Anime

kissing_anime_girls_graphic-33481.jpg

anime girls, yes

Old news, but awesome nonetheless. Miura needs to get off his ass and resume creating new chapter already.

Can anyone rec me anything similar to "Death Note" as far as anime? Death Note is the only anime I've watched that I could get into, and I loved it. It seems like one of the few animes that takes itself seriously (no kawaii kitty faces and large breasted girls with little to no depth to their character) and is not 100% realistic, but still believable (unlike something like Naruto where everyone and their mother is shooting fire from their fingers and jumping everywhere).

Manga works to. I've tried to get into this type of media but just can't find anything I like. I've been recommended "Cowboy Bebop" plenty of times, and am still waiting to give it a try. Any other suggestions though?

Can anyone rec me anything similar to "Death Note" as far as anime? Death Note is the only anime I've watched that I could get into, and I loved it. It seems like one of the few animes that takes itself seriously (no kawaii kitty faces and large breasted girls with little to no depth to their character) and is not 100% realistic, but still believable (unlike something like Naruto where everyone and their mother is shooting fire from their fingers and jumping everywhere).
You haven't seen alot of anime a gather. There are LOTS of anime that fits your description. How similar to Death Note are you talking? Code Geass is an anime most people compare it to but it has Mecha and stuff too. If you just want an anime fitting the general description you gave I can recommend lots.

For manga if you want to be blown away read Akira, Nausicaä or Battle Angel Alita. There is just nothing that compares to them in anime (not the animes based on those mangas either). They are so much more epic and well done and the art in manga is almost always better and more detailed than in anime.

Manga works to. I've tried to get into this type of media but just can't find anything I like. I've been recommended "Cowboy Bebop" plenty of times, and am still waiting to give it a try. Any other suggestions though?

What Vilden said - there is a lot of "serious" animé, so your request is rather vague. I would recommend Legend of Galactic Heroes, which as I said earlier in this thread is my favorite animé ever, with Death Note in second place. It's about a war between a democracy and a monarchy sometime in the future but the space setting is really just an interchangeable canvas for a story that could've taken place anywhere. It's a very intelligent epic that calls the superiority of democracy into question and is mostly devoid of designated goods and evils. The large cast contains some of the most memorable fictional characters ever.

You might also like Monster. It's a very mature and realistic animé that a lot of people love, though I don't really care for it that much. I appreciate the morality themes and whatnot, and the characters are interesting, but the plot is too minimalistic and the cast is too small for the series to stay interesting over the course of 74 episodes. I haven't read the manga but I suspect it might be better, as the animé adaption had pacing issues.

Code Geass is pretty fun and borrows a lot from Death Note, but be warned that it's rather silly.

I think everyone who has seen LOGH can agree that it is by far the most mature and intelligent anime out there. My Cat Owns should definitely go with that one, if he feels up for watching 110 episodes that is.

You might also like Monster. It's a very mature and realistic animé that a lot of people love, though I don't really care for it that much. I appreciate the morality themes and whatnot, and the characters are interesting, but the plot is too minimalistic and the cast is too small for the series to stay interesting over the course of 74 episodes. I haven't read the manga but I suspect it might be better, as the animé adaption had pacing issues.
I haven't read the whole Monster-manga but the anime follows the manga quite well but the manga works better for as you said, it flows better and the whole story works better in manga form imo. It is not his best though, I like 20th Century Boys more even though it also like monster drags on alittle too long with some twists in the story.

My friend's housemate is well into anime...comparitively I've seen very little but this guy showed me Bleach which I think is pretty good and Elfen Leid which I thought was some fucked up wierd good shit

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I've been trying a few animes out and flipping through a few mangas and all I see are little japanese girls in school uniforms (K-On comes to mind). Sorry if I was vague with my description of what I was looking for. What I liked about Death Note was how it was believably unrealistic yet there weren't ninjas jumping around fighting each other or (sans Misa Amani) a bunch of super kawaii desu young girls in skimpy dresses to keep the hopeless romantics watching.

Anyway, I'll take a look at the suggestions you guys gave me. Thanks again!

Recently finished Koi Kaze. If you read up on that series you might get the wrong impression. It's about an incestual relationship between a 27-year-old man and his 15-year-old sister, so your first thought might be that it's some freaky hentai story. There's nothing perverted about it at all though, and although the subject is 'twisted' by nature, the story actually turns out very touching and beautiful.

