The Bruelands... Sad News

St Enigma

Sep 11, 2005
[Edit from Tramz: I moved this over to it's own thread, as it most certainly deserves it]

Since we talked about the Bruelands here, I'll post this news also in this thread.

I just heard sad news regarding the Bruelands :cry:

A fellow member of Ultimatemetal.com went to see Nightwish & John Two-Hawks on Sunday in Dallas. She reported that during the show the band told about their friendhip with the Brueland family and then broke the sad news that Marc's father had passed away previously on the same day.

After that Nightwish performed and dedicated "Higher Than Hope" for him.

some sad news

.. thought you all would want to know this... Last night in Dallas, Nightwish recalled memories of the man named Mark Brueland who's last request in life was to see Nightwish perform live... His wish was granted, thanks to Glenn & crew, at ProgPower. Sadly he passed away a few months later, due to a terminal illness.

Well, yesterday Marc's father passed away as well. Nightwish said a few touching words about being close to this family, and then performed "Walk in the Clouds"* in dedication to Marc's father. The band was visibly upset during this song, but that passion translated into one of the most spectacular performances of the night.

* I think this was the song they performed. I'm not familiar with this song but I remember it being Mark's favorite, so I took the liberty of assumption in this case.
I think she means Higher Than Hope. The post in full can be found here.

Since we talked about the Bruelands here, I'll post this news also in this thread.

I just heard sad news regarding the Bruelands :cry:

A fellow member of Ultimatemetal.com went to see Nightwish & John Two-Hawks on Sunday in Dallas. She reported that during the show the band told about their friendhip with the Brueland family and then broke the sad news that Marc's father had passed away previously on the same day.

After that Nightwish performed and dedicated "Higher Than Hope" for him.

I think she means Higher Than Hope. The post in full can be found here.

Sad news indeed. Unfortunately that is the real tragedy of life. Long or short, it can end no other way. As cliche as it may be, if anything can be said to truly matter in this life, the only important thing is how we've spent the time that we've had. We're we happy? Did we make the best of the hand we were dealt? Perhaps we can be best judged by those we leave behind and how missed we are, not only at first, but as time continues forward. In this, Marc, his father Eric, and his family have proven themselves to have lived well.

Their memories will endure.

When the new website is completed, and Marc's tribute page takes it's rightful and everlasting place there, his father will take his place along side him.

Now that this was mentioned, I do not remember seeing Marc's father at the L.A. show. I do remember briefly meeting him in Anaheim 3 years ago, but we did not talk nearly as much as I did to the Brueland women. He seemed like a very nice man.

My condolences to the Bruelands, I cannot find the words at this time to say what is in my heart, but hopefully they will understand.

I can confirm they played Higher than Hope following this announcement.

The Dallas show was quite awesome.

It was. As the quoted poster mentioned, they were all pretty much mourning throughout the whole song.

Well, yesterday Marc's father passed away as well. Nightwish said a few touching words about being close to this family, and then performed "Walk in the Clouds"* in dedication to Marc's father. The band was visibly upset during this song, but that passion translated into one of the most spectacular performances of the night. * I think this was the song they performed. I'm not familiar with this song but I remember it being Mark's favorite, so I took the liberty of assumption in this case.

Sounds like "Walking in the Air" which I had read was his fave... perhaps they performed both?

RIP.

I don't think so, seeing as how the last time they did that song was when Marc was actually still alive, and also, that song has come to have such a Tarja stamp on it that I really don't see the band performing it anymore.

It certainly is a possibility, but I have seen countless posts on Nightwish forum about the shows, and not once have I seen "Walking in the Air" listed on any of the setlists.