Recommend me some “family friendly” anime

I've actually been thinking more in terms of series instead of movies, for the purpose of Dustin entertaining his family long-term.

I'll never forget the year when a friend of mine dressed in a pretty darn good No-Face (from Spirited Away) costume at Dragon*Con. The film was immensely popular at that time: he literally couldn't walk 20 feet before someone asked him -- yet again -- if they could take a photo. He gave up and 'retired' the costume a day early and used something different thereafter. :)

Dude, at SDCC (San Diego Comic Con) this year I saw a dude dressed up as General Grievous from the Star Wars Prequels and he literally looked like the real deal. Some people put way too much time into their costumes hahaha, but props to them I guess if they can get it looking that badass.

Hell, I've been trying to find, Urotsukidojii? just for myself to watch out of pure morbid curiosity of how terrible and violent I heard it is, but I'll be damned If I'm paying the inflated price on Amazon or eBay.

I rented it years ago back when I was in college. I'm still trying to scrub my brain years later...

Believe it or not, my wife even recommended getting Star Blazers (a.k.a. SBY) series, since she remembered loving it when she was growing up… but sadly, it is certainly out of the price range. We already wore out Robotech (which is what I grew up with) so I'm thinking of tackling Gatchman…

Yeah, Voyager's extravagant price keeps me from buying it. Even the movies are expensive.

Yeah, I think Gatchaman is a good choice. I actually should pick up some of those for my son, who is big into superheroes. Problem is, it was released by ADV and might not be available.

I agree with the Captain Harlock series though, I wish that was still in print…I'm actually a HUGe fan of that series! I’ve found older episodes/OVA’s that are edited to death on DVD and combined with other cartoons from the era called Captain Harlock and Friends – (now if that doesn’t sound like it’s aimed at kids, I don’t know what is), but nothing officially released domesticly out side of the Harlock Saga OVA and the recent Space Pirate Captain Herlock (ummm… Wtf!?) series.

Apparently, both Harlock and Herlock are correct spellings. I've seen both over the years.

There is also Gun Frontier, which is Harlock and Toshiro in a wild west setting, but from what I read from the reviews, it isn't kid friendly. (Apparently a lot of nudity.) There are many spinoffs. (For example, Cosmo Warrior Zero may be an option.)

I forgot to mention that we watched Dia-Guard last year... that was actually not too bad. I wouldn't care to watch it on my own, but my daughter loved it! ...I HATE the opening song though, LOL!

Dai-Guard is a lot of fun. Much more fun if you are familiar with the giant robot tropes.

Anything else along those lines?

Going along the "Magical Girl" stuff, Card Captor Sakura could be right up your alley. I haven't seen much of it (I actually have the first DVD, tho I haven't watch it yet.), but it seems appropriate. Pretty Sammy is more of a parody of Magical Girl shows, using some of the characters from Tenchi Muyo. There is also a newer series along those lines: Sasami: Magical Girls Club. That has gotten a lot of play on Funimation Network lately.

I'll never forget the year when a friend of mine dressed in a pretty darn good No-Face (from Spirited Away) costume at Dragon*Con. The film was immensely popular at that time: he literally couldn't walk 20 feet before someone asked him -- yet again -- if they could take a photo. He gave up and 'retired' the costume a day early and used something different thereafter. :)

Your friend should never attend an anime con. (Especially Otakon)

Escaflowne might be a good choice. I think that one even had a Saturday morning run here in the US.

Erm… in hind sight, your are right, that would be a good one – but I had it sold it off last year. It didn’t do much for me, but looking back, it would have been excellent for my daughter.

Oh and the fact that nobody mentioned Miyazki films (the fam Friendly ones obviously, like Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, etc) means you all lost at this pretty bad.

Actually, we’ve got all of those films – Miyazaki is required viewing in our house, for a while Saturday nights were Miyazaki night and for two months straight we would watch one of his films every weekend. However, as the thread states (and as Ben and Pellaz mentioned) I’m looking for complete series for long-term viewing enjoyment. We let our daughter watch and hour of TV on a school night, usually it’s something on Nick Kids like Backyardigans or Wonder pets, but then we’ll watch a half-hour episode of an anime series together.

I'll never forget the year when a friend of mine dressed in a pretty darn good No-Face (from Spirited Away) costume at Dragon*Con. The film was immensely popular at that time: he literally couldn't walk 20 feet before someone asked him -- yet again -- if they could take a photo. He gave up and 'retired' the costume a day early and used something different thereafter.

I think there is a photo online of him! I was browsing for a picture of No Face and ran across a picture of someone in costume that was a dead ringer.

The first time we watched Spirited Away, My daughter was scared to death of No Face when he would start eating everything. If we watched it again, She would hide behind the couch or run into another room and tell me, “Daddy, I don’t like it when No Face get’s fat and eats people!”. LOL! In fact, she still refers to the movie as “No Face”.

I need a kawaii bento box (has to be pinku lol tee hee) to put all my rice in to eat with my ramen when I watch naruto-kun on all of his ninja adventures desu ne!!!!!

Sorry OP. Had to do it. I still love you. And in all seriousness, I will def check out some of the animes on your list because they do sound interesting!

Also speaking of Miyazaki, have you guys seen the older ones or are you more partial to the newer ones? I still have to see Porco Rosso and would like to know if it's worth it.

Also speaking of Miyazaki, have you guys seen the older ones or are you more partial to the newer ones? I still have to see Porco Rosso and would like to know if it's worth it.

Personally, it is my favorite of his films. He has also talked about making a sequel to it recently.

I'm also a fan of his Lupin III film, The Castle Of Cagliostro. Whisper Of The Heart, which was written by Miyazaki is also a favorite of mine.

Your friend should never attend an anime con. (Especially Otakon)

Too late. :lol:
He also runs a con near Columbus, GA.

Dude, at SDCC (San Diego Comic Con) this year I saw a dude dressed up as General Grievous from the Star Wars Prequels and he literally looked like the real deal. Some people put way too much time into their costumes hahaha, but props to them I guess if they can get it looking that badass.

I've seen costumes at Dragon*Con that literally made my skin crawl...including a pair of orcs that looked astonishingly lifelike. (Turned out they were makeup professionals, but still....) Browsing through people's photo galleries after the con is always fun. "DAMN, I didn't see THAT one! Holy crap, that Grand Galactic Inquisitor really IS 12 feet tall!" :)

I'm a director at D*C, and somehow.....we're not sure how or precisely when it happened....Dragon*Con has become THE costume event on the East Coast. Not that you won't find ME not complaining! :)

I think there is a photo online of him!
There's probably over a hundred if everyone who took a pic posted them. :)

I was browsing for a picture of No Face and ran across a picture of someone in costume that was a dead ringer.

No, the dead ringer would be a Nazgul costume. Damned n000bs.... :)

The first time we watched Spirited Away, My daughter was scared to death of No Face when he would start eating everything. If we watched it again, She would hide behind the couch or run into another room and tell me, “Daddy, I don’t like it when No Face get’s fat and eats people!”. LOL! In fact, she still refers to the movie as “No Face”.

As I recall, that was the FIRST character in any Disney feature to actually kill someone. Or so I was told.

from the ones that i have, the only ones that don't really curse,are Galaxy Angel,Rune Soldier which is really really funny,and the same with the next 2 Trouble Chocolate,and Martian Successor Nadesico. They are all comedy anime, and sometimes serious, might be a little bit interesting for a child.