Naruto is getting epic now. Sad that it's almost over, but kind of awesome at the same time. My prediction for the ending is that Naruto is the reincarnation of the Sage of the Six Paths (when Naruto was battling the fox for control of its power, the fox said "This is the sage of the six paths!" referring to Naruto. Since the fox is part of the ten-tailed demon, I'd imagine it remembers what the sage looks like). I also think Naruto will get captured, the nine tails will be removed, and Akatsuki will attempt to put the ten tails back together. I don't think it will work, because Naruto only has half of the demon fox. As for who the guy in the mask who pretended to be Madara is, I have no idea who he is. My guesses are that it's Obito (because fake Madara went by "Tobi," which when switched around is "Obito"), Senju Hashirama, or Madara's younger brother. Obito sounds most plausible to me, because he lost one of his eyes, and Tobi would only show one of his eyes.

Bump. I just started reading Scott Pilgrim. It's fucking awesome. I highly recommend it. I even feel bad about pirating it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mortdivine

Been watching a fair amount of stuff lately, but started out this recent anime watching I've done with rewatching Clannad and Clannad: After Story which is my favorite series. It kind of had me stuck on only watching sad depressing shows thus the AnoHana and KGNE, but decided I couldn't stick with that shit or I'd go crazy...

Just finished Toradora! yesterday which was great, despite me feeling the ending was a bit rushed. Taiga's evolution through the show was pretty awesome.

and currently working through Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo) which might be one of the more interesting approaches to its style that I've seen

"Kyousuke Kousaka, a normal seventeen-year-old high school student, hasn't gotten along with his younger sister, Kirino, in years. For longer than he can remember, Kirino has ignored his comings and goings and looked at him with spurning eyes. It seemed as if the relationship between Kyousuke and his sister, now fourteen, would continue this way forever.

One day, however, Kyousuke finds a DVD case of a magical girl anime entitled Hoshikuzu Witch Merle (Stardust Witch Merle), which had fallen into the entranceway of his house. To Kyousuke's surprise, inside the case is a hidden adult video game titled Imouto to Koishiyo! (Love with Little Sister!). Kyousuke attempts to fish out the culprit who dropped the case by bringing up the topic of magical girl anime at the family dinner table. All that comes out is a strong negative reaction from his parents, especially his anti-otaku policeman father.

That night, Kirino bursts into Kyousuke's room and, in perhaps the first conversation she has initiated with him in years, says they "have things to talk about." Kirino brings Kyousuke to her room and shows him an extensive collection of moe anime and lolicon bishoujo games she has been collecting in secret."

I forgot we had an anime thread. I think I've heard of Toradora! but I've never seen it. I've only gotten into anime in the last couple years. Haven't really seen many of the big ones. So far though, every anime series I get through becomes one of my favorites haha, I like a bit of a variety though. I've seen (and absolutely love) Gantz, Elfen Lied, Wolf's Rain, Ouran High School Host Club, Fruit's Basket, School Rumble Season 1. As far as movies, I liked Princess Mononoke, Tekkonkinkrete, Summer Wars, Vampire Hunter D, and EarthSea. Other series I've seen portions of and enjoyed were Black Butler, Death Note, The Getbackers, and Azu Manga Daioh; that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. Are you into any of those Mort?

I forgot we had an anime thread. I think I've heard of Toradora! but I've never seen it. I've only gotten into anime in the last couple years. Haven't really seen many of the big ones. So far though, every anime series I get through becomes one of my favorites haha, I like a bit of a variety though. I've seen (and absolutely love) Gantz, Elfen Lied, Wolf's Rain, Ouran High School Host Club, Fruit's Basket, School Rumble Season 1. As far as movies, I liked Princess Mononoke, Tekkonkinkrete, Summer Wars, Vampire Hunter D, and EarthSea. Other series I've seen portions of and enjoyed were Black Butler, Death Note, The Getbackers, and Azu Manga Daioh; that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. Are you into any of those Mort?

Elfen Lied is okay, Wolf's Rain (from what I remember of it) was good, I dropped Fruits Basket near the end, but do intend to pick it up again once I clear out my backlog of stuff (which may be a while if I can't do it by March due to me being quite interested in some of the stuff starting in Spring 2013 - season 2 OreImo for example.)

Princess Mononoke is one of my all time favorite movies regardless of medium.

I should probably check more of those out tbh

I mean to give Ano Natsu de Matteru, Durarara!!, Honey & Clover, Little Busters, ef ~ a tale of memories, ef ~ a tale of melodies, kanon, and Nichijou my time first though.

Oooh I think the only one of those I've heard of is Honey and clover. I need to watch that, I've heard good things iirc. Definitely finish Fruit's Basket.

Really I think one of the things that gets me about all these is they are the sorts of things that you get really sad when they end, because you want to keep watching them.