The Forgotten Masterpieces... an intro thread into obscure 70s prog

I said somewhere I have the Caravan 2cd anthology....

Amon Duul II - I have that anthology also.

Jane - an acquired taste, really bad vocals but haunting melodic keyboard and guitar work.
0000545941_170.jpg

if anyone wants a taste I can send a file, pm me an email addy if attachment size is no object.

Kraftwerk - Autobahn is a masterpiece.

Tangerine Dream is spotty. A HUGE catalogue. The first double live album is awesome.

yeah, Magma rocks. I've only heard their debut and "Mekanik Destructiw Kommandoh" (or however it's spelled). Both were brilliant. Did you know they invented their own language and all of their songs are sung in that language? Weird, but cool.

Supposedly, Happy Family is in the Zeuhl category, but I didn't hear too much in common with Magma. Great stuff nonetheless.

Check out Sotos, too. They are supposedly in the Canterbury style, but I'm not familiar enough with the prog-rock subgenres to say for sure. Great stuff, anyway.

Ok, so they're not from the 70s, but check 'em out just the same. In fact, check out all of Cuneiform Records' catalog http://www.cuneiformrecords.com

Enjoy

not obscure prog but: Traffic.
not Steve Winwood the wimp and beer commercial guy, but when he was at the height of his powers as singer, guitarist and keyboard player.

and Ayeka have you listened to the Michael Schenker Group Unforgiven World Tour CDs? To my knowledge the last tour he has been able to complete without meltdown, even though he had to replace the singer halfway through. A great cross-section of the best of his career.

Camel Bootleg
i'm sure BWD would find this of interest. i haven't listened so i don't know what the quality is like.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. You notice I quoted myself in this thread? I thought it was Black Winter Day that said it so I was agreeing with him. I'm glad you changed your avatar. :tickled:

I REALLY DO TALK TO MYSELF!!!