Anyone else reading/watching Attack on Titan?

May 7, 2002
A couple of weeks ago I finished volume 11, and have watched 4 episodes (@ crunchyroll) out of the 25 currently available. AOT is an intensely dark, yet fun ride. Volume 12 comes out in a few days (in the states), and the dvd will be released in early June.

The anime is getting rave reviews, and from what I've seen, it holds fairly close to the manga - though the violence isn't nearly as graphic in the anime as it is in the manga. :(

AOT is one of the hottest selling mangas in Japan (over 30 million copies sold). Every vendor at Animate Miami was selling AOT merch, this past January. I expect to see a heavy AOT presence at both Miami's Supercon in July, as well as at the upcoming DragonCon.

I'm dying for volume 12!!! lol Come on Tuesday!!! :D

Saw the English dub premiere at the Anime Boston convention last month (along with an appearance from the English cast). The event was held in the building's biggest room and over a hundred people had to be turned away at the door. You'd have thought it was a Bon Jovi concert the way the audience was cheering and screaming at every turn. Obviously, that setting's a special occasion and the audience an extremely biased sample, there was an undeniable feeling of electricity in the venue that told me it's going to keep building. The dubbed version is going to be (deservedly) huge in the US. Just walking around the street on a normal day, I'm as likely to see someone in an AoT t-shirt as I am in a Game of Thrones shirt. After seeing those episodes, I'm on board (which is odd and telling since I myself have never been a big zombie fan or a giant-robot fan, and this is basically a cross of those tropes). I have the first three manga volumes so far.

No doubt AoT will probably be the hottest (and overhyped) show this year. The hardcore probably have seen it all already on Crunchyroll, but given it starts its run on Cartoon Network's Toonami next week, it is going even wider.

Personally, I've only seen the first episode on Crunchyroll showed for free to get familiar with it. Lately I've been watching Sword Art Online, which so far is very good.

The abridged episode was hilarious!!!

I've wanted to watch the series for some time, but needed to read the manga first. :) Now that I've caught up with manga, it's time for the series! :D

The Potato Girl episode was hilarious!

Thanks for the heads up about Toonami - setting the dvr in 3....2....1.... :)

I was going to start watching it last year, but then I found out that there would be a dubbed version this year, so I figured I would wait. Some purists will only watch subtitled anime with the original japanese dialogue. I'm not a purist, and when possible I prefer to listen to dialogue rather than read it.

I was going to start watching it last year, but then I found out that there would be a dubbed version this year, so I figured I would wait. Some purists will only watch subtitled anime with the original japanese dialogue. I'm not a purist, and when possible I prefer to listen to dialogue rather than read it.

I don't watch anime, but my personal preference when watching non-English language films is subtitling. I hate dubbed movies; they look and sound ridiculous because the dialogue never syncs up with the video.

I imagine anime would be a different story, since an animated character's mouth could be saying *anything*. The only anime I ever watched in its entirety was two seasons of Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato, when it was on American TV back in the 80s, and I didn't actually know until I was college-aged that it was Japanese anime; I just thought it was a "cartoon". :) I don't understand why there would be a preference in anime to hear the original dialogue if one isn't a native speaker of the language, since it doesn't seem like dubbing would ruin the experience any.

Personally I prefer the original voice actors because they're going to be truer to the inflections and emotions intended by the creators, as the creators rarely, if ever, have any control over the dubbing voice actors.

As evidence one can reference any anime that Cartoon Network aired in the mid 90s through the early 2000s. Such butchery (chiefly by Funimation, for no good reason).

Personally I prefer the original voice actors because they're going to be truer to the inflections and emotions intended by the creators, as the creators rarely, if ever, have any control over the dubbing voice actors.

As evidence one can reference any anime that Cartoon Network aired in the mid 90s through the early 2000s. Such butchery (chiefly by Funimation, for no good reason).

I remember watching some of the Kesnhin dubs, and was disappointed. Granted the series didn't live up to the prequels, but still.... :erk:

The Kenshin OVAs are really good. I watched them dubbed before I could get them subbed and they didn't make me cringe.

I'm not an expert on them, but over the years I've seen both well done dubbing as well as crap, so I'm open. I've seen the first two episodes of the series, but haven't managed to get back to it for some time. With the version coming soon, I'll check it out, and then go with whatever is easiest to deal with.

The advantage dubbed as for me in general, is that I don't have to be paying a lot of attention to the TV. I usually have something on, but I'm rarely watching TV if that makes a lot of sense. It's incredibly rare for me to sit and just watch a TV show or movie.