The Film's of William Friedkin: Discussion & Analysis

It's pretty? Nice.
Lol. It's not one of Friedkin's better film's compared to some of his classics, but for a military court-room drama it hits the mark. Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson put in strong performances. In my opinion it is worth a view.

I'm rarely a fan of courtroom dramas. Feels like they always end up turning into "yOu cAn'T hAnDLe tHe tRuTh!!1!"-tier overacting.

it is an inherently stagey uncinematic subgenre for sure, i’m told anatomy of a murder is an incredible one though.

Reactions: CiG
it is an inherently stagey uncinematic subgenre for sure, i’m told anatomy of a murder is an incredible one though.

I've heard about that one! Cheers for reminding me about it. It's not so much the courtroom element I dislike it's the drama part, so the idea of a more anatomical presentation of the genre really appeals to me. The performative stuff is just a bit corny is all.

Agreed... as a lawyer myself I can rarely stomach that stuff. I wish directors would make more gritty unglamorised courtroom dramas.

Anatomy of a Murder is a standout for sure, as is Kubrick's Paths of Glory. 12 Angry Men is a classic but it all takes place in the jury room with no lawyers involved.

Witness for the Prosecution (Billy Wilder) is great too, but it is totally stagey, just clever enough to get away with it.

Looks like Friedkin did a remake of 12 Angry Men 3 years before Rules of Engagement. He must've been really feeling the whole court drama genre at that time.

I've actually seen that but totally forgot it was Friedkin. I remember it being pretty faithful to the original, and therefore pretty pointless. George C Scott put in a solid turn as the antagonistic juror - the role filled by Lee Cobb in the original.

Agreed... as a lawyer myself I can rarely stomach that stuff. I wish directors would make more gritty unglamorised courtroom dramas.

Anatomy of a Murder is a standout for sure, as is Kubrick's Paths of Glory. 12 Angry Men is a classic but it all takes place in the jury room with no lawyers involved.

Witness for the Prosecution (Billy Wilder) is great too, but it is totally stagey, just clever enough to get away with it.

I had no idea you were a lawyer! My opinion of you has reached a new low. What are your feelings on Better Call Saul?

I had no idea you were a lawyer! My opinion of you has reached a new low. What are your feelings on Better Call Saul?

Haha... we are impervious to your disdain. I actually find Better Call Saul one of the more realistic legal dramas going around, TV or cinema. Still exaggerated of course but a lot of it rings true, eg the Sandpiper class action, the application to strike off Jimmy as a lawyer, most of Kim's work in fact.

The parts that I can't relate to, it's difficult to say how much of it is due to the fiction of it and how much is due to how wack the American legal system is IRL. I remember screaming at the TV during Making of a Murderer; I still can't believe how fucked their system can be.

I tend to enjoy when courtroom scenes show up in films, regardless of how realistic they are. Recently watched The Lady From Shanghai and the courtroom scene in that is special, and State and Main ...where the courtroom turns out not to be what it seems.

Haven't watched too many that are heavily based around courtrooms, but I Confess and The Exorcism of Emily Rose are good ones in my books.