bad... bad... BAD anime?

I agree. I'd be amazed if anyone could watch something like "Spirited Away" or even a comedy like "Tokyo Godfathers" and say that it wasn't as beautifully and tightly directed as anything that wins the top prizes at internationally renowned film festivals. Oh, excuse me, "Spirited Away" HAS won the top prize at a top international film festival (the Golden Bear Award at the Berlin International Film Festival, as a matter of fact).

I think most people don’t know they are watching an anime unless it fits their definition of stereotype… they only know (or think to know) it is anime if it’s “bad”. :p

So folks who think anime is all derivative crap, watch something *besides* the kids' anime they show on TV before saying something like that, please. No one accuses America of making only crap entertainment based on the kids' cartoons that play on Saturday mornings.

This is true, especially for Americans. The sad stereo type is that when you say anime, joe-somebody would relate that to only Yu-Gi-Oh! Or Pokemon… the absolute WORST example imaginable because that’s what gets heavy exposure, especially if they have kids! …or on the flip side, most who claim to be anime fans quickly throw out Nurato, DBZ and Inuyasha as their favorites, again, very poor examples of what quality anime is, or just anime in general.

an anime film is a WHOLE different beast than a series. You've normally got considerably higher budgets and most likely more talent working on films than you get with a show.

Agreed. I think some of us here are confusing terrible anime series with terrible movies and or OVA’s. A series doesn’t get near the budget a movie does, thus why watching a bad movie (like the MOVIES I listed at the beginning of the thread) is almost worse than enduring a bad series, there is no budget excuse. Case and point: Garzey’s Wing boasts about the talents of Yoshiyuki Tomino (creator of Gundam) and Kenchie Onuki (Wrath of the Ninia) being involved, and yet this movie SUCKED!!! :yuk:

I have almost 75+ anime movies or OVA’s… most people I know might have seen 5 or maybe 10 ever, and the rest are usually series related praise, or complaints.

I'm a huge fan of the Robotech series.

You sir, are my new best friend! :kickass:

Not sure if anyone ever watched Space Battleship Yamato, but there is a live action movie coming out in Japan in December. I saw a trailer for it while watching a movie there in July. Looked kind of cool - the space scenes especially looked really nice. I wonder if they will dub it and put it on DVD for us USers.

I'm a huge fan of the Robotech series.

* quickly hides the Zentraedi officer's battle-pod, the Alpha fighter and the two SDF-1s that currently 'guard' the top of the fridge, then hides the complete-series DVDs in the living room *

Robotech? Never heard of it...... :lol:

My college buddies and I used to race back to the dorm to catch Robotech and Captain Harlock every afternoon at 3pm. I still have all the old Comico comic books upstairs. Yes, it was a cheesy Americanization, and I had friends back then who were 'elite' anime collectors who sneered at anything that was dubbed...but Robotech was like a gateway drug. :heh:

Yeah, just give naysayers a copy of Grave of the Fireflies. After they cry their eyes out they can try out some lighthearted Miyazaki film.

So True. Grave is one of the most emotional movies I think I've ever seen. I htink if it was to be made live action the degree of filth and vulgar horror that would need to be displayed to represent the story in the true light that the anime does would blow peoples minds beyond all comprehension.

So True. Grave is one of the most emotional movies I think I've ever seen. I htink if it was to be made live action the degree of filth and vulgar horror that would need to be displayed to represent the story in the true light that the anime does would blow peoples minds beyond all comprehension.

Right. That was a story 'best' told through that medium. A lot of anime just likes to make anime, and has no real thought but throwing in what the purchasing fans like to see.

I love high art animation films. It just so happens that I enjoy the artist style of high art anime (or its similar forms).

I won't get into an argument over whether Akira is anime or not (it is and isn't), but that movie changed my life.

* quickly hides the Zentraedi officer's battle-pod, the Alpha fighter and the two SDF-1s that currently 'guard' the top of the fridge, then hides the complete-series DVDs in the living room *

Robotech? Never heard of it...... :lol:

My college buddies and I used to race back to the dorm to catch Robotech and Captain Harlock every afternoon at 3pm. I still have all the old Comico comic books upstairs. Yes, it was a cheesy Americanization, and I had friends back then who were 'elite' anime collectors who sneered at anything that was dubbed...but Robotech was like a gateway drug. :heh:

I was pretty well addicted to it when they were showing it on Toonami back in the day. Back when they had the cheesy 3d Moltar model doing the bumps.

Generally speaking i don't like "anime" in general, but I try to judge something based on it's content rather than it's categorization (though sometimes I do judge the book by it's cover. Guilty as charged.). THere is good Anime and bad Anime, no different than there are bad and good western cartoons, bad and good movies... It's just a medium like any other.

I hope they go through with the live action movie that has been in the works for a while.

Although I am a bit leary on this, I certainly hope so to. I just pray that it isn't a super blunder like The Last Airbender if it does happen. Being that Toby McGuire is a huge fan of Robotech and bought the rights out to make the film, I'm hopefull he and his revolving door of writters can handle it. From what I remember, they were going to try and cram the entire Macross saga into a 2 1/2 to 3 hour movie… and in my opinon, even with it being that long of a movie, probably won't work without sacrificing a good portion of the plot and character development.

Last I checked, it's still hasen't even made it off the ground with a solid script yet, and it's highly possible it might not ever happen at this point since Toby and warner brothers bought it up in 2007 and it has been bouncing around between different writters all this time with no resolve or update on progress.

Live action... like this? ;)

!BmOF+N!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKi!EjlLmI81IBLe2rfyB(!~~_35.JPG