The End of History

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
There is no history in America. None. Politicians neither know of, nor care to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors or of history. Students in American schools have almost no knowledge of the constitution and American government, and would be hard-pressed to name not only former presidents, but also even the basic historical eras of American history. But this theme doesn’t end with political history, no, its the total amnesia of every sphere. There is almost no knowledge of past artists, capitalists, inventors, composers, writers, historical eras, religion, and so on and so forth. Not only is there almost no knowledge and understanding of the past, but there is also a collective cultural disdain for any such study and knowledge. We live for today and the future: an open, limitless future, where each American is to make his own way free from any historical and traditional impediments.

Why is this?

I contend we Americans are adolescents, trapped in a perpetual state of puberty. We hate tradition and authority, and seek freedom. History is like ones parents; it’s a limit on ones potential or freedom. Thus, it’s disregarded. And our news is filled with stories to make us happy or prey on our basic adolescent drives of violence and sex. We idolize a very superficial set of celebrities, as they most embody our adolescent behavior: these talent-less actors and actresses, pop singers, presidents (think how adolescent Clinton and Bush Jr, are). Action and emotion, not thought is the order of the day. This “now,” action and emotional driven ethos, is further strengthen by capitalism: the most destructive, rebellious and freedom (in the economic sense) seeking movement in human history. And to make matters worse, this American Dream of controlling ones future and destiny, is supported by immigration. Instead of settling down into some mature form of culture and tradition, our society is injected with more and more immigrants, also torn from any traditions they once had, and intent on fulfilling their own personal, and mythical American dreams.

Therefore the question becomes, why bother with doing something great, with parenting and marriage? Why bother learning why our world is set up like it is? Why bother with these previous attempts at immortality? Who cares if ones child turns out poorly? Who cares if one becomes a great artist or inventor? If the culture has no interest, why not live entirely as an adolescent: live to fulfill ones pleasures, and emotions?

I am firmly convinced the end of history is upon us.

P.S. And I haven’t even touched on the explosion of information that floods the world everyday. Can one imagine a historian three hundred years from now, trying to piece together a partially representative history from the billions of documents, YouTube files, idiotic news stories, blogs, etc? I will devote a future thread to this topic.

I don't live in america so tell me if I'm wrong but I've heard that the government controls the news, no american really knows what's going in the world or even in their own state. So maybe it's the same with the history.
here in belgium, history is an obligated course in school, we get it 1-2 hours a week in most grades and we learn alot going from prehistoric to the present time. It's interesting sometimes, alot of time is devoted to our own history here.

Maybe it doesn't need to be thaught in America since alot of history is only bound to the own state altough I believe that former presidents and great inventions are really important, also the civil war, declaration of independance and stuff like that.

It might also be because history is there to learn from and america refuses to do that. I take the example of Viet-nam and the current situation in Iraq to show this. Viet-nam was a mistake, lots of ppl died there and they still lost but they kept sending new troops to the area, same thing with Iraq, Bush is going to send new troops again because alot of them are dying (the body count is now around 9,000 I think).

Personally I think history important.

For the most, I concur with speed. Perhaps the viewpoint is a bit extreme, but the underpinning is nonetheless indisputable, and I'm quite certain not many impartial observations of American society would deny that.

However, there is a great deal of intent in this apparent disregard. For one, the advocacy and perpetuation of crass consumerism and individualism without any understanding of its core principles props up an otherwise imperfect liberal social order inasmuch as individual awareness about American socio-political history is concerned, and to a great extent - as Chomsky and others have frequently argued - has government support.

As far as politicians themselves are concerned, I believe it would be going a bit too far to suggest they are as unaware as the ordinary citizen. An important clarification is pertinent: when making statements referring to 'the Americans', it is indispensable to draw distinguish between various social forces: the politicians, the academia, the urban dweller, those inclined towards particular goals (the Christian right, blue-collar white males, and so on) and so on and so forth.

For instance, the media and everything else is overrun by the general impression that 'the Americans' did not learn from Vietnam. Given the intricacies of American political institutions and the multi-layered advisory levels, it is preposterous to suggest any administration would not be mindful of Vietnam before invading Iraq. What is more relevant is the economic basis of all war: the war on terror coinciding exactly with the worst recession in more than twenty years and the newly elected Bush Jr.'s declinining popularity, and both the Afghan and Iraq wars coinciding with rising concerns about sustainable fuel sources. By and large, economics is disregarded as basis for political analysis despite the centrality of Political Economy being common knowledge within the Academia.

Further, it explains much more: handling North Korea with kid-gloves, washing administrative hands clean of Lebanon, and you get the hang.

