Recent Anime Adventures (series)

I couldn't disagree more, and this is someone who practically grew up with DBZ. Going back to DBZ now that Kai is out, it's clear to me that it was as mindless as anime gets. From what I've seen from Naruto so far, it started out completely cliche and lame but completely took me by surprise in being far more serious and complex than I could've expected it to be.

I'm not an anime expert or anything, but I've seen my fair share, and most of them haven't touched this level of richness in terms of universe while containing such intelligent dialog. There are some cheesy cliche moments for sure, but alot of the dialog is actually quite brilliant if you ask me, even moreso than Death Note and the like. But then again, I'm only like 80 episodes in, and I've been told it starts to go downhill soon.

I have to admit that (outside of the music) my initial experience with Bleach was less than favorable, and I had written it off as Adult swim’s attempt to once again suck adults into another Shōnenseries masqurading as an adult anime series. However, I’ve been catching a few more episodes on adult swim over the last month while flipping channels, and I have to admit that it’s starting to become interesting.

It isn't masqurading as anything. It is definitely a Shonen series, and probably one of the better ones. Personally, I think the first three seasons (Up to episode 63) are pretty bad ass, tho it gets docked a step from the standpoint that there seems to be little threat that any of the main characters will die. Since then it hasn't quite risen to that level of bad-assery, but it is still quite good. (We are now up to Season 9, episode 182, on CN)

Personally, I think it’s way over-hyped. I don’t hate it… but also don’t care for it either and I have a hard time trying to watch it. Although it has a decent story arc, and well developed characters (from what I’ve watched, which is only a handful of episodes), the dialouge and character interaction seems shallow and panders to the “under 14” crowd, much like Dragon Ball Z, Inuyasha, ect. Ect. In short, it’s a Shōnen anime in my eyes which does nothing for me.

That kind of anime is great for lazy Saturday morning entertainment, or if I’m wanting to watch something with my daughter, but on my own time, I just can’t seem to get into it.

Personally, I find it interesting that Naruto gets this reaction, but not DBZ. Maybe it is because DBZ is pre-internet and before the anime "boom", which makes DBZ the show a lot of the community grew up with. Those that came in with Naruto are looked at a bit more as Johnny-come-latelys. It also doesn't help that Naruto is marketed to death. (Ninja headbands are way too commonplace.)

Personally, I haven't been able to get into the show, partially because Naruto himself is very annoying.

BTW, I do find it interesting that InuYasha is considered Shonen, particularly when there are a lot of Soujo aspects to the show.

In other stuff, sales has made buying more anime way too tempting. Amazon has had Funimation SAVE sets on sale for a couple weeks now and Right Stuf has a sale going on with a lot of stuff that had me make my first purchace in years from them.

So I picked up from Amazon:

The Wallflower (I saw a bit of this at a con and it was hilarious. Director of Excel Saga does "Bishie eye for the scary goth girl.")

Kodocha, Season 1 (My introduction to Akitaroh Daichi. I originally watch this through fansubs back in the day. Unfortunately, I hear there were comprimises to get this released in the states.)

Right Stuf:

Romeo x Juliet (An interesting take on Shakespheare's play, setting up the Capulets as former ruling family overthrown by the Montagues, with Juliet as a Robin Hood-like figure.)

Eden Of The East (Don't really know much other than there is a lot of hype behind the series right now.)

Oh, and Princess Tutu is excellent. I'll have to find it on DVD at some point.

[/COLOR]
Personally, I find it interesting that Naruto gets this reaction, but not DBZ. Maybe it is because DBZ is pre-internet and before the anime "boom", which makes DBZ the show a lot of the community grew up with. Those that came in with Naruto are looked at a bit more as Johnny-come-latelys. It also doesn't help that Naruto is marketed to death. (Ninja headbands are way too commonplace.)

Personally, I haven't been able to get into the show, partially because Naruto himself is very annoying.

I grew up with DBZ and am revisiting it through Kai. While it's enjoyable and fun, it's also completely idiotic on every scale.

