Death Note

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Any fans of the anime TV series Death Note here?

It's based on the graphic novel (Manga?) of the same name. There are 36 or so episodes, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through. The DVDs have 4 episodes each; the 6th volume just came out on DVD and the 7th is scheduled for an October release. I assume (hope) the series is complete in that the last episode that exists (#36) wraps things up.

After the first two or three of DVDs (10-12 episodes), I was convinced this wasn't just my favorite anime experience ever (series or movies), but one of the best series I'd ever watched at all, whether animated or not. The story was just great. Without *too* much detail, it's about two adversaries trying to track each other down: one is a killer, who needs to know the name and face of the person he wants to kill. The other is a secretive detective trying to catch the killer. So you have two people, each of which who does not know the name or face of the other, trying to discover and eliminate each other.

Having said that, there's an introduction of a new major character about a third of the way through the series that sets it back a bit. The silliness factor of the episodes goes up, and the tightness and intensity go down. And after that, there's a temporary swerve that brings in almost an entirely different storyline which brings the main story to a halt. Fortunately, that doesn't last very long, and after episode 24, called Revival, things seem to be back on track.

It's going to be a long wait until October when the next DVD is released. I hope the release schedule for the remaining 2 or 3 discs after that is pretty rapid!

An episode guide can be found at

http://epguides.com/DeathNote/

This show has even been on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, but I don't know how consistently they've been airing them or at what point in the episode cycle they're at.

Ken

I read the manga I didn't watch the anime. I do not care for L at all, and I found the ending to be disapointing.

Have you tried Code Geass? That is somewhat in the same vein as Deathnote in the sense it's about a guy with a tremendous power and his goals to use that to his own benefit like taking over the world , etc.

Code Geass is the anime that reminded me why I liked anime in the first place. The series ends in about 5 more episodes as it's still airing in Japan, hopefuly they don't do anything within those eps to make me retract that. You know how anime is, usually the end is pretty messed up and culminates in the death of everyone or destruction of the world or something insane either way.

It's a pretty good series. I started watching it in subtitled Japanese before Viz picked it up. I agree with what Entrerie said about the ending being disappointing. It was a bit anticlimactic and didn't really tie things up as well as it could have.

Code Geass is the anime that reminded me why I liked anime in the first place. The series ends in about 5 more episodes as it's still airing in Japan

I'll keep this one in mind once it's done and I know I can get all the episodes on DVD.

Now that I'm done with the available Death Note episodes, I've started Evangelion. I liked the first episode a lot, but the second and third seem to indicate that the pace of this series will be slooooow. I'm not sure if it will sustain my interest, but I'll give the next few episodes a shot to grab me.

Ken

It's a pretty good series. I started watching it in subtitled Japanese before Viz picked it up. I agree with what Entrerie said about the ending being disappointing. It was a bit anticlimactic and didn't really tie things up as well as it could have.

Two, count 'em, two cheers for the ending! :lol:

BTW, couldn't help but notice the Godhead tracks listed in your sig. Old-school stuff from the Power Tool Stigmata CD. Very cool, and getting quite rare! :headbang: (They're like family to me, going back to that very album.)

BTW, couldn't help but notice the Godhead tracks listed in your sig. Old-school stuff from the Power Tool Stigmata CD. Very cool, and getting quite rare! :headbang: (They're like family to me, going back to that very album.)

That's the album that was out when I got into Godhead, and that's sound I still kind of associate with them. I like the newer stuff, too, but I still have to give PTS a spin every now and then. :headbang:

Apparently there is a live-action movie called L: Change the World. I'm not too familiar with Death Note but I didn't know they made the movie. It was part of an Asian film festival here in Dallas last weekend. Unfortunately I missed it, but I heard good reviews of it.

Apparently there is a live-action movie called L: Change the World. I'm not too familiar with Death Note but I didn't know they made the movie. It was part of an Asian film festival here in Dallas last weekend. Unfortunately I missed it, but I heard good reviews of it.

I think that's the third of 3 live action films that tell the same story. There was a preview of one of them on one of the series DVDs I have, and it looked pretty awful. But who knows!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note#Live-action_films

Ken

If you want to get into Death Note, do NOT see the live action films. Perhaps this other one is decent but the original movie is an awful condensed version of a story that needs far longer to tell. There's no character development into what happens with Light. He basically goes from being a "good" guy to a bad guy in a matter of 5 minutes

If you want to get into Death Note, do NOT see the live action films. Perhaps this other one is decent but the original movie is an awful condensed version of a story that needs far longer to tell. There's no character development into what happens with Light. He basically goes from being a "good" guy to a bad guy in a matter of 5 minutes

I agree... I love to read the books and watch the DVD's, but I found the movies way to short. I think to do it a live action movie right, it would have to be a mini series or something like that! :loco:

Update: Disc 7 just came out on DVD and arrived from Netflix.

Wow, has this once awesome series really tanked in a very small number of episodes.

Disc 7 brings the series through episode 29 of 37.

After a slight slow down during eps 20-24 or so, things started to pick up. I waited patiently for the release of Disc 7. The first episode on Disc 7 has in it what should be a series-changing event. But rather than being a pivotal point towards bringing the story to a conclusion, it simply diverts the story into a retread. It's almost like what's happening on Heroes right now - same old story as the early part of the series, but with the characters a bit mixed up.

Maybe Death Note can regain some intensity in the final 8 episodes, but I don't know when the last two discs will be released, and I don't know how much I'll care any more when they finally come out. :cry:

Next up in my experiments with anime series: I'll start watching Cowboy Bebop.

Ken