the doors....

Originally posted by Slipknot_isn't_metal
yea ...the man was a poet of his own kind

Indeed, my personal favorite piece of his, "Lament for the Death of my Cock" :lol: it is actually a pretty damn good poem

My housemate has Morrison's poetic album and it's pretty fucking funny.

'The black snake trailed through the desert, and all the Indians bled dreams of sleek blackness.....'

It's just to stream of consciousness for the likes of me. But obviously plenty of people enjoy it.

Yes, they were definitely way ahead of their time. I enjoy their music a lot, but not as much as one girl in my school who says that she trips on acid to feel closer to Jim. :lol:

BTW, I saw The Doors movie on VH1 last night. It's a pretty decent portrayal of the band and their lives.

Originally posted by Demonspell
Anyone else think that Opeth should cover Riders On The Storm?

I think that would be a great cover. It would be so much better than Creed's cover of it. :lol:

Although, I must say that it was kind of interesting seeing the lead singer of Creed playing with the remaining members of The Doors on VH1 a while back.

Huge fan here !!!

Awesome music, and those who think of it as obsolete - well, it's their loss. This misty world that they paint - Morrison evokes poweful imagery just with the sound of his voice and the choice of notes, but when you combine it with the beautiful lyrics (the best example I can give of stunning effect produced by economy of words) and the surreal rock-n-roll backup - the result is eternal and touches something inside you (me).

"Waiting for the Sun" is my most loved Doors album.

D Mullholand

Oh,i used to be a HUGE the doors fan when i was 14 :) had (and still have) all their albums except for the live one ...and even a biography of morisson + the "riders on the storm" book...

*memories*

YES! :)

The Doors! I have loved them for a long time now...they are still as fresh as the now, not so, initial rush I got upon discovering them. 30 odd years on and only about 6 for me...I wonder if Opeth will have the same effect on it's small, but devoted group of fans?

D Mullholand, "economy of words" is one of the greatest talents that Jim possessed; one aspect of his lyrical genius that seems, in my experience, to be easily misunderstood...
You got me on "Waiting for the Sun". That was my clear favorite for a long while, but recently "LA Woman" has edged forward. I love the richness of vocal; just like an aged bottle of wine...The lyrics are almost fey, this could maybe be pretty close to the truth given how close Jim was to death. OH! I love it all! :)

The musical backup is also a phenomenon that equally blows my mind (I am thinking of "The End" as a supreme example). Powerful Economy comes to mind again. As was oft said, John, Ray and Robbie played an unbelievable role in perfectly supporting Morrison's talents (the nett effect anyways). They were all obviously talented themselves, it would have been easy it seems for The Doors to crumble in other ways had they not functioned as a group.

Awesome thread! It doesn't suprise me that The Doors have a significant following here.

Originally posted by requiem
My housemate has Morrison's poetic album and it's pretty fucking funny.

'The black snake trailed through the desert, and all the Indians bled dreams of sleek blackness.....'

It's just to stream of consciousness for the likes of me. But obviously plenty of people enjoy it.

Hahahaha! Your favorite Morrison impersonation! The Black Snake gives it away.
I like "An American Prayer" as a subtle, yet lucid view on American (Occidental) culture...and more. ;)