Recording with a console and external pre

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
I have some noob questions. :)
If you record something using a console with some external preamp, where does the signal enter first?

mic -> console -> pre -> daw
or
mic -> pre -> console -> daw
?

I'm looking for a Mackie 1604VLZ3 16-Channel Mixer and it seems to have good pres. If it's true...I can use the 16 built in pres and go out to the digi003+adat module (or every other card).
If it's not true (bad pres) I think it would be better to work without console and use only an interface+8pres module, because it seems to become a pain in the ass working with a bad pres mixer and this "semipro" interfaces..

What do you think?
Thanks

I don't have much need for a console right now - I think most other people on this forum are running external preamps and converters. For the money the Mackie Onyx 800R is great and is definitely a step up from the VLZ stuff.

Also look at Audient's 8 channel pre if you can afford more, if its less look at Presonus stuff.

Oh and you'd run the preamps ahead of the console if you aren't using the console's in built ones.

this is correct i run preamps to my adx16 if you have an 002/003 it would be better to just get an adat pre/converter and use digis built in conversion rather than doubling the conversion from the mackie to the digi... therefor bypassing the mixer all togeather, or just using it for headphone mixes.... i would not use the mackie as a summing mixer imo.

i recently sold my console and already miss its sound................
ssl matrix next year if things keep up

Im guessing theres a patchbay? If so, go out of the mic source row into the external pre and insert it into the channel path if you want to use the source fader as an extra trim before your DAW. If not, just patch out of the mic source into the external pre and right into the DAW patch row.

calling a mackie a console may be part of the problem. :)

In the modern home studio the mixer is obsolete (IMO). SSL Matrix is another story completely.

in any case the wiring would be like this

Mic>xlr cable>preamp>trs cable>interface line in>DAW
mixer>trash can

[edit]shouldn't this be in the equipment forum?
Phil's site says he's got Lynx Aurora 16