Recent Anime Adventures (series)

Would also like to recommend to any music fans out there that they watch Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. The anime is about 26 episodes and is basically about a young guy learning how to play guitar and joining a band and performing. I'd recommend the english dub as I personally think the singers are a lot better. I finished this baby in about 2 weeks which is the fastest for any anime that I've watched. And Maho is just hot.

B:MCS is pretty good (Tho I understand the series has been renamed "Mongolian Chop Squad" because the musical artist Beck had a problem with the name.)

I thought the opening was a lot more interesting and then in the end I found myself bored to death cause they couldn't wrap it up yet.

I've been working my way through it, like a lot of other partially finished TV series, but I agree that it seems to be dragging a lot toward the end, and I'm not sure what the whole point is going to be.

Lately, I've been focused on my Netflix queue. I started up with Soul Eater, but now I've jumped over to Baccano!, which is filled with rather bizzare characters and even 7 episodes in I'm still trying to figure out what is going on.

Lately, I've been focused on my Netflix queue. I started up with Soul Eater, but now I've jumped over to Baccano!, which is filled with rather bizzare characters and even 7 episodes in I'm still trying to figure out what is going on.

Baccano is brilliant imo. Be sure to watch the last three episodes which may not be on netflix cause theres a character in there that is very Light/L/Near/like character (death note if not already seen) and he became one of my favorite characters even though he's only in 3.

You'll eventually start to see that the various characters will connect to each other and the plot related to those characters will connect to each other later in the series if that makes sense.

Bumping this up, I just finished off The Sacred Blacksmith. I got to say that the show is mostly a mess. (Early on, it seems to be a competition to see how many breast jokes you can squeeze into a show.) The last five episodes almost redeem the show, but it is hard to get up for an underdeveloped villain. This show was a wasted opportunity.

Yu Yu Hakusho seems to be turning out to be a better Bleach... similar original premise. I really need to upgrade to two dvds out at a time plan so that I can have a tv/anime show and a movie out. Saturday morning cartoons anyone?

^ That was one of my favorite series when I was younger. I bought one of the seasons on DVD a while back, but need to watch it to see how well it holds up. It had a great premise.

Speed Grapher is the only one I've seen all of, which is good but bizarre. I've seen a few episodes of Darker Than Black and it looks interesting. I know nothing about Gun x Sword.

I hope to have Noir finished by the end of the week. (Which a live-action TV series of this has been put into production by Starz. Don't know if it is a good thing or not.)

Yu Yu Hakusho seems to be turning out to be a better Bleach... similar original premise. I really need to upgrade to two dvds out at a time plan so that I can have a tv/anime show and a movie out. Saturday morning cartoons anyone?

After the Dark Tournament arc it gets kinda stupid though. However from the beginning up until that point it is really good.

I didn't know such a site existed. Maybe I should look at it.

Yeah it does its purpose - helps you list/keep track of your anime/manga. Decent/nice forum for commenting on episodes and other general things you'd expect in a forum. Recommendations/reviews, customizable... panel page (kinda like your home page for the site)

Edit:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ApolloFC This is what should be linked in my sig but I'm too lazy to change it atm and ftr I dunno why the colors like that.. I don't recall changing them to that (something you can do)

Yeah it does its purpose - helps you list/keep track of your anime/manga.

It is a cool site, and I'm impressed that you can keep up with so many series at the same time. I only do two at once: keep up with Fullmetal Alchemist on Adult Swim, and whichever series is in my Netflix queue at the time. Right now, that's Speed Grapher. I'm only 4 episodes in, but it's pretty interesting so far, and definitely the most "adult" anime I've seen yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Grapher

Ken

It is a cool site, and I'm impressed that you can keep up with so many series at the same time. I only do two at once: keep up with Fullmetal Alchemist on Adult Swim, and whichever series is in my Netflix queue at the time. Right now, that's Speed Grapher. I'm only 4 episodes in, but it's pretty interesting so far, and definitely the most "adult" anime I've seen yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Grapher

Ken

Well I'm not really. Some of these I've either dropped, deciding on whether or not to drop, or waiting on netflix discs etc. I'm really keeping up with One Piece at the moment and even then thats like once or twice a week. Ergo Proxy I'm still waiting just to be in the right frame of mind for it.