I feel that your citations are the reasons that kept me from enjoying Naruto for all this time. From the way it was marketed, and from the way alot of weeaboo nerds jocked it along the lines of (IMO) the atrociously stupid Full Metal Alchemist and the like, I didn't even give it a shot. Additionally, when I actually sat down a month or so ago and started it, the first 10 episodes almost made me want to give up due to the title character's annoying vibe as well. But there's definitely a charm to his annoying behavior IMO. I feel like my praise for the show is a massive anime-nerd taboo to the hardcore fan, yet I find far more depth in its dialog and character development and universe than I've found in any anime I've ever seen. And not only that, but the usage of significantly up-scaling the animation quality for major fight scenes but downscaling it during dialog-laden moments is genius. It plays out movie-quality smooth when it needs to be and doesn't when it doesn't, which adds superb action to the equation as well. I almost feel as though it's the perfect anime. haha!

As for the "under 14 comment." It's more heavy-handed and deep than Miyazaki films, and just as bloody as Mononoke. I just don't get why it gets lumped in with the kids stuff just because it has children protagonist. So far my only complaint with the series is that it at times gets hilariously misogynistic.

Thanks for the input on Paprika, everyone! It sounds like something I can't go wrong with, so I'll be checking it out just as soon as I can.

You're also changing my mind/apathy about Naruto. *ponders for a moment*

i like more comedy anime like

City Hunter
The Slayers
Full Metal Panic
Nadesco
Trouble Chocolate
Steel Angel Kurumi
Rune Soldier
Burn Up Excess

I just can't watch any anime anymore like i could in middle/high school, i was the anime guy anything Japanese I liked it no matter what from like Captain Harlock(which sucks bad to me now) to like Record of Lodess War, and all the stuff on Cartoon Network at the time which was Sailor Moon, and some others, but anyway after watching and collecting so many different types of anime i was getting kind of bored with it, and I found myself only really liking comedies and romantic comedies, I really don't know why. but that's all i really collect now, I still have tons of old anime vhs tape and dvd's and i tried to watch like Roujin Z, Wrath of the Ninja the other day and couldn't finish them. oh well, Oh yeah Labrinth of Flames is another very great anime, but of course anything with Eric Stuart doing a voice in it has got to be good, he's an amazing voice actor.

Well, I'm pretty sure you might have already seen these, given that you like comedy Animes,
I just thought I'd recommend-

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi-
this series I watched several years ago on G4, and really LOVED it!
It was funny as hell & VERY TWISTED! (in a good way! :) )
I never finished the series, so I'm still not exactly sure
just how long it is?

Sorcerer Hunters-yeah it's old, but DAMN was it funny & pretty cool
IMO! (Incidentally, I've got a Sorcerer Hunters T-Shirt w/ Tira & Chocolate
on the front!) WOO HOO! BOOBIES! :lol:

Oh & I wanted to also recommend-
The Night Warriors Series- (Yeah it's old too!)
Based on the AWESOMELY KICK ASS
Capcom Darkstalkers video fighting game, the 2
part dvd collection is long sought after by a lot of anime
afficinadsos, (I only have the VHS ones :( )
Anywho, I LOVE all the charcaters from that game,
most especially, Morrigan-The Succubus!!!
The story & plot were very good btw!
Check that one out too, if you've not seen any
of those either! :kickass:

I grew up with DBZ and am revisiting it through Kai. While it's enjoyable and fun, it's also completely idiotic on every scale.

My son is discovering DBZ right now through Kai, tho my wife doesn't really like him watching it. She has a thing against violence.

along the lines of (IMO) the atrociously stupid Full Metal Alchemist and the like

Dem's fightin' words! :devil:

There is a lot of things to say about FMA, but stupid isn't one of them. Maybe you want to give it another chance with FMA: Brotherhood, which is a redux of the series that follows closer to the original manga. I liked the original series and I'm liking the new series so far.

So far my only complaint with the series is that it at times gets hilariously misogynistic.

What shonen anime doesn't at some point? Maybe the ones that don't have any women at all....

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi-
this series I watched several years ago on G4, and really LOVED it!
It was funny as hell & VERY TWISTED! (in a good way! :) )
I never finished the series, so I'm still not exactly sure
just how long it is?