In general, therefore, commencing the War on Terror may have been excellent politics rather than poor policy inasmuch as the Republicans were concerned. Of course it is relevant here that the American two-party system is essentially one party, and independent group reports about how it is becoming increasingly impossible for Americans to get on the ballot what they want to vote for abound in prodigious numbers, albeit never making it to mainstream media - again with good foresight from an increasingly authoritarian political system.

Anyway I believe I'm digressing, so I'll just cut it short here.

Edit: As far as history is concerned, I believe Europe stands out as an excellent example of how it is exceedingly useful. Consider, for example, the fact that most of Britain's constitution is unwritten, and Britain is plagued with less half the institutional barriers and red tapism that have now come to define American legislation. Similarly, France successfully runs a parliamentary-presidential hybrid smoothly, and considering the disparate nature of the two systems, it is not surprising that political culture should play an instrumental role to this effect.

As far as politicians themselves are concerned, I believe it would be going a bit too far to suggest they are as unaware as the ordinary citizen. An important clarification is pertinent: when making statements referring to 'the Americans', it is indispensable to draw distinguish between various social forces: the politicians, the academia, the urban dweller, those inclined towards particular goals (the Christian right, blue-collar white males, and so on) and so on and so forth.

Indeed, perhaps it is too much of a generalization, and does not take academia, urban dwellers on the coasts, etc into account. However, recent studies show only between 10-20% of Americans can answer basic questions pertaining to American history and American government. Furthermore, as a former substitute history/gov etc. teacher (for a brief period of time a few years ago), and a lifelong resident of the midwest (and now a unhappy resident of the South), the average American I meet or taught, is much different than the average American I would meet in say NY, Boston, San Fran; and this average American has appallingly low levels of competance and knowledge in history and government, and moreover, seems to have no desire to ever attain competance.

If one is a adolescent (like Americans), parents represent authority and restrictions on freedom. History represents tradition, and in almost every culture but America, tradition brings with it restrictions.

History "represents" a lot of things, and I don't really see how the fact that history "represents" tradition would be seen as some kind of threat or impediment to personal freedom. Are you sure you're not just making things up?

History "represents" a lot of things, and I don't really see how the fact that history "represents" tradition would be seen as some kind of threat or impediment to personal freedom. Are you sure you're not just making things up?

Of course Im making things up!

I agree with speed's first post. I do though, feel a need to point out a generalization about what is being considered 'history' here. The usage of the term has been done to specifically point out the political/artistic/social/cultural progression. Most of these will be intrackable in the times to come because of sheer ignorance on the majority of american people's part. Its a shame that people "do not care" anymore, simply put.

The term progression (in my opinion certainly) (on a global basis) would be incomplete if one omits 'technology' as one of its realms. Technological advancements the world watches today are far faster and brilliant than time has ever seen, and most of these originate right in the US (even if the 'intention' behind the invention is economic profits). I am a believer that a space filled with matter must also have its 'anti' to balance it out. Same, is the case with the american population. Agreed, majority are weak at even the most elementary level of knowledge when it comes to those subjects, but the balance makes it even by strengthening the strong more so than compared to their likes in other parts of the world. America has, provided the most brilliant pieces of technology over the past century, which hasn't only made life simpler and convenient, but set foundation for what probably will not be any less than a technological revolution in the coming decades.

I must say you arent taking a very historic approach to this matter. Generally, most societies throughout history have had the same proportion, in my opinion, of ignorant, right winged, left winged, atheist, spiritual people, and a enlightened scholarly with a mix of the previous traits. In essence, in terms of education, and perhaps even class, the three estates have been cyclically reinstated into the american system. Be it good or bad, in such a system there will always be a large uneducated population, with a smaller, more learned elite.

Is history dead then? No, all the transcripts written 2000(some) years ago to this day remain in tact, and are easily accesible in any university, school, television program, or the internet. I believe the same proportion of people who were interested in history 500 years ago still exists today, its just we are more cynical of the present than the past, and without proper research, it is easy to assume we are all becoming stupid. History is being made everyday, in the TV transcripts and topical events written in books. It all depends on where you look. If you emerse yourself in the irgnorence of the masses, thats all your gonna see, if you elevate yourself to a more sophistocated class, so will your views. Dont worry about society, worry about yourself, and then maybe you can become an elected official with historical knowledge. No point complaining about it on forums, if you want change become a teacher.

Having said that, american education is simply underfunded and is lacking in not just history but everything, probably just cyclical, and when people realize what they are lacking in, a trend will start, and everything will balance out. Just look at the history channel, would it have been around 30 years ago? prolly not, but there is a large enough market for it to exist.

