The Devil Wears Prada - Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord

austinhue

Feb 28, 2011
The Devil Wears Prada's first full length. Why does this record sound so awful? I've heard that the band basically asked for it to suck and Joey regretfully complied. But it seems more likely to me that Joey was just starting to get into recording and had no clue what he was doing.

The thing is, it sounds like the vocals were recorded with a decent mic... the guitars sound like Pod Farm, the drums sound sample replaced (if not with SSD)... so he had to know something. In fact, one of the most random things is that the clean vocals sound well edited, tuned nicely, doubled, and processed/mixed well... they're pretty much the only thing that sound decent on the whole record. Doesn't sound like anything is edited to the grid though and there are bad takes and straight up mistakes all over the place.

If this really is Joey sucking it up, he learned a whole lot in just two years, when he started putting out records like WCAR's Dreams EP. And after just 5 years, he is one of the most popular and talented producers in the genre. Still, the real question is: How did TDWP and Joey get popular off this!?

welp... ya gotta start somewhere!

edit:

i should probably also add: popularity happens before the label support (in most cases).

so, prada already had a pretty solid fan base from playing "shows" i'm sure. then the label catches wind of their popularity and eventually figures out a way to buy their music and distribute it for them.

i think i heard about prada in los angels about 5 years ago... some kids were talking about them and i remember thinking to myself; "isn't that a novel?"

then, about 1 year later - it became a film and i was like: "DAMN this band is gaining some serious momentum!" but alas, this was the film adaptation of the novel.

so i guess you can say; in my experience, the only reason i even gave them a second listen was because of the film (in a way).

like tim said, you gotta start somewhere. no one is amazing first try. even joey is saying hes still learning and hes getting better with each album he releases, which sounds impossible seeing how he's already very good.

Plus you have to think of the era and what sounded popular at the time.
Prada was into new-age "grind" at the time and having a dirty and non-polished sound was very popular.

listen to the Patterns of a Horizon EP in comparison to the full length. I think everyone can agree that Joey showed a very nice progression from the EP to the full length

And yes he did mic the amps in Dear Love. I didn't think it sounded anything like a Pod.

I never claimed he didn't.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/5319543-post25.html

in the very early days, i recorded real amps. go back to releases like never again, or prada's beautiful discord and check it out. i also tried a hybrid of real amps for the amp, and then cab simulation via plugin... for that check out every bridge burned - Aun Aprendo

honestly, it sounded horrible, which is why i took the amp simulation route.

Well gorshhh they sound mic'd haha that's gotta be some weird processing chain he used.

joeymusicguy said:
you think it sounds like shit? it was like forever ago bro lol

and most of it is all real. we didn't use a click or anything.

I figured there was no way those drums were sampled. If they were that would be a humanizing masterpiece

This album kinda sounds like pray for plagues to me. Very gritty and real, with difference of the song writing, which is less aggressive than p4p.