The font he used on...

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Hey Travis and friends, what is that font that Mr. Smith used on the new Opeth cover for the title? And I think he used it on an "Earth" cover too. I like the look of this font and would like to try it out for a friend.

Please help? Thanks!

It does look really cool, man. It's cool to know you made those swirls and edited it up. So wait, they liked it meaning Opeth or the Earth people? It seems like a pretty strange choice on Opeth's part... it seems weird on their new cover... but it is a very beautiful font. :)

Thanks by the way, I will look for the font. :D

no, the swirls are on the font. that was *one* reason it was used or preferred over a handwriting look that one would expect there, when you type it, it has more swirls when you have CAPS on, like a lot of them that overlap eachother. and the other didn't have enough, or the swirls were in odd places. and some of the letters didn't fill in, etc... so i made it a graphic of the title and edited it a bit into the title that's there. we went through a few of those styles and that was the version that was chosen.

Thanks for the fantastic insight, man. Well I found a demo of it, not too sure about dropping a week's worth of food money for a font, heheh... Well to keep this thread going, may I ask, what are some of your techniques for creating a good "grain filter"? Having grainy photos seems to be so popular these days, and they also hide a bit of the "flaws" you could call them, that rise from using photographs to make artwork.... I certainly love the magic wand tool, and zooming in very close to smooth out the rough edges, but I still like the appearance of the grain style.

Even on the new Opeth cover, I see it is somewhat present... so what would be your advice? My friend Chris uses an image of asphalt over top of the image for grain I believe... I have trouble finding a suitable photo to work that way, but maybe it's my fault from inexperience.... :yuk:

And hey, did they let you listen to the album to create your artwork?

ya, or anything with now definite shape but with lots of subtle textures. Just change the layer type. I usually use overlay, although it depends on if its a dark or light image.
Not sure how many ways there are to do it.

i love the font. it gives the modern album cover an aged look. well done travis.

stupid question from a graduating graphic designer. travis, how much of the new cover was done in photoshop/illustrator? did u paint this and scan it in and edit it? thanks for the response!

stupid question from a graduating graphic designer. travis, how much of the new cover was done in photoshop/illustrator? did u paint this and scan it in and edit it? thanks for the response!
I second that question, as I too am curious! :)

I second that question, as I too am curious! :)

It's a photograph. Originally not too much different than the end result. Of course, it was brought into photoshop for some adjustments, editing, coloring, additions, fixes, etc. There was some painting involved but the extent of that was just a texture i did to put into it for a rougher, less clean, feel. That was especially important with this one. Oddly, even though this one appears to be a bit simpler on the surface, getting the elements and feeling just right in this one actually took longer than something that was put together piecce by piece..Like the new Still Life, for example.

I usually don't use Illustrator when doing the main images, but it was used for some work on the title.

It's a photograph. Originally not too much different than the end result. Of course, it was brought into photoshop for some adjustments, editing, coloring, additions, fixes, etc. There was some painting involved but the extent of that was just a texture i did to put into it for a rougher, less clean, feel. That was especially important with this one. Oddly, even though this one appears to be a bit simpler on the surface, getting the elements and feeling just right in this one actually took longer than something that was put together piecce by piece..Like the new Still Life, for example.

I usually don't use Illustrator when doing the main images, but it was used for some work on the title.

This is interesting. Thanks for shedding some light.

thanks for the response. your artwork has always given me a great deal of inspiration. thanks again!

I was looking for new fonts for a project im working on and Ive found something interesting concerning the watershed font. Maybe Travis or you guys already know...The origins of this font comes from 16th century

I noticed how the 'I' looks like the font used on watershed. Excellent choice in my opinion.
http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/Delamotte-16thcentury-wood.jpg

One man named F. Delamotte (around 19th) published "The Book of Ornamental Alphabets, Ancient and Medieval", which has plenty of 8th to 11th century alphabets.

http://www.fromoldbooks.org/DelamotteOrnamentalAlphabets/

If you are interested in the subject there's a lot more right here:
http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/caps.html