I don't live in america so tell me if I'm wrong but I've heard that the government controls the news, no american really knows what's going in the world or even in their own state.

It's not so much the government, just that the companies (even news ones) run wild and promote whatever sells; this even extends to selective reporting in news media. So the problem is more in terms of limitless growth in the private sector which actually becomes oppressive, rather than some "evil government" pulling all the strings.

I contend we Americans are adolescents, trapped in a perpetual state of puberty. We hate tradition and authority, and seek freedom.

I realized a few years ago that in America, as long as one has the money to do something, it's permitted. Therefore, if you're wealthy enough to live like a kid forever no one is going to stop you.

Having said that, american education is simply underfunded

Nothing could be further from the truth! American public education is a digraceful squandering of money on a biblical-scale. In just the past three decades, per pupil spending(adjusted for inflation) has at least doubled.
Spending in allegedly "underfunded" urban school districts is actually higher on averge than other areas, with an even more spectacuarly poor return on investment to show for it! It is scandalous!

Therefore the question becomes, why bother with doing something great, with parenting and marriage? Why bother learning why our world is set up like it is? Why bother with these previous attempts at immortality? Who cares if ones child turns out poorly? Who cares if one becomes a great artist or inventor? If the culture has no interest, why not live entirely as an adolescent: live to fulfill ones pleasures, and emotions?

It would seem that this is preceisely the cynical sentiment our modern "culture" is designed to evoke. And indeed, it has been a smashing success! The cult of the hedonistic super-individual taken to its illogical conclusion.
Then again, perhaps that is just the right climate from which true greatness can emerge. Sooner or later the "fat, dumb, and happy" euphoria must wear off and come to an end. And maybe those who see it now, who know there is more to life than this materialistic servitude, can rise from the ashes - having educated themsleves, learned tangible skills, secured a suitable spouse, concieved viable off-spring, etc. Or is this just optimistic foolishness?

Doesn't sound terribly optimistic to me. Be born, Learn, Fuck, Die - this is the life of a Man-Machine. Where's the individuality? If someone doesn't want to do these things, it seems to me to be more harmful to indoctrinate them than to leave them be. Not that they're not already being indoctrinated, of course. Either way, it's a substitute-self

I'm more concerned with the rewriting and manipulative falsification of history. As George Orwell put it: "he who controls the past controls the future, and he who controls the present controls the past". This is the motto of the Ministry of Information in his novel "1984".

I must agree with norsemaiden there, it has happened that some ppl just "vanished" from history books.

@Aarohi: most technology and development is done in china and Japan. There are many highly educated ppl there who move to america and Europe because the living conditions are better and the pay as well.

I thought you are a fan os Oswald Spengler.

Maybe he is right and American or in general Western histroy/culture is at its end, because all the potential of this culture is exhausted and it has now reached old age, degeneracy and decadence.

But that would not mean the end of history on a large scale.

I thought you are a fan os Oswald Spengler.

Maybe he is right and American or in general Western histroy/culture is at its end, because all the potential of this culture is exhausted and it has now reached old age, degeneracy and decadence.

But that would not mean the end of history on a large scale.

Indeed, Oswald was pretty spot on in his predictions of the decline or change of Europe. However, I dont think he truly understood America. Hell, I dont know if I understand, and I'm afraid too. So Im a bizarre non-American thinking American.

I wonder if all of this is even a negative? Is it? I dont know. From a material and quality of life standpoint, I dont think it is. Its a culture of an extreme love of action, unbounded optimism and total capitalism. As Aarohi pointed out, look what we've done in the last century. Culturally we may be bankrupt, but it seems that doesnt matter.

Is history really useful to everyone? It seems awfully difficult to break it down into discrete elements well enough to illustrate any useful causes and effects. History sometimes seems a little like the popular usage of statistics - easily used to 'prove' any point you like, given sufficient knowledge of the subject matter. I wonder if it perhaps blinds us as often as it shows us the way...

Of course I see the importance for it to be available, and I guess even if it is easily twisted, it can be twisted and simplified in the direction of useful education. Just sometimes I wonder whether too much emphasis is put on it - "it didn't work in the past because such and such, so it will never work" etc. Given sufficient analysis and understanding of present human action - is history particularly useful? I am not positing an answer, just a question :)

Nothing could be further from the truth! American public education is a digraceful squandering of money on a biblical-scale. In just the past three decades, per pupil spending(adjusted for inflation) has at least doubled.
Spending in allegedly "underfunded" urban school districts is actually higher on averge than other areas, with an even more spectacuarly poor return on investment to show for it! It is scandalous!

so how much does a year of tuition cost at a good university? Im always hearing of ppl bitching about university being too expensive.