bad... bad... BAD anime?

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
Ever watch an Animie movie, OVA or series that was so bad that you threw up a little in your mouth while watching it, made you so angry and frustrated that you wanted to dump gasoline on yourself and strike a match, or couldn't sleep for days due to being haunted with, "WTF did I just watch!? Why…why would someone make THAT and think it was GOOD!?"

The first one that always comes to mind is one called Garzey's Wing… it is actually the ONLY anime that I stop watching 1/4 of the way through. There was so much wrong with it - from the voice acting that didn't line up at all in both sub AND dub all the way up to the animation that was like a still-screen shot being moved by hand - it literally compelled me to projectile vomit. In fact, I know it's the worst out there, as I've tried to unload it on eBay for less than a $1 and NO ONE even looks at it! If anyone is curious to see why this is so bad, I'll GIVE this anime to you for FREE! It's like a monkey's paw, and I can't get rid of it. Thankfully I only paid $3 for this a few years ago, but even that was too much.

One other that I actually made it through… but only just barely mind you, was M.D. Geist. It wasn't a total loss, but I could never figure out what the actual point was to that one, it was so random, terrible voice acting and dialogue (actually there was very little dialogue!), no character development, no actual plot, more questions than answers, and played out like an overly violent, high tech sci-fi thriller, created by an art school student who did a short film submission for Sundance. Maybe there was a manga it was based off of and you had to read that first to know the character(s) and the plot? I don't know, but it was rather terrible in any case. o_O

Ironically, these were both released in the late 80's on VHS, and then DVD later on, and was put out by U.S. Manga Corp. I have several DVD's released through U.S. Manga, and I would be safe to say that more than half of their releases are pretty weak, if not flat out bad, but there are some that are actually really good too like They Were Eleven, or Venus Wars, but most of their good releases are in the minority.

...any others out there?

YES! ...almost forgot about that one. :puke:

That's probably for the best. I bought 2 volumes as a blind buy (It's anime and it's Final Fantasy! How could that fail!?) and turned it off midway through the second episode.

I'd rather sit through a marathon of the entire Wiggles catalog than watch that show again.

almost all anime is super derivative. If you've seen one series, you've seen 95% of all anime. That's not to say that they're all bad but it makes watching more than a couple series seem kinda unsavory. This is coming from someone who's seen about 20 or so complete series. It took me too long to figure it out :p About the only ones that I like anymore are Cowboy Bebop and Lain.

BAD anime imo is anything Shonen style, ex. 300+ episode monster of the week stuff.

There's good anime? Sorry, don't like the genre. Silly, generic, repetitive, shallow, imo. But then again, I'm old. ;)

almost all anime is super derivative. If you've seen one series, you've seen 95% of all anime. That's not to say that they're all bad but it makes watching more than a couple series seem kinda unsavory. This is coming from someone who's seen about 20 or so complete series. It took me too long to figure it out :p About the only ones that I like anymore are Cowboy Bebop and Lain.

To be honest, you can say that about any genre. Anywhere where you have a lot of something, a good percentage of that something is going to be crap. Course, that's been the downfall of the anime distributors in the US: they weren't very discriminating about what they licensed and when fans stopped buying every damn show that came out, it just killed the industry.

I tend to be rather picky about what I buy anymore, considering that I have a lot that is unwatched. I can say that I've avoided a lot of bad series. As for what I've seen that I thought was bad, "Odin: Photon Sailer Starlight" comes to mind. Just plain boring.

That's probably for the best. I bought 2 volumes as a blind buy (It's anime and it's Final Fantasy! How could that fail!?) and turned it off midway through the second episode.

D'oh!!! yeah, at least you only got that far, too bad you bought two volumes. I often wonder what the writers were thinking with that series.

BAD anime imo is anything Shonen style, ex. 300+ episode monster of the week stuff.

LOL…. I actually have to agree here.

Really? Literally? Like you actually really felt this anime trying, purposely, to plant a subliminal message in your head to projectile vomit?

…while watching the first 20 min. of Garzey's Wing? Abso-F'n-lutely!!! Fortunately I turned it off just before Linda Blair'ing all over my living room floor. Still got a little in my mouth though… bleh.

There's good anime? Sorry, don't like the genre. Silly, generic, repetitive, shallow, imo. But then again, I'm old.

awwww, Your never too old! well, at least I won’t hold it against you as an excuse. :saint:

all of it minus DBZ

uuuhhh…. :erk:

There's good anime? Sorry, don't like the genre. Silly, generic, repetitive, shallow, imo. But then again, I'm old. ;)

And yet you like power metal. Weird!

Totally not true for anime. Just have to pick the gems. There are plenty. But far more bad stuff. Same with... everything!

And yet you like power metal. Weird!

Totally not true for anime. Just have to pick the gems. There are plenty. But far more bad stuff. Same with... everything!

Yeah, just give naysayers a copy of Grave of the Fireflies. After they cry their eyes out they can try out some lighthearted Miyazaki film.

Yeah, just give naysayers a copy of Grave of the Fireflies. After they cry their eyes out they can try out some lighthearted Miyazaki film.

I agree. I'd be amazed if anyone could watch something like "Spirited Away" or even a comedy like "Tokyo Godfathers" and say that it wasn't as beautifully and tightly directed as anything that wins the top prizes at internationally renowned film festivals. Oh, excuse me, "Spirited Away" HAS won the top prize at a top international film festival (the Golden Bear Award at the Berlin International Film Festival, as a matter of fact).

So folks who think anime is all derivative crap, watch something *besides* the kids' anime they show on TV before saying something like that, please. No one accuses America of making only crap entertainment based on the kids' cartoons that play on Saturday mornings.

So folks who think anime is all derivative crap, watch something *besides* the kids' anime they show on TV before saying something like that, please. No one accuses America of making only crap entertainment based on the kids' cartoons that play on Saturday mornings.

I don't think anyone here that considers it all derivative crap is saying that solely based on what is shown on TV. You'd be surprised at how well informed and well aware the folks in this forum are. I can almost guarantee they have checked "real" anime before. I know for a fact I have. ;)

That being said, it's all a matter of perception and taste. Like I said before, I love the anime I love, but they're very few. The rest that I've watched (and I'm talking real stuff) for some reason can't grab my attention, and therefore I find it to be crappy. That being said, I am looking at your suggestions list on the other thread and will definitely check some of those out!! :)

I agree. I'd be amazed if anyone could watch something like "Spirited Away" or even a comedy like "Tokyo Godfathers" and say that it wasn't as beautifully and tightly directed as anything that wins the top prizes at internationally renowned film festivals. Oh, excuse me, "Spirited Away" HAS won the top prize at a top international film festival (the Golden Bear Award at the Berlin International Film Festival, as a matter of fact).

an anime film is a WHOLE different beast than a series. You've normally got considerably higher budgets and most likely more talent working on films than you get with a show.