Noob Preamp Connection Question

_Brutalism_

May 14, 2008
Hi,

I don't know if this has been asked before but I've searched the forum to no avail.

Till now, I've always used the in-built Mic preamps in my mixing console and still don't have an external pre yet.

How would it be possible to connect the external pre to my mixer to utilise its on-board eq, effects and monitoring?

Would this just require connecting the Output from the External Pre to the Line in of the mixer, using the Trim from the External pre whilst keeping the in-built trim knob off? Or would this still defeat the purpose? Will this method colour the tone due to the mixer's internal wiring and counter my intentions of using the high quality external pre? What would be the correct way?

I'm sorry, I know this is a noob question but I never had to deal with external pres and I'm hesitant on spending so much money only to be disappointed through misconceptions.

Thank you very much in advance.

You can connect the preamp out to a line input at unity gain or use an insert.

So this means that passing the signal through the mixer AFTER the preamp won't affect the sound unless tweaked with the mixer's EQ and/or effects?