Recent Anime Adventures (series)

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Last year I started checking out the anime series Death Note, in this old thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa-lounge/422511-death-note.html

Here are the anime series I've now watched in their entirety:

Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The Big O
Fullmetal Alchemist

(I've sampled a couple of other series but didn't continue with them.)

I've really enjoyed all of the series. But one common thread has been that most of the series don't end well - particularly Neon Genesis Evangelion and The Big O.

Death Note fizzles out - it went 10-15 episodes too long, and started repeating itself, to the point that I didn't really care anymore; but, the first 10-15 episodes are some of the best TV ever.

Cowboy Bebop stayed fairly consistent throughout its run, and didn't end strangely, it just ended. While I liked the series, I never felt that it was really compelling, so I was sort of ambivelent about getting to the end to begin with.

Both Neon Genesis Evangelion and The Big O end on a weird metaphysical left turn. Picture a Saturday Night Live take on a hoity toity French art film, animate it, and you'll have the endings of both series :) The titles of both final episodes should be "WTF?".

But then along came the series I finished most recently, Fullmetal Alchemist. Wow! This series fires on all cylinders throughout its 51 episodes, and ends really well. The ending doesn't tie everything up, but it's a great conclusion (or at least rest stop) regardless. I recommend this series very highly. It has great colorful animation, a great soundtrack, it's full of the entire emotional spectrum from good humor to really sad moments or memories, and best of all, the voice acting is superb.

So, now I'm on to Ghost in the Shell. I'm a few episodes into the first season of that, so I haven't drawn any conclusions yet.

Ken

It might not be your cup of tea but I highly recommend Azumanga Daioh. It's a slice of life anime that is hilarious. Don't let the fact that it's about young girls scare you off. The only issue is that there's a lot of Japanese humor but the dub version Americanizes it a bit if you prefer to watch it that way. At the very least give it a try.
And I agree that Fullmetal Alchemist is a great series. There is actually a new show being done but I haven't looked into it as I pretty much stopped watching anime a few years ago. Haven't a clue if it lives up to the original in anyway.

Serial Experiments Lain is my favorite anime series. I should disclaimer that by noting that I am just really into the type of subject/issues that Lain deals with, so it's not about so much being a great anime (which it is) as to me it's a great SF/cyberpunk series, period. It's also very short, and some of the concepts are rather dated, an inevitability for a lot of techno-fiction. Also, the English-language voice acting is very bad :)

Another great one IMO is FLCL ('fooly cooly'), which is a comedy.

i like more comedy anime like

City Hunter
The Slayers
Full Metal Panic
Nadesco
Trouble Chocolate
Steel Angel Kurumi
Rune Soldier
Burn Up Excess

I just can't watch any anime anymore like i could in middle/high school, i was the anime guy anything Japanese I liked it no matter what from like Captain Harlock(which sucks bad to me now) to like Record of Lodess War, and all the stuff on Cartoon Network at the time which was Sailor Moon, and some others, but anyway after watching and collecting so many different types of anime i was getting kind of bored with it, and I found myself only really liking comedies and romantic comedies, I really don't know why. but that's all i really collect now, I still have tons of old anime vhs tape and dvd's and i tried to watch like Roujin Z, Wrath of the Ninja the other day and couldn't finish them. oh well, Oh yeah Labrinth of Flames is another very great anime, but of course anything with Eric Stuart doing a voice in it has got to be good, he's an amazing voice actor.

Both Neon Genesis Evangelion and The Big O end on a weird metaphysical left turn. Picture a Saturday Night Live take on a hoity toity French art film, animate it, and you'll have the endings of both series :) The titles of both final episodes should be "WTF?".

If you're into computer type anything you should watch Lain. That series absolutely blew my mind.

Anyway, NG:E are you talking about Episode 26, or did you watch End of Evangelion? EoE is supposed to "replace" episode's 25 and 26, and frankly, I found it much more interesting.

I'm not an anime fan by any stretch. In fact, my opinions on most of it would probably offend any anime fans in this thread. :p

That said, I really liked Cowboy Bebop. I have the whole series + movie. I also liked the two Vampire Hunter D movies. Though compared to the books, they're awfully tame.

Yeah the Vampire Hunter D movies are pretty classic. Well, the first one anyway. I've only seen the second one time and I can't remember if I liked it or not. Cowboy Bebop is also classic but I'm not a big fan. Some of the characters really get on my nerves to the point of ruining the fun for me.

