've had that set for a decade now, but have never made it past the first disc. One of these days...

I've had that set for a decade now, but have never made it past the first disc. One of these days...

Same here, but that's true for a lot of series that I own.

I recently saw the whole run of Speed Grapher off of Netflix. Overall, I think it is a pretty good show, even if it isn't Gonzo's highest animation quality. Definitely more on the adult side of things.

On Funimation, I watched all of Claymore and Eden Of The East. Claymore's ending was satisfying, tho it definitely had some open questions that suggest more. (Considering the Manga is still running, understandable.) Eden, of course, ends before the ending with the end of the story coming in two movies, but I liked what I did see.

My Netflix queue has dried up now that I'm almost done with Arrested Development, and my wife and I are done with Parks & Recreation ... so it's time to dig me out some anime!

I scanned this thread and pulled out a few things to try. I really wanted to check out Moonlight Mile, based on Dustin's recommendation, but Netflix lists the release date as "unknown". Maybe I'll track it down some other way, but for now I'll stick with what I can click on and have delivered. Some of these seem to be loooong series, but I'll at least try out the first few episodes:

(1) Serial Experiments Lain
(2) Saint Seiya
(3) Code Geass
(4) Lupin (this came up as a recommendation in Netflix; I saw that Miyazaki directed at least one set of them, so I'll jump in at the beginning and see what happens...)

Feel free to warn me away from the Lupin discs (there are a lot!) or encourage me on them :)

EDIT: Turns out Netflix has Lupin listed in the catalog, but hardly any of the discs actually available. I'm putting only "Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro" in my queue, since Miyazaki directed it.

Ken

Apollo: I have the whole Ergo Proxy series and once you finish it your brain will be fried, it is killer, and it takes so many turns that you may not expect.

Me, I haven't been watching much lately.... I've been trying to watch all the 'Galaxy Express 999' series, but don't seem to have lots of time to..

Good series. It will screw with your head a bit.

(3) Code Geass

I had to stop watching after a certain event, but up to that point, it was a pretty good series. It is pretty much about how far are you willing to go and what you are willing to sacrifice for revenge, and the stakes increase as the series goes on.

(4) Lupin (this came up as a recommendation in Netflix; I saw that Miyazaki directed at least one set of them, so I'll jump in at the beginning and see what happens...)

Miyazaki directed The Castle Of Cagliostro, which is different than your typical Lupin III story. You definitely should at least watch that.

Of the rest of the movies, my favorite that I've seen is "Dead Or Alive", which the directing credit is given to Monkey Punch, the mangaka for Lupin III. "The Secret Of Mamo" is the first film and I thought it was really weird. I know I've seen "Dragon Of Doom", but I don't remember much about it. "The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure" I remember had some gratuitous nudity.

Personally, I'm a fan of Lupin III and often cosplay as him at conventions. (Probably because he's one of the few characters I can pull off.)

Just as a note, on the 21st of April, Syfy will be running Star Blazers. Considering how much the DVD sets are, I'm definitely recording.

Apollo: I have the whole Ergo Proxy series and once you finish it your brain will be fried, it is killer, and it takes so many turns that you may not expect.

Netflix does come in handy a few times :) Just the opening minutes were a mind trip. When i started watching it i was just watching something before i passed out for the night. 3 minutes later: wtf, amazing, wow, etc and this is gonna have to wait till in the proper state of mind. Hence why i haven't watched more than 1 episode yet ...

Other anime news:
dropped detective conan. Its fine but I don't think I could watch all 400 (and counting) episodes unlike One Piece.

Considering dropping Kenshin. Its just certain things about it that make it annoying as hell to me.. but I am just on like the 5th episode or so.

My Netflix queue has dried up now

Jealous lol

Black Lagoon (can get kind of confusing cause theres a few episodes in season 02 i think with a russian to english/vice versa translator invovled as well with japanese people not being able to speak english well)

Death Note (watch the first few episodes- english dubs are fine thats how i watched it):

One Piece (note this is like around episode 150-160; also - don't watch with english dubs.. they turn this brilliant thing into crap):

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished watching Bubblegum Crisis 2040. Not a bad series at all, much darker that the original OVA, and much deeper in content. Seemed to have a few filler episodes, but overall it was really cool!

Me and my daughter stared watching Crest/Banner of the Stars. I love it... she hates it. It was TOO tame with a lot of space opera dialogue/drama, which she couldn't sit through. I ended up finishing it on my own. Instead of that, I started watching The Big O with her... she doesn't seem to want to watch it when it starts due to having failed her with BOTS, but as each episode get's going, she totally gets sucked into it. I love this series, and could watch it over and over... it's got a classic Anime feel with a U.S. comic book twist. My wife laughs her ass off every time they call the robots "Mega-Deuce"... I admit, it does sound like a toilet reference.