13 episodes. It is a good series, tho it starts to run out of steam toward the end as they are trying to wrap up the "plot". Probably a better self-referential comedy than Excel Saga, mainly from the fact that it is easier to get the references.

Sorcerer Hunters-yeah it's old, but DAMN was it funny & pretty cool
IMO! (Incidentally, I've got a Sorcerer Hunters T-Shirt w/ Tira & Chocolate
on the front!) WOO HOO! BOOBIES! :lol:

I've had it sitting around for years. One of these days I'll watch the whole thing, but it hasn't been a high priority.

My son is discovering DBZ right now through Kai, tho my wife doesn't really like him watching it. She has a thing against violence.

There is a lot of things to say about FMA, but stupid isn't one of them. Maybe you want to give it another chance with FMA: Brotherhood, which is a redux of the series that follows closer to the original manga. I liked the original series and I'm liking the new series so far.

What shonen anime doesn't at some point? Maybe the ones that don't have any women at all....

13 episodes. It is a good series, tho it starts to run out of steam toward the end as they are trying to wrap up the "plot". Probably a better self-referential comedy than Excel Saga, mainly from the fact that it is easier to get the references.

I've had it sitting around for years. One of these days I'll watch the whole thing, but it hasn't been a high priority.

No problemo bro,
Oh & thanks for the info on "Abenobashi"!
Just some suggestions of some of my faves!
Also, just for the record, a good friend of mine
also recommended "Sprigun" or was it "Sprigan"
(I can't remember which spelling? lol)
Have you seen that one as well?

Word. I mean, idk how old he is, but I remember when DBZ first aired here and I was pretty young myself. It was sooo heavily censored. I remember instead of killing you they would "send you to the next dimension." Hahaha

I actually checked out a few episodes of Brotherhood and also One Piece (which I've never seen before). OP reminds me of the original Dragonball, and Brotherhood just seemed as silly as FMA always did to me. Sorry homie.

Hahahahaha for sure.

Just finished watching the SoulTaker series. Pretty interesting idea, but has a very slow plot and character development, not to mention a strange, artsy-fartsy, stained glass, still-life style animation. The action sequences are pretty amazing, but they are few and far between, and don’t make up for the hole-filled, discombobulated story line. Got all four volumes for $15 on eBay a month back… and I think that’s where these will end up again rather than in my permanent collection – I don’t see myself watching it again, it was a challenge to sit through the first time to say the least. I guess it was Pioneers (aka Geneon) first attempt at a more adult oriented series.

Started watching Project Blue Earth SOS today, and after two episodes I’m already enjoying this one quite a bit. Great animation, with decent voice acting, and a very unique spin on mixing elements of 50’s and modern sci-fi, with a very slight steam-punk edge.

We also sat down and started watching Princess Tutu as a family last week. I think we’re into episode 5 right now, and the consensus thus far – Daughter absolutely LOVES it, my wife absolutely HATES it… and the jury is still out for me. :p

Started watching Project Blue Earth SOS today, and after two episodes I’m already enjoying this one quite a bit. Great animation, with decent voice acting, and a very unique spin on mixing elements of 50’s and modern sci-fi, with a very slight steam-punk edge.

I thought the series was a hoot. A bit of an unusual format (50m episodes) makes it seem more like an old-style OVA.

We also sat down and started watching Princess Tutu as a family last week. I think we’re into episode 5 right now, and the consensus thus far – Daughter absolutely LOVES it, my wife absolutely HATES it… and the jury is still out for me. :p

Heh, you are still very early in the series. It will get more interesting very soon.

The holidays added more to my backlog. Amazon had a sale on Funimation SAVE sets, so I picked up "The Wallflower" and "Kodocha" Season One. I also made my first purchase in years at Right Stuf and picked up "Romeo x Juliet" and "Eden Of The East" Bluray.

Course, seeing the occasional episode of "Claymore" on the Funimation channel reminds me that I need to continue watching my DVDs of it. I really enjoy what I've seen of it so far.

