The External Kick Mic

Fox Mulder

The Truth Is Out There
Jan 22, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
*Note: I developed this habit very recently, especially when I stopped taking my productions for granted.*

I just stick to using one mic inside the hole which gets sample replaced eitherways.:( I never use external mics for the kick even when I'm stuck up with SD or something either. Most of you might be thinking, 'Why?' Well, the answer is simple:

I don't know what to do with them. I can imagine the whole 'rock ambience/not for metal' hype (correct me if I'm wrong), but still - What do I do if I ever feel like using them? :Smokedev:

I'm terribly sorry for making you guys pull all your hair off due to my fragmented manner of communication. English is not my first language.

Normally you could use it for a little extra oomph in your kick, with the sample on top of that. Use an expander to get rid of the tail a little bit, and gate off extraneous noise. Works for me quite well.

Yeah, it's less about ambiance (you are still right there) and more about the drum tone/pitch and not just the transient. There is no rule you need it but it can be cool and there is no reason you can't automate the outside mic up and based on what the part calls for.

Only really started using this more recently. Loving it. Try and get your deep lows from the outside mic and the attack from the inside one. The outside mics not very far away from the drum, only about 6 inches or so. Was never really satisfied with my kicks sounds naturally and the last 2 projects I've done I used the outside mic combined with the inside( beta 52 and a D6) and not even blended in samples I'ev been so happy with the sound.

the FET47 RULES for this

Only really started using this more recently. Loving it. Try and get your deep lows from the outside mic and the attack from the inside one. The outside mics not very far away from the drum, only about 6 inches or so. Was never really satisfied with my kicks sounds naturally and the last 2 projects I've done I used the outside mic combined with the inside( beta 52 and a D6) and not even blended in samples I'ev been so happy with the sound.

Yeah, it's less about ambiance (you are still right there) and more about the drum tone/pitch and not just the transient. There is no rule you need it but it can be cool and there is no reason you can't automate the outside mic up and based on what the part calls for.

Normally you could use it for a little extra oomph in your kick, with the sample on top of that. Use an expander to get rid of the tail a little bit, and gate off extraneous noise. Works for me quite well.

That just reminds me - I'm gonna start working with this nu-metal band soon who wants the LimpBizkit kick that we hear on Rollin'. Thanks guys :wave:

Using a Little Labs IBP, or similar phase manipulator, on one of the mics can be well worth the effort to plug it in.

I got phase bug, would consider LL if needed. I can understand clearly why I'd need to process them differently, and by processing I specifically mean compression because different EQ settings there are like... DUH! :lol: I was wondering - Would I need to bus the 2 together into another compressor, or would just a clipper give me decent results? I suck at compression. Oh well, I'll try using my imagination till you guys drop in again. Thanks!