I'm near the tail end of watching the series Noir... not what I expected at all. I'm not sure why, but this is probably one of the most boring series I've sat through. It's starting to get a little better now that I'm on episode 21, but it's soooooo choppy and cryptic with really no point at all to what it's about. Now it's starting to come together a little bit now, so I'll finish it off with hopes it gets more interesting. Outside of two assassins having ties to a secret underworld, I have no idea what the point of this series is yet. There are several other things that annoy the hell out of me with this one, especially how many holes in the plot there is, but it’s hard to pin it all down specifically. This one is going back up eBay.

I'll finally start Neon Genesis Evangelion next week... I've got to see what all the hype is about on this series. It's rated in the "top 5" on many anime sites and other fan lists.

I dusted off the original Record of Lodoss War series recently. I forgot just how well done that series is, and my 5-year old son is getting into it in a big way.

I've been wanting to check this series out for years. I see it for cheap on eBay once in a great while, but always seem to miss getting it. I'll have to make a bigger effort - if your 5 year old son digs it, then it might appeal to my 5 year old daughter! The 1st season always seems to go for cheap, the 2nd season seem to be a bit of an expensive novelty item? LOL!

Got some lighter animes to start watch:
Rurouni Kenshin
Also started watching Ergo Proxy

The Rurouni Kenshin (or Samuria X) OVA's are actually pretty good! I have never watch the actual TV series though...
Ergo Proxy seems to be this extremely elusive series that I can't seem to find outside of over-inflated priced used copies on eBay. The whole plot idea of the series has me very interested, and I've wanted to check it out for several years now. I could have sworn I saw in a copy of a recent Right Stuf mag that Funmation was re-releasing it? I could be wrong... but I hope that's true.

I recently saw the whole run of Speed Grapher off of Netflix. Overall, I think it is a pretty good show, even if it isn't Gonzo's highest animation quality. Definitely more on the adult side of things.
On Funimation, I watched all of Claymore and Eden Of The East. Claymore's ending was satisfying, tho it definitely had some open questions that suggest more. (Considering the Manga is still running, understandable.) Eden, of course, ends before the ending with the end of the story coming in two movies, but I liked what I did see.

Nice! I actually have Speed Grapher, but haven't watched it yet... Also, I just got Claymore for under $25 finally! I'm looking forward to watching that one, I've read a lot of good reviews on it.

I scanned this thread and pulled out a few things to try. I really wanted to check out Moonlight Mile, based on Dustin's recommendation, but Netflix lists the release date as "unknown". Maybe I'll track it down some other way, but for now I'll stick with what I can click on and have delivered. Some of these seem to be loooong series, but I'll at least try out the first few episodes:
(2) Saint Seiya
(3) Code Geass
Feel free to warn me away from the Lupin discs (there are a lot!) or encourage me on them :)
EDIT: Turns out Netflix has Lupin listed in the catalog, but hardly any of the discs actually available. I'm putting only "Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro" in my queue, since Miyazaki directed it.

Moonlight Mile is FANTASTIC!!! The only drawback is that it ends rather abruptly on Episode 12. There is a 2nd season, but as of now, there is no plans to release it in the states. I have no idea why it isn't getting a stateside release, that is one of the best Anime dramas I've seen in a long time. I've been trying to get a copy of the 2nd season with English subs so I can see what happens... no luck yet. Still, I recommend you check it out, even if you have to cough up the $15 bucks to get the series on DVD - totally worth it.

Serial Experiments Lain - now that it's been re-released, I might check this one out finally
Saint Seiya - a bit dated, and corny, (ala Voltron or Gatchaman) but pretty fun series! I only watch the first handful of episodes and I liked it. I guess it's a long series, and only 1/4 of it has had a proper U.S. release thus far.
Code Geass - the plot outline to this one is in my list to check out rather soon.
Lupin - yup, tons of releases here, but the most popular one is obviously the Miyazaki one. I haven't seen any of them yet, but will have to at least check out Castle of Cagliostro. I've caught some previews to the others, and they almost look like total "City Hunter" comedies.

Me, I haven't been watching much lately.... I've been trying to watch all the 'Galaxy Express 999' series, but don't seem to have lots of time to.

Well, you just confirmed that I MUST get Ergo Proxy! You really can't go wrong with anything by Leiji - I haven't seen Galaxy Express 999, but have wanted to for some time. I guess the only way to get it is as an import with subs? I have most everything that is in the leiji-verse, and this is the one series I haven't even touched yet. I have Galaxy Railways... but I haven't watched it yet, and other than it being in Leiji universe, he had little or nothing to do with the series from what I learned.

