the capability of my PC is stopping me from learning and experimenting more

If that's what you're after, I put together a dual-core, 64-bit box with 2 gigs of ram and a fancy-assed ATI x1900 for a bit under $600 over the summer, and that was before quad-core exploded as much as it has... build one yourself or find someone who knows what they're doing to take care of that, don't fucking bother with retail computers or companies like Dell because they just rip you the fuck off on things you don't need or want while overcharging for the components you want.

Jeff

If that's what you're after, I put together a dual-core, 64-bit box with 2 gigs of ram and a fancy-assed ATI x1900 for a bit under $600 over the summer, and that was before quad-core exploded as much as it has... build one yourself or find someone who knows what they're doing to take care of that, don't fucking bother with retail computers or companies like Dell because they just rip you the fuck off on things you don't need or want while overcharging for the components you want.

Jeff

I did the same thing last summer. Dual-core 3.0ghz with 4 gigs, 500gb 2nd SATA drive, ATI x1900 Pro, nice MoBo, nice PSU ,plus stuff I already had like a 250gb drive and case for around $700 I think. I pry coulda saved a $100 or more if I had realized the quad-core was right around the bend.

I had had enough with my P4 3.0 that I've had for 5 years.

Anyway, more RAM = PLUS!

Crashing does sound like a possible heating issue. I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but it's always a good idea to open up the case and use some canned air to clean it out. I helped some people out who were having computer problems. Opened up their case and pulled several handfulls of lint and dust out of the case and blew who knows how much dust out of the heat sinks.

Vista will be the reason I switch to Linux or worse... Apple.:puke: :p

wow.. thats all alot of info for me lol cheers for all the advice etc!
u guys are awsome.. i think i may just buy a new fekin computer!

nowadays they seem to be getting well cheap..

might just get one of those cheap ones from pcworld like £599 with 2gig ram bla bla bla

cheers!

wow.. thats all alot of info for me lol cheers for all the advice etc!
u guys are awsome.. i think i may just buy a new fekin computer!

nowadays they seem to be getting well cheap..

might just get one of those cheap ones from pcworld like £599 with 2gig ram bla bla bla

cheers!

NO NO NO NO NO! Don't buy anything from PC World unless it's like Blank DVD's or Ink Cartridges or the such. I work in one of the Admin Departments for The Tech Guys, which is part of PC World. And everyone I know that works here is the same as me, don't touch PC World with a fucking 1000ft bargepole. Just do it yourself, or hit up Kev or someone else who knows their shit, and save yourself a bundle, and a lot of hassle.

Shoot me a PM if you want to get into a new computer, I'll gladly help you arrange better parts and lower prices if it means someone else not buying from a fucking retailer...

Jeff