the cover art of Damage Done

emjayhaych

Itching to join the fray
Jul 8, 2002
North-west UK
Visit site
It's been bugging me, I can't make much out of the image on the cover, as far as I can see it's an image of a person with their hands clasped behind their head, the head looking down between the forearms, and what looks like a bullet exit wound coming out the top of the head...
And is the body coming up through the surface?
The dark part below the AN of TRANQUILLITY...I can't make out whether it's part of the body or what......
Can anyone....or maybe everybody...lol....enlighten me more?!

By the way, I've got the digipack, and it's the sweetest, most quality album I've seen in ages....reeks of quality!

Fuck, I don't get it at all. Maybe that's because some stupid persons had to write their names all over my cover ;)

But I have heard that the person that I can't see is Stanne... Not sure about that though.

Yep, I can see the dark part under the AN and I think it's his knee and lower part of the leg. See his other knee is down to the ground and the other is up, so he has his elbow(s) to the right knee and hands to his head. This is how I see it anyway.

I get it now, after looking at the poster. The upper part is confusing, many overlaying images of hands and heads I think.

My CD-cover is to dark to make out any details but on the poster there is almost to much stuff to make it out.

I thougt it was some ripped off limb or body part seen from above firts, but I hadn't thought about it much.

The red lines thing under the d on the front, and visible at many other places, looks like a table with some stuff on it. But whatever, pretty irrelevant :)

Wow, didn't know that the cover was so deep. I have just watched it and thought what a nice concept. Have to check it again. I must add that the cover of DD is one of the best I have ever seen. Pure eyecandy :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

well its stanne ,easy to find it out... a little bit distorted and malformed but its him.
but another thing...

hey guys as you know on the haven cover there are these strange symbol with these 7 points: :.:: and it was a little enigma made by niklas,but he never told us what it means(my theory is thats braille writing,the letters for blind and these points are an anagram for haven,but anyway)
and on the damage done artwork theres something like that too:
look on the cover the thing on the left with the round bubbles it and the lines,you know hat I mean ist also in the inlay of the digipack
so tell me what is it????
I want your ideas and suggestions(as I know what it is)
what do you think is that thing??

I've noted that too. And the dots are used on the new homepage, next to the "newsflash".

Maybe they have some special meaning for Niklas, or something related to DT. But I guess it's clear now that they are not only Haven-related, or?

Originally posted by solefald
well its stanne ,easy to find it out... a little bit distorted and malformed but its him.
but another thing...

hey guys as you know on the haven cover there are these strange symbol with these 7 points: :.:: and it was a little enigma made by niklas,but he never told us what it means(my theory is thats braille writing,the letters for blind and these points are an anagram for haven,but anyway)
and on the damage done artwork theres something like that too:
look on the cover the thing on the left with the round bubbles it and the lines,you know hat I mean ist also in the inlay of the digipack
so tell me what is it????
I want your ideas and suggestions(as I know what it is)
what do you think is that thing??

I have tried to ask some of them the meaning of it but they simply refuse to tell me so far :)
Bastards ;)

Well Haven was the first DT album I bought, so up until that arrangement of dots wasn't included on the Damage Done album, I thought the dots were braille for 'DT'.....

And as for what I call 'the strange radiator type thing' in the Damage Done artwork, as far as I can make out it's an image that has been roughly mirrored, vertically and horizontally....and if I look at one of the four segments of the image, the 'bubble' thing seems to be some sort of bottle....like a scientific flask, with something pouring out of it...
As for what's inside the bottle, like a rectangle and a blob.....I dunno.....

And what's even weirder is the image (on the digipack) behind where the lyrics booklet is slotted......If you turn it on its side (so the booklet slot is on your right) it looks crazily like some kind of lion illustration...the eyes are half-closed...the mouth is open....
what?!

AND, the bit on the cover underneath the 'AN' of tranquillity cannot be a limb......leg or otherwise.....if that's a leg then that bloke is seriously deformed!!!
From what I see it looks like he is breaking through a surface, and the bit below the AN is just a shattered hole...
And if you look beneath the 'do' of damage done, just where the darkness ends there's like rip marks, almost resembling the effect when concrete gets pushed up by weeds etc. (sorry that's a lame description but you'll see what I mean)

Originally posted by emjayhaych
AND, the bit on the cover underneath the 'AN' of tranquillity cannot be a limb......leg or otherwise.....if that's a leg then that bloke is seriously deformed!!!
From what I see it looks like he is breaking through a surface, and the bit below the AN is just a shattered hole...

