The first metal albums...?

Originally posted by The Grand Wazoo
I dunno, did everyone just start to listen to metal at once here? Don't you have to "build that up", like, start with rock and go on to metal? ...Or is it just me?
(Probably :s )

Ooooh, now you mention that, I was a massive Eric Clapton fan before I bought The Number Of The Beast :D Eric Clapton and Bryan Ferry, yeah, they were my faves. I used to rifle through my dad's CD collection like nothing...

*phew*

See, I was wondering how people get 'into it'.
And.. How did you get all the music then? From friends, mp3's? How did you know what to look for? I mean, which bands etc?

Yeah through friends at school back in the early 80's. We all got into through some tapes of of the lads had discovered.

From then we all got into tape trading with people around the world when we were 12 or 13. Long before the days of MP3 and the like...I don't think I had a CD player until 1990!

Originally posted by Eagle
I can only hope that somewhere down the line there is in fact a hint of truth in the rumours of a Priest Reunion. No disrespect aimed at Timothy 'Flipper' Owens (I think he does an excellent job on Jugulator) there will only ever be one Rob Halford.

Also I wonder what Priest would have sounded like if Ralf Scheepers had got the job!? I'm glad he never did though cause I'm a huge Primal Fear fan!

Hey Eagle,

I know what you mean about Ripper. No one can fill Rob's shoes, he's a one-off genius - THE Metal GOD. Still I've seen Priest live with Ripper twice and I can't think of anyone who could do it better in the circumstances.

Ralf Scheepers was too obvious a choice I think. I remember reading an interview with him after Ripper was appointed. He was totally pissed off. Priest obviously saw it as an opportunity to make a clean break.

As for a renunion. Rob's already said that if he was offered he'd take it...

Originally Posted By Metal-Adam
Ralf Scheepers was too obvious a choice I think. I remember reading an interview with him after Ripper was appointed. He was totally pissed off. Priest obviously saw it as an opportunity to make a clean break.

Valid point! Also I think Ralf would have wanted to contribute a lot more to the songwriting whilst 'Kipper' seems quite happy to sing Glenn Tipton's songs.

Eventually 'IF' Halford returned, then maybe 'Nipper' will form his own band. A fine example of a similar situation is Blaze Bayley from Maiden (Who I think has done tremendous!).

I've also seen Priest twice with 'Ripper! First time Savatage were supporting and completely blew Priest away. The second time was better and he did a fine job but I was disappointed with 'Painkiller' and the exclusion of 'Cathedral Spires'. The latter being one of (if not) the best Priest songs ever!

I suppose I better enter the Priest debate as I have quite strong feelings re. Ripper. I have to agree that Jugulator is a great album.....but I think Rob Halford would have sung it better. I have had two opportunities to see Priest recently...and happily I never took up either!! Watching the Live DVD earlier this year I had to leave the room when Ripper began to sing Beyond the Realms....!! (This caused Eagle a great amount of mirth!!) I just can't take to the guy at all...and that's a slight understatment!!

Oh...and I think Ralf was robbed....but it was our gain ......Primal Fear rock!! :headbang:

Originally posted by dragonmaiden
IWatching the Live DVD earlier this year I had to leave the room when Ripper began to sing Beyond the Realms....!!
If that's what you're using to guide your opinion on Priest's live prowess, then don't. I was there on the night, and they were *awful*. They were far better both times I've seen them at the Astoria, although yes, I'll agree that Savatage gave them a run for their money. Gorefest were pretty grim, though :)