I'm waiting for Bakuman S02 to pick up again. It really turned around in the second half of the season which started out more shojo than it did in the manga.

And before I forget, this is a pretty decent one with some amazing directing. You may have to do some digging for it

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a cool site, and I'm impressed that you can keep up with so many series at the same time. I only do two at once: keep up with Fullmetal Alchemist on Adult Swim, and whichever series is in my Netflix queue at the time.

Well, for me it is 4 shows, since I'm watching all three shows on AS (Bleach, FMA: Brotherhood and Durarara!!) and my current show on Netflix is Soul Eater, tho I do take breaks from it at times to watch other things, since that's the type of show it is.

I did create an account and add some of the stuff I've been watching in the past couple years. It only cracks the surface of what I've seen total, since much of what I actually own isn't on the list yet.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/thelongshot

And before I forget, this is a pretty decent one with some amazing directing. You may have to do some digging for it

Not too much, since a simple search brought up some subbed episodes on YouTube. Looks like a cross between "El Cazador de la Bruja" and "Cowboy Bebop".

Have not watched a good recent anime in a while until a show called "Deadman Wonderland". Some kid gets framed for murdering his class and sent to a private run prison. There they have to engage in Running Man esque games of survival to get candy(poison surpressor delivered via candy), they basically have 3 days to live without eating candy because everyone in there is poisioned. Theres the typical powers and Naruto/Bleach bullshit of course.

Still waiting for that Redline bluray to come out stateside.

Highschool of the Dead was pretty good too.

Dare i say it, but boobs ruined it for me. 1st episode was like FUCK YES! Last few episodes were like: really? It was really fine without the excessive echhi.

I started the series by reading the manga up to chapter 25 or so, they kinda fast tracked the anime. I never finished the last few episodes since it was kinda filler and up to like chapter 10 or so in the manga. I liked it for the zombies and it's intersting and somewhat optimistic anime style take on the whole zombie survival genere. Sort of like a bizzaro walking dead, still it kept it serious where it needed to be, aside from all the bouncing over exagerated boobs.

Anime these days, it's all that moe garbage. Anime in general is notorious for some ecchi in most things, but I agree too much can be a major detractor. The whole state of anime in the last couple years has been utter garbage. Most of the crap they peddle these days makes one kind of ashamed to even ever have liked the art form if you can still call it that.

If you go back and watch anime from the late 80's-early 90's it's a much different animal and the ecchi was more or less flavor for the story like on True Blood or Game of Thrones, instead of vice-versa today.

*edit* yeah, you had stuff like Urotsukidoji and hentai back then too, but even that was more coherent and adult.

Anime these days, it's all that moe garbage. Anime in general is notorious for some ecchi in most things, but I agree too much can be a major detractor. The whole state of anime in the last couple years has been utter garbage. Most of the crap they peddle these days makes one kind of ashamed to even ever have liked the art form if you can still call it that.

Well, we probably see more garbage now because we get more anime than we did in the 90s, when companies had to be choosy in what they felt they could sell. Course, it was that glut that killed companies like ADV and Geneon. There was just too much and you couldn't keep up with all of it.

Even so, there are still shows with that kind of problem. As I said before, The Sacred Blacksmith suffered from that problem. I hear Rosario X Vampire also suffers a similar problem.

That being said, there is still good stuff out there if you are willing to work at it. Recent anime that I thought was very good is stuff like Baccano! and Eden Of The East.

On the subject of art:

01.jpg

From Biomega. And I bought the first volume purely cause of the art work.