Big O was really great, I'd love to own that series someday. Wolfs Rain, Excel Saga, Trinity Blood, GitS: S.A.C., Dead Leaves, Bleach, and Witch Hunter Robin are the only other animes that I've given much time to. Ironically, I'm not a GUNDAM fan, despite my favorite artist on the planet providing about 5 songs for the series as well as voicing one of the characters. Maybe I should try it at least. A friend recommended that I'd really like Rosen Maiden. It seems kinda girly, but has anyone seen it?

I just can't watch any anime anymore like i could in middle/high school, i was the anime guy anything Japanese I liked it no matter what from like Captain Harlock(which sucks bad to me now)

Well, yeah....of course, it's pretty dated now.

When I was in college one of the Atlanta TV stations used to show Captain Harlock/Queen Millenia and Robotech back to back, along with Thunder Sub. Man, we ate that up. By today's standards the cross-editing and the overall quality are lacking, but at the time, it's all that was available.

I've really liked the Fullmetal Alchemist eps that I've seen on [adult swim]. There's a large world of anime out there that I've been reluctant to get into TOO heavily (going back to the late 80s) because, well....it'd be another hugely expensive hobby that would suck me in...just as it did to several friends of mine waybackwhen. When you start collecting anime so heavily that you start learning Japanese, that gets a bit scary. :)

irony..... NP: Tokio Hotel :)

Anyway, NG:E are you talking about Episode 26, or did you watch End of Evangelion? EoE is supposed to "replace" episode's 25 and 26, and frankly, I found it much more interesting.

It was the infamous Episode 26. I haven't seen End of. I keep thinking about putting it in my queue, but it's been several months since I saw the series so I don't know how much relevant stuff I would have forgotten by now.

Ken

There's a large world of anime out there that I've been reluctant to get into TOO heavily (going back to the late 80s) because, well....it'd be another hugely expensive hobby that would suck me in...

I'm *trying* to stick with shows that seem to be the best of the best. Anime has recently been the bulk of my Netflix queue recently. I try to alternate between an anime DVD and a recent movie that I didn't see yet. The irritating thing about Netflix and anime is that in at least 2 cases, Netflix only had PART of series - for example, there were discs missing from the middle of both seasons of The Big O. One disc was missing from FMA.

Fortunately, one of my students pointed me to www.justdubs.com, where you can watch dubbed versions of many anime series.

Ken

I just saw Ultimate Hellsing for the first time and I am hooked. I was a huge anime fan in my early teen years and as I grew up I got disgusted with the typical anime cliches. In fact I had a conversation with a friend about anime cliches:

Friend: Here's my impression of Ruroni Kenshin: HEY LOOKIE HERE IM FUNNY AND CRAZY LOLOLOL.... *serious face* but I've also killed many people */serious face* ...

Me: Uuhh you can say that about tons of anime.

Friend: Like what?

Me: Here's my impression of Trigun: HEY LOOKIE HERE IM FUNNY AND CRAZY LOLOLOL.... *serious face* but I've also killed many people */serious face* ...

Two of us: Fuck.....

Seems like everything I've seen from Ultimate Hellsing squashes most of the typical cliches that plague anime. Really falling in love with this series.

Also, I like anime movies too, such as Ghost In the Shell, anything by Miyazaki, Ninja Scroll, Paprika, etc.

Mmm, yeah, movies. Akira comes to mind, kinda the granddaddy of 'em all nowadays.

And then there's Urotsukidoji. "You WILL believe that giant penises will attack a hospital." :lol:

Ultimate Hellsing

Say, I think my friend Jason Miller (from the band Godhead) helped do voiceovers on that one.

EDIT: nope, it was Hellsing I. And also some Code Geass and other things...

idk how I could have forgotten Akira. Even with the "etc" in my post, it's unforgivable. I watched that bad boy on blue ray a few months back... hooooooly shit.

Akira is a modern classic, but I'm one of those people who first saw the American dubbed version on VHS, which rendered the DVD version unwatchable (unlistenable). I turned it off less than 1/4 through to avoid throwing an object at the TV in irritation. For me it's either the subtitled version or the VHS.

No one has mentioned D.gray-man?!?! (manga > anime) Also no Yami no Matsuei? Another manga I adore: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. Fan-frickin-tastic.

A note on Death Note: The anime is crap. However, the manga is one of the best I have ever read.

I love anime but I tend to prefer the manga versions! The filler they put in the anime just drives me crazy...among other things. The filler in Naruto is just about enough to make me want to go on a homicidal rampage!

I'm usually not in the habit of resurrecting old threads, but I didn't want to start another one on a subject that was already rolling… albiet a year ago. LOL!

I actually have a thread in another forum that is pretty much along the same lines located here - but I think I'm the only one there that get's into this stuff there. So…. thought I'd take a chance with some of the other Progpower attendees after finding this thread.