I can't see the surface thing. My mind is set to this now:

stanne_dd.jpg

Uhm, fuck. I forgot to write "knee" by the arrow between his legs (or whatever it is) :)

Originally posted by emjayhaych
Well Haven was the first DT album I bought, so up until that arrangement of dots wasn't included on the Damage Done album, I thought the dots were braille for 'DT'.....

And as for what I call 'the strange radiator type thing' in the Damage Done artwork, as far as I can make out it's an image that has been roughly mirrored, vertically and horizontally....and if I look at one of the four segments of the image, the 'bubble' thing seems to be some sort of bottle....like a scientific flask, with something pouring out of it...
As for what's inside the bottle, like a rectangle and a blob.....I dunno.....

And what's even weirder is the image (on the digipack) behind where the lyrics booklet is slotted......If you turn it on its side (so the booklet slot is on your right) it looks crazily like some kind of lion illustration...the eyes are half-closed...the mouth is open....
what?!

And if you look beneath the 'do' of damage done, just where the darkness ends there's like rip marks, almost resembling the effect when concrete gets pushed up by weeds etc. (sorry that's a lame description but you'll see what I mean)

hey your right !!100points!!!this "radiator thing"(cool expression!)
its a chair or something like that ,splitted and mirrored with a bottle on it.
these bottle is with a present-ribbon around its neck,the blob is just a sticker with the name of the wine(these bottles are used for wine and nothing else)
the cross on the top of the neck is just a reflection of the aluminium around the plug
but what you say about this lion ,your right too,it looks like a lion with his open mouth,eyes ,teeth and so on
the first time I saw it I thought its a kind of insecthead,ant or something similiar(it must be some splitted and mirrored flowers like the radiatorthing)

another strange detail on the artwork:
look into the digipack,on the middlesite.left to the cd
there is this strange radiatorthing with the winebottles on it and on the left and on the right are these flowerlions.
look through the radiator rods:theres something behind them
what is it?its just nothing or something hidden ?

Part 1: about the body :)

Nice diagram zodi
I just want to say I'm convinced that the hands are clasped behind his head - your diagram showed them at his temples/cheeks....It might have just been a rough diagram anyway...
I'm convinced as far as the legs are shown, I never saw that the leg below could be positioned like that (foreshortened, from the knee down to the foot pointing roughly forwards)
Thanks for illuminating me on that one ;)

BUT....can I just ask this....surely if indeed he was crouching down exactly as you (zori) demonstrate, wouldn't there be a shadow underneath his body?

Part 2: about radiators and lions and other vague stuff:

The 'radiatorthing', I don't think it's a chair, even though it does give that impression on the cover.
- If you look at the same image on the middle of the digipack, the one inbetween the booklet page and the CD page, you'll see it's shot at a different angle so you can see the top of it; it's deeper than a chair would be...
And also on that image it looks very much like something wooden, with a fine criss-cross mesh inbetween the bars....could it be a cabinet? Or, rather, the top corner segment of a cabinet which has been mirrored.

Solefald - I see what you mean about the image 'hidden' behind the 'cabinet' - strange, because it isn't merely 'behind' the image but seems to be imprinted on the 'wood' as well. No idea.

NOW...I've just seen something - on the middle page - the 'lionflower' illustration, look at it so that the CD part of the pack is nearest to you. To the right of the lionflower is text - go from the 'e' of 'damage' across to the illustration, and you can see two small images of hearts, mirrored.....they look like they're on pieces of paper....

WOAH...shit...I've just realised what Mr. Lionflower is!
Check out the instance of it on the page where the booklet goes...look at it the same way up as the album, so the booklet slot is horizontal nearest to you......

The image is mirrored vertically....so cover up the bottom half of the image.....

Now you can see the left-hand part of the image is a vase of flowers, lilies, etc. The vase is translucent.
The right-hand part of the image is a wider, shorter vase, holding more lilies + that small heart logo thing...

Am I right?!! Solved :)

Can anyone go one step further and explain more?!

Just a thought: in the bottle thing, in the tag, there's this image that reminds me of an eye, and even the image on the bottle could be part of a face...

btw, thanks zodi for the enlightening image, i hadn't understood it till now :)

and in the lion thing, if you look at it in the page of the digi behind the booklet, holding it vertically with the cd part of the digi down, the upper part reminds me of the head of an armoured warrior or smt.. :p

and the "chair" thing: could it be sort of a barred window? in middle part of digi, right under the bottles, there's this lock resembling thing..

sorry for the rambling :p

That sketch thing I made was very rough, the hands and the "crippled leg" are hard to make out so didn't even try to get them right.

Maybe Niklas could kindly provide us with all the original pictures used on the cover? ;)

EDIT: Oops, no "c" in "Niklas"... :)