The Duskfall - Lifetime Supply of Guilt

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
The Duskfall - Lifetime Supply of Guilt
Nuclear Blast – 2005
By Adam McAuley

duskfall_lsog.jpg

This album is standard generic melo-death, that doesn't do an incredible amount to differentiate itself from the hundreds of At the Gates clones that have emerged since the genre's inception. Furthermore, the metalcore aspect the band contains is also diluted within their overall sound, giving them nothing to be particularly proud of, though the music they play isn't bad by any means. The two aforementioned genres constantly intermingle and alternate without any particular attention payed to either one, making the band become lost among superior bands within those genres rather than becoming an innovative, distinguishable entity.

Vocals are similarly generic and overall the band doesn't really give a stellar impression despite being relatively competent at what they do. We all know the formula by now: brief catchy intro followed by catchy aggressive riffing that leads into more melodic material during the chorus' and bridges and The Duskfall play the part very similarly to many other acts. I usually seem to only find my interest peaked with this genre when someone does something particularly original or surprising (see the new Hyprocisy for a great example of the latter) and The Duskfall does neither, so it is difficult to recommend them in any way. None of the tracks stood out particularly, they all melded together into a fairly uninteresting whole that has little overall merit because it is simply too mundane to raise a pulse or hold your interest. The music lacks texture or depth as well. Again, the band is relatively competent, but after hearing so many within this genre, that simply isn't good enough for me anymore.

5.5/10

Official The Duskfall Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website