Here are the anime series I've now watched in their entirety:

Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The Big O
Fullmetal Alchemist

Cowboy Bebop = EXCELLENT! I guess a movie is in the works for 2011 with Spilberg producing it and Keanu Reeves as Spike? wow…. Let's just hope it's not a Last Air Bender flop.

Neon Genesis Evangelion = Got it… haven't watched it yet.

The Big O = Pretty good series, got better as it moved along. Anyone else notice the strong similarities to Queen's "Flash Gordon" on the intro song?

Full Metal Alchemist = on my list to check out.

Death Note fizzles out - it went 10-15 episodes too long, and started repeating itself, to the point that I didn't really care anymore; but, the first 10-15 episodes are some of the best TV ever.

I've seen a few episodes on Adult Swim, and it seemed interesting… but I have yet to dive into this one. It certainly has a lot of hype around it.

But then along came the series I finished most recently, Fullmetal Alchemist. Wow! This series fires on all cylinders throughout its 51 episodes, and ends really well. The ending doesn't tie everything up, but it's a great conclusion (or at least rest stop) regardless. I recommend this series very highly. It has great colorful animation, a great soundtrack, it's full of the entire emotional spectrum from good humor to really sad moments or memories, and best of all, the voice acting is superb.

okay… I think you've sold me. I'll add this to my list.

So, now I'm on to Ghost in the Shell. I'm a few episodes into the first season of that, so I haven't drawn any conclusions yet.

So, How did you fare with Ghost in the Shell? Did you ever get around to watching the the 2nd Gig (season 2). GITS:2nd gig is easily one of my favorite anime's… ever. If you had a hard time with the first one, I recommend giving the 2nd one a shot, it's brilliant.

Full Metal Alchemist is among my favorites, along with InuYasha (which I find completely unwatchable now) and Chobits.

LOL… I actually call InuYasha "Inuyucky". I could not get into that one at all. I think the reason you can't watch it now (or even myself) is that it was geared for a 7-13 year old audience. watching it as an adult almost reduces your IQ level, and it literally is a step above Pokemon in both dialauge, plot and animation.

Yeah the Vampire Hunter D movies are pretty classic. Well, the first one anyway. I've only seen the second one time and I can't remember if I liked it or not.

Although I consider the original an anime classic, The 2nd Vampire Hunter D is seriously miles ahead of the first one in many, many ways… I think you need to revisit it again.

Big O was really great, I'd love to own that series someday. Wolfs Rain, Excel Saga, Trinity Blood, GitS: S.A.C., Dead Leaves, Bleach, and Witch Hunter Robin are the only other animes that I've given much time to.

Big win for GitS: S.A.C., With Hunter Robin, Big O and Wolf's Rain!!! W00t~
I've got Trinity Blood, but haven't watched it yet…

Ironically, I'm not a GUNDAM fan, despite my favorite artist on the planet providing about 5 songs for the series as well as voicing one of the characters.

I have one Gundam Series, Gundam Wing - but I really didn't care for it at all. It seemed like a mecha series that catered for pre-teens (like Voltron) and was developed to run like saturday morning cartoon. I have been told to ceck out the other Gundam series.

I just saw Ultimate Hellsing for the first time and I am hooked.

I've been wanting to check this out - the original series was pretty good, but I heard this one was much darker and playes out like a prime-time drama. If that's true, I'll need to seek this out.

Also, I like anime movies too, such as Ghost In the Shell, anything by Miyazaki, Ninja Scroll, Paprika, etc.

+1

It seems most everyone dives into a lot of TV series material, but seems to forget about the OVA's and Movies. What's everyone's opinons on these

So… anything new and exciteing over the last year?

I'm usually not in the habit of resurrecting old threads

Katagory V is not a death metal band, and should know nothing about resurrection and undead things.

Full Metal Alchemist = on my list to check out.

This is more complicated now, since there is second series called Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. At first glance, it seems like a second series, but it's the first series redone. What's stranger is that it's the same series redone by the same people - same animation, voice actors, etc.

Apparently the original series was being created at the same time as the Manga on which the show was based - the show outpaced the Manga, and so diverted from the "official" story.

This second version is more faithful to the Manga. The first 10-15 episodes are essentially the same as the original FMA, but after that, the series become different. The first half of FMA: Brotherhood has been on Adult Swim this year (they've showed the first 26 episodes so far, about half).

I rank either version of FMA as not only my favorite anime series, but one of my favorite TV shows ever, period.

So, How did you fare with Ghost in the Shell?

I liked it, with the second season better than the first!

Since my original post, I also watched Trigun - it was fun, but ultimately not that satisfying.

Ken