Just as a note, on the 21st of April, Syfy will be running Star Blazers. Considering how much the DVD sets are, I'm definitely recording.

Yeah, those DVD's are stupid expensive! My wife will be VERY happy to hear this news! ...anyone have an idea when the Battleship Yamato movie will be out on DVD with subs? Those previews Paul posted a while back were over the top!

Death Note (watch the first few episodes- english dubs are fine thats how i watched it):

I saw two episodes of this on Adult Swim, and it was pretty interesting. I know it has had a ton of hype behind it... I'll have to revisit it again sometime.

I got the Ergo Proxy via Netflix if that helps.. death note is on there as well. The only problem i found with death note is that it has like a part 3 when it could of ended at part two perhaps. Its done well though

Dustin - I highly recommend the first Record of Lodoss War series. It's just a near-perfect D&D/epic fantasy series. It's violent, obviously, but the bloodshed isn't over the top. The characters are very memorable too. It has dragons, knights, kings, elves, dwarves, magic swords, evil sorcerors...pretty much an animated Rhapsody album.

Netflix does come in handy a few times :) Just the opening minutes were a mind trip. When i started watching it i was just watching something before i passed out for the night. 3 minutes later: wtf, amazing, wow, etc and this is gonna have to wait till in the proper state of mind. Hence why i haven't watched more than 1 episode yet ...

Other anime news:
dropped detective conan. Its fine but I don't think I could watch all 400 (and counting) episodes unlike One Piece.

Considering dropping Kenshin. Its just certain things about it that make it annoying as hell to me.. but I am just on like the 5th episode or so.

Please do not drop Rurouni Kenshin the tv series...you are actually about to get to one of the most intense parts you have seen...and season 2 is a masterpiece...one of the best stories I have ever seen. The entire 2nd season is one long epic and it truly delivers. :worship: However, please skip the 3rd season entirely...they brought in a whole new team and it's a disgrace to the series. :puke:

I'm watching Rozen Maiden on youtube, an English dub no less, and it's actually not so bad. A friend recommended it to me because I don't like things too silly and outrageous, but I like pretty, elaborate characters, cute stories but with a deep weird twist... well that's Rosen Maiden! The only problem is there's still a presence of the unrealistic and childish reactions/expressions, much like this, that remind me I'm watching a "cartoon" as opposed to a story that happens to be drawn. That bugs the heck out of me when the rest of the anime looks stunning and graceful like this. And there's one particularly annoying character who, despite her adorably obvious name and slightly sadistic temperament, almost killed any hope of going forward with the series. She still might, not sure yet. Maybe she'll even out a bit as the episodes progress.

That being said, the music is great, the concept is definitely up my alley, and the artwork is incredible. Oh, and the English dub is very well-done!
Start here:

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished the 13 episodes of Serial Experiments Lain. It made my brain hurt. But it was the perfect length, and the story was concise and not drawn out artificially. There are also some terrific visual effects in this series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Experiments_Lain

Now I'm 2 discs into Code Geass and enjoying it a lot. My only gripe would be that the tone switches awkwardly between pretty brutal scenes (like mass murder of civilians by military troops) and silly juvenile scenes (like where three girls say, "Let's get together and talk about which boys at school we like!"). But I really like the setting of the story, and the way the main characters are trying to outmaneuver each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_geass

Ken

I've officially dropped Naruto: S. Originally I kept it because I liked whole shinobi system. I didn't watch the last 5 episodes just due to time and then when i started to catch up i couldn't take it anymore. I thought shonen anime was supposed to be about battles and now i'm getting nothing but speeches and speeches during fight scenes (see bleach, which i dropped earlier this year after that filler/drama fest).

Would also like to recommend to any music fans out there that they watch Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. The anime is about 26 episodes and is basically about a young guy learning how to play guitar and joining a band and performing. I'd recommend the english dub as I personally think the singers are a lot better. I finished this baby in about 2 weeks which is the fastest for any anime that I've watched. And Maho is just hot.

I'm near the tail end of watching the series Noir... not what I expected at all. I'm not sure why, but this is probably one of the most boring series I've sat through. It's starting to get a little better now that I'm on episode 21, but it's soooooo choppy and cryptic with really no point at all to what it's about. Now it's starting to come together a little bit now, so I'll finish it off with hopes it gets more interesting. Outside of two assassins having ties to a secret underworld, I have no idea what the point of this series is yet. There are several other things that annoy the hell out of me with this one, especially how many holes in the plot there is, but it’s hard to pin it all down specifically. This one is going back up eBay.

I thought the opening was a lot more interesting and then in the end I found myself bored to death cause they couldn't wrap it up yet.