The Damned Things

Descendent

Aug 22, 2004
Elm Grove, WI
Today, The Damned Things posted two songs on their MySpace:

"We've Got A Situation Here" just may be the catchiest song I've heard in years: huge, catchy chorus and catchy as fuck riffing! I am now way more excited for the debut of The Damned Things than I am the new Anthrax record (Anthrax has been by far my favorite band for the past 17 years, too).

I know that almost every metalhead had nothing but bad things to say when this project was announced. But I say, tough titties! Keith Buckley of Everytime I Die is an incredible vocalist. In my opinion, one of the best rock singers of the new generation. Amazing voice. Andy Hurley from Fall Out Boy is from my hometown-15 minutes north of where I grew up-near Milwaukee, and I remember him playing in local grindcore bands. He knows his metal.

The two songs posted have by far smashed my already very high expectations for this band! I really hope the rest of the album is just as great as what I've already played 10 times in a row!

Yeah I'm hanging for this too. Since this band was announced I've gotten into Every Time I Die.... New Junk Asthetic is fucking killer, and I'm not a huge fan of that style until this record. Amazing stuff, and you're spot on, Buckley is a great vocalist and his lyrics are genius. Going to check out these links right now.

I caught the new tracks last night (interestingly having just come back from a gig by the damned haha) and I was totally blown away. I knew they were plugging the stuff heavily before we'd even hear it but fair play, it's actually even better than Rob was saying. Situation' will nuke MTV! If it is all of the standard of the 2 available tracks then this band will fucking explode, and if so may sadly have repercussions for 'thrax...

I wouldn't mind if this became Scott's priority, though I don't see that happening with everything else going on. Now that John's out (and I completely understand why he did what he did), I'm not the least bit excited for the new Anthrax album because Joey...nah.

"Situation" is the best song I've heard in a very long time. I hear new songs everyday, but this is amazing! Especially it being a new band I was already very excited about. To me, it sounds like the mutated offspring of Thin Lizzy, a good pop punk band (non-wussy pop punk-it does exist), with a metal overtone for good measure.

Thanks Teacher Dave and Timmy C for backing me up on this one!

Out with the Anthrax - In with The Damned Things!

Yeah...I'd rather listen to this than Joeythrax - at least this band has metal singer...:)

T:)

Don't get me wrong I want Anthrax 100 x more than this record, but this will be a great fill-in in the meantime.

I think timing for this in weird...shouldn't they be doing new Anthrax album...with the other singer?

i too think the timing of this is very off. I think the tracks are very good and very marketable. They could be big or biggish. I could see them getting lots of attention in the coming months. And where does that leave them and anthrax. Either way. Great work.

I'm very interest about this project too.
I think Scott dont need Anthrax any more, he have Poker, BD, Pearl project, is club in LV and a lot of other things going on.
And he publicly said a lot of time that he dont want Joey to fronting Anthrax and Prefer John. Joey was the choice of CHarlie, who need Anthrax more than Scott. CHarlie (and Frank), had just Anthrax (Frank do some acting), they need someting for paying the bills.
And how are they pay the bills?? Anthrax dont tour, so they dont bring money home (with anthrax).
The first time Charlie bring Joey back in the band in 2005, was the only way to bring Frank back in the band after he left for Helmet, and this time, Charlie bring Joey back in the band because John dont want to commited to the band and Joey was their last Option.
So, good chance in the future with this line-up, because, the reason to be, are not a good reason, they should have call it a day.

Yeah...I agree with you...

...hey, wait a minute - doesn't Charlie - I like 'em both, but I like John more - Benante have his coffee brand or something like that...and toy collection - perhaps he could sell that for paying the bills...:)

To be honest I'm not too impressed by the new songs they've played live...so perhaps this Big 4 thing is their last attempt...

...until the new album drops, blows up bigtime, and they tour the BIG4 in the U.S. late 2011/early 2012.

Do you really think the album will blow up big-time? I don't see that happening. Steve Perry singing over thrash riffs has not been relevant in 20 years. On top of that, with everything else that's happened within this band in the last 5 years, do you really expect this to last?

I really hope The Damned Things takes off. The music sounds fresh, youthful, and energetic. No dead horse to be kicked here, either. Though I'm sure the dead horse (Anthrax) may have some contractual agreements.

Regardless, Joey sucks and The Damned Things will have the best album this year.

...at least The Damned Things' singer has strong - METAL - voice!

...at least The Damned Things' singer has strong - METAL - voice!

Indeed, he does! I saw Everytime I Die in concert a year and a half ago and he is great on stage! What a voice! Not bad for a high school English teacher. "Situation" has the hooks that the Joey-era never had. That will be a fun sing-along live. They'd better take this shit on the road!

I'm taking bets that The Damned Things album will sell way more than than "Worship Music."

Indeed, he does! I saw Everytime I Die in concert a year and a half ago and he is great on stage! What a voice! Not bad for a high school English teacher. "Situation" has the hooks that the Joey-era never had. That will be a fun sing-along live. They'd better take this shit on the road!

I'm taking bets that The Damned Things album will sell way more than than "Worship Music."

Probably will. With FOB members involved especially, it'll sell very well.