The Devil Wears Prada - Dead Throne

Wow. This mix is a huge regression from their previous releases. Im not really even a big fan of Joey's mixes either.But damn what mess. Some songs are almost unlistenable. Those guitars need to come way down, tone is not the coolest the begin with, vocals dont cut through, drums do not have nearly enough power/sustain, cymbals are not loud enough. Clipping everywhere!

Goddamn. Was really hoping for a badass, somewhat natural sounding, and vibey cd. Any amount of that accomplished is completely overshadowed by this fail of a mix. Sad... definitely some their best songwriting and performing happening on this album. On a positive note, glad to hear the sturgis programmed ambiences/keys have been toned down a bit. He has the tendency to get a little carried away at times. I bet they will go back to Joey for their fifth album.

I gotta say last 4 albums, I loved em, this new 1 is average, and man those drums sound the same as Killswitche Engage. High screams have a whiny sound in em. I got my hands on this and the new 'Oh, Sleeper' so the new Devil Wears Prada now has no room on my playlist anymore ;p

It just lacks the atmosphere that this band really, really needs.

Atmosphere is the perfect word... Zombie had an airy organic depth to it but still that heavy punch... this mix has neither. Zombie destroys this.

it may be an issue of taste, but it's also an issue of what's appropriate for the band. Adam is an unbelievably gifted dude, but this band belongs with Joey. Attempting to deny that will be their undoing, that i am certain of.

It seems to me that Adam was trying to replicate the sound Joey had with the band, but his way (with real amps and stuff), and failed. That would explain a lot. I mean, It's still good, but to me it sounds like Plagues through bad speakers.

The songs themselves are pretty well made. The album sounds more live oriented than previous ones: faster, heavier and "epic-er", just what we need for moshing and headbanging in concerts :D. And I also love the leads, even though IIRC there's at least one that sounds like a Bring Me The Horizon song I can't nor want to recall. Gotta love that darker atmosphere :D. I just hate some of those awful intro riffs (Untidaled comes to mind).

And is it just me or Mike's yells (or whatever that new thing he does can be called) are a bit flat? :confused: They sound a bit disonant, mainly in the Drop B songs. Like if they were in A. And his lows were lower in Zombie EP, IMHO they also sound a bit off.

Atmosphere is the perfect word... Zombie had an airy organic depth to it but still that heavy punch... this mix has neither. Zombie destroys this.

it may be an issue of taste, but it's also an issue of what's appropriate for the band. Adam is an unbelievably gifted dude, but this band belongs with Joey. Attempting to deny that will be their undoing, that i am certain of.

Exactly, like I've listened to this a couple of times now and it just doesn't vibe like a Prada record. It's just missing that extra 25% of awesome over the top of everything. The mix itself just lacks front to back depth, it needs to programming and all the cool automated reverbs and whatnot to give it some of that. Everything on this is to upfront and dry and in a weird way.

Come to think of that, I feel this is a pretty common thing with Adam D's work, its all SUPER UPFRONT ALL OF THE TIME. Works for some things, but not for this.

Mix is kind of "soft" compared to what I've now been accustomed to with Zombie EP... Too "creamy"... The song itself is thumbs up (being a fan I can't really complain...), but the sound is disappointing, especially after an ear-bomb such as their last EP.

I agree. I have been a Prada fan since Dear Love and (even though Joey's recording technique has more than drastically changed since) that is the sound that I associate with them. I do respect Adam D and all the rest of his projects, but I was sorely disappointed in the style of recording of this album. I just feel like Joey's drum-centric mixes have so much more attack and power that Prada's music thrives on.