Okay, I'm officially caught up on Naruto (both parts 1 and the ongoing part 2 -- skipping most but not all of the filler that I was warned about) and I have to say that I REALLY don't get the hate for it. I can't watch any other anime out there right now haha (well besides anything by Miyazaki).

I used to love reading the Naruto manga, but stopped around the middle of Shippuden. I got SO attached to some of the characters, not even gonna lie. I forgot why I stopped, actually, but I read some of the spoilers and went "WTF?!" at them... so I'm not too sure how willing I am to catch up. :I

Heh, you are still very early in the series. It will get more interesting very soon.

I have to admit, after episode 12 Princess Tutu started to get really interesting, and took a bit of a twist on the plot. Were on episode 15 now, and my wife (who still claims to hate it) is certain Duck and Faquire are going to hook up. I'm not really sold on the series entirely, but it has been pretty entertaining thus far.

The holidays added more to my backlog. Amazon had a sale on Funimation SAVE sets, so I picked up "The Wallflower" and "Kodocha" Season One. I also made my first purchase in years at Right Stuf and picked up "Romeo x Juliet" and "Eden Of The East" Bluray.

I haven't watched any blu ray versions of any anime yet... I guess it depends on what series and when it was released, as I think most of the animation wouldn't be that much more hi-def in resolution than the DVD version? I've been curious to see "The Wallflower" even though it looks fairly androgynous, and "Romeo x Juliet" has been on my list for a long time to check out. "Kodocha" and "Eden of the East" seem to be out of my league concerning my personal taste though.

Course, seeing the occasional episode of "Claymore" on the Funimation channel reminds me that I need to continue watching my DVDs of it. I really enjoy what I've seen of it so far.
Ironically, I've wanted to watch this series for along time, and almost got it on blu-ray several times recently. Not because I wanted to watch it in hi-def, but because that version always seems to be $20 less than the DVD collection. I've seen the Blu-ray go for $15-$20 on eBay brand new, and the DVD version is always $35+ no matter what.... even USED! Really odd.....

Okay, I'm officially caught up on Naruto (both parts 1 and the ongoing part 2 -- skipping most but not all of the filler that I was warned about) and I have to say that I REALLY don't get the hate for it. I can't watch any other anime out there right now haha (well besides anything by Miyazaki)

Well, I don't hate Naruto... I just can't get into it. Now, my 5 year old daughter on the other hand, I'll bet dollars to donuts she'd love it, which means I'll end up watching it at some point if we run out of other series options.

You just can't go wrong with Miyazaki... we watched Kiki's Delivery service last weekend, and will be viewing My Neighbor Totoro this weekend.

Just finished watching Virus Buster Serge. Not too bad, but it had a very hard-to-follow plot outline... no real character development either. Things finally start to make sense near the last two episodes, but it seems to kind of leave things hanging at the end as if they expected to keep the series going... but didn't.

I'm on a "Boomers" kick I guess, since I just watched A.D. Police Files 1-3 this weekend... classic and terrible late 80's anime. I don't know why, but I love that old stuff. That mid-to-late 80's anime is like the black metal of anime. It is so raw and under produced, yet still enjoyable. I have also started watching the original Bubblegum Crisis OVA's this week... again, late 80's anime, but I can also see why it has such a cult following, it's surprisingly well done.

Finally, (this one is for Pellaz - I think he is the only other person that might remember these) the family sat down this past weekend and watched two anime movies I hadn't seen since I was probably eight years old watching the Disney Chanel on cable.... Unico. The first Unico movie is fairly annoying with the worst voice acting ever, and the Mr. Rogers oriented plot is laughable, but the last 15 minutes is worth the trouble... absolutely classic. Next up was Unico and the Island of Adventure - Much better storyline and voice acting, but this one is far more creepy than it is cute. I would not recommend watching this one under the influence of contraband, no sir, not at all. It's like the anime version of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Wicked Cool!

I have to admit, after episode 12 Princess Tutu started to get really interesting, and took a bit of a twist on the plot. Were on episode 15 now, and my wife (who still claims to hate it) is certain Duck and Faquire are going to hook up. I'm not really sold on the series entirely, but it has been pretty entertaining thus far.

Sort of, but remember that Duck is, well, a duck.

I haven't watched any blu ray versions of any anime yet... I guess it depends on what series and when it was released, as I think most of the animation wouldn't be that much more hi-def in resolution than the DVD version? I've been curious to see "The Wallflower" even though it looks fairly androgynous, and "Romeo x Juliet" has been on my list for a long time to check out. "Kodocha" and "Eden of the East" seem to be out of my league concerning my personal taste though.

Blu-Ray is debatable. New releases are usually HD transfers (Like Eden), but anything that's an older series that has moved to Blu-Ray is usually an upscale. The only real benefit there is maybe less discs.

I saw a bit of "The Wallflower" at a convention and thought it was hilarious. Same director as Excel Saga, BTW. Kodocha was my introduction to Akitaroh Daichi (Elf Princess Rane, Jubei-Chan, Animation Runner Kuromi, Fruits Basket) and I've been a fan ever since.

Ironically, I've wanted to watch this series for along time, and almost got it on blu-ray several times recently. Not because I wanted to watch it in hi-def, but because that version always seems to be $20 less than the DVD collection. I've seen the Blu-ray go for $15-$20 on eBay brand new, and the DVD version is always $35+ no matter what.... even USED! Really odd.....

Well, as said above, Claymore is an upscale, so there isn't much advantage to having it on Blu-ray, so it probably has limited appeal on a smaller format. It also has been on sale a lot lately.

Finally, (this one is for Pellaz - I think he is the only other person that might remember these)

Umm, thanks for calling me an old coot? :lol:

...the family sat down this past weekend and watched two anime movies I hadn't seen since I was probably eight years old watching the Disney Chanel on cable.... Unico. The first Unico movie is fairly annoying with the worst voice acting ever, and the Mr. Rogers oriented plot is laughable, but the last 15 minutes is worth the trouble... absolutely classic. Next up was Unico and the Island of Adventure - Much better storyline and voice acting, but this one is far more creepy than it is cute. I would not recommend watching this one under the influence of contraband, no sir, not at all. It's like the anime version of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Wicked Cool!

Hmm, actually I don't remember these, but I am, as Spock once said, "understandably curious." :)

Umm, thanks for calling me an old coot?

Your welcome! …and I believe I also dated myself with my previous comment

Hmm, actually I don't remember these, but I am, as Spock once said, "understandably curious."

Really? As Spock also once said, “Fascinating…” - With your knowledge of early classics like Harlock, Gatchaman and Battleship Yamato, I assumed you had run across this at some point. It’s worth checking out though, especially the 2nd movie.

Started Darker Than Black. Really good!!!!

Ah, very cool! That series is on my list to check out! I've been looking for an affordable copy of both seasons for a while, and nearly nailed one down on eBay a month ago, but lost by a few bucks.

Just finished the first season of Moonlight Mile, and it is possibly going to make my top 5 for best anime series ever. Aside from the rare and awkward sexual content, the story is easily a match for any live-action drama/sci-fi series on the major networks right now. Great dialogue, voice over's, and a perfect mix of suspense and drama. A majority of the time, I forgot I was watching an anime series. It's a bummer that there are no plans in the works for a U.S. release of the 2nd season right now… the 1st season ends on a rather strange note, and I would love to see the rest of the series and how things work out between Lost Man and Goro - even if it was subbed version. Alas, I found a few region 0 imports online, but they were rather pricey and I wasn't too sure about spending that kind of money on a possible pirated version.

Starting Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 today…

Me and the family started Crest of the Stars this week… and I acquired season 2 and 3 before Christmas, (Banner of the Stars I & II respectively). The wife seems to enjoy it a lot, but my daughter has a hard time sitting through it since it has a lot of technical dialogue. I've already seen CotS and loved it, so I'm looking forward to watching the other 2 seasons of BotS. My only complaint to this franchise is that the voice acting is absolutely terrible, but tolerable.

Finished Princess Tutu last week, and it actually turned out rather good near the end. Bottom line - it is probably one of the strangest anime series I've ever watched. It certainly was unique, with a brilliant twist in the story, but I'm not sure I could watch that one again.