The Forsaken Classics of your Collection

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
I pulled the following out in the past two hours and consequently had my balls kicked in like Plastic Ninny after a round robin with 3 middle aged cougars.

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness (Pulled this out today)
Morgion - Cloaked by Ages (pulled out yesterday)

This got me to thinking about other recordings which desperately need a second honeymoon...

Arcane Sun S/T
Dusk - Mourning...Resurrect
Asmegin - Hin Vordende Sod & Sø
Hellveto - Prelude to Dying
Nachtfalke - Hail Victory Teutonia
Sun of the Sleepless/ Nachtmahr - Split
Temperance - Krapakalja
Yearning - Frore Meadow

:Smokin:

It's kind of ridiclious how under-appreciated Dusk and Aphotic were.

That Arcane Sun... one of my favourite albums. Period. Such a unique take on Death/Doom... and who doesn't like Piano instrumental with some light vocals?

i had both dusk and aphotic stuff, and while good, they really didn't rule me like perhaps Morgion does. I still play the Arcane Sun on occasion, and still love it. Still curious when Sentinel will re-release the thing, because rumor has it that it might come with the unreleased second album, but this has not been confirmed nor denied from what ive read.

That asmegin had some total awesome songs and some total shit (that baby crying song).

Nachtfalke rules. i cant decide which of his first three is best.

some that i need to play again:

Hades - dawn of the dying sun
summoning - minas morgul
dawn - slaughtersun
borknagar - quintessence (i still say this is their best)
falkenbach - the 1st one
golden dawn - art of dreaming

the problem is that i havent spun a black metal album in a while, exdept for the new graveland, and for the first time, darken failed to really enthrall me

exdept for the new graveland, and for the first time, darken failed to really enthrall me

The added excerpts of wolves snarling over a kill is far worse than a baby crying for milk (Asmegin), or an operatic fat lady succumbing to avoirdupois (LoDDoD). A complete embarrassment on Darken's part.

Recently, I've been listening to early half Primordial to the point of nauseousness. I had almost forgotten how devastatingly beautiful TGW is, as the overall wanton fellatio given to The Coffin Ships had abated any inclination to include it in my listening schedule.

My re-listening of Morgion - Cloaked By Ages, Crowned in Earth, was a little disappointing in San Gabriel Valley bumper to bumper traffic. Slow Succumbing is by far the highlight of the album, with the subsequent tracks tacitly pattering away in to the fade. I do love this album at times, but the time and setting needs to be on point. Perhaps if I had spun it on my return to El Gay when the firmament looked as if it was going to envelope every hacienda within my vantage, it would have settled on more attuned ears.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that ...Again Shall Be is superior to The Dawn of a Dying Sun. Though, I'm less familiar with that one as a whole, my last auditory audit (alliteration ftw) left my one size to large undies in a bundle. Last week I went to Target in search of boxers and dress socks. One caveat of advice to all of you lads who can't wait to receive such items as gifts during the holidays. Make sure to measure your waist y testiculos or you will be left moistened by post-urinary drizzle to the subterranean region of your scrotii.

to name a few...

Ancalagon - First Age: Entering Legenda
Hirilorn - Legends of Evil and Eternal Death (best album title ever btw)
Mephistopheles - Songs of the Desolate Ones
Nasheim - Evighet/Undergang
Throes of Dawn - Binding of the Spirit

DRUDKH - Autumn Aurora (revisiting now)
HADES - Dawn of the Dying Sun (thanks for reminding me)
RUNE - The End of Nothing
SIGH in general

Neither would I really.. here's 2 random ones I actually listened to again after quite some time rather recently:

Mithotyn - In The Sign of the Ravens
October Tide - Rain Without End

one album i never listen to yet it will always remain a fave of mine and is always on top ten something lists is Katatonia's Brave Murder Day.

Godflesh's Streetcleaner is another i never play , but that album is devastating. so fucking heavy

helheims av norron aett is probably in my top 10 bm albums, yet is never played

it's funny. my cd case is divided into three sections. the left is black metal, the middle is death metal and the right is doom/neurisis metal/stoner, etc.

i havent barely looked at the left side for months until this thread. :lol:

dusk was a lot better than aphotic

i mean i really approve of what aphotic tried to do i just don't think they succeeded

"failure" ep is ironically the best thing they ever did

While i agree with dusk being better, i actually think the aphotic songs on the split are their