Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
The Final Sigh - Legion Of Quitters And Live Demo
Self-released - Demo - 2004
By Anna Novitzky

I want so much to be kind to The Final Sigh. They seem like nice boys on the press release, and the demos came on teeny-tiny little CDs so cute you could just eat them up. The music also strikes me as terribly cute, but I’m not altogether sure that that’s the sound they’re going for.

It’s the sound of boys who want to be big scary head-banging men. The earlier CD, Legion of Quitters, is passable death metal, which does what death metal is supposed to, i.e. fill the room with the sound of howling and give hangover victims a headache, but it never really flies. The untitled live demo suffers from terrible sound quality, which inevitably impairs your listening pleasure, but even heard clearly the music would be disjointed and scrappy, wandering in some sort of death metal/hardcore no man’s land with no real conviction or purpose.

The band have undergone a line-up change in between the two recordings, and they seem to have lost a sense of direction along with their old singer. Still, what there is shows signs of promise, and it would be a mistake to dismiss The Final Sigh just yet. They could go far, if only they’d work out which way they’re heading.

3/10

Official The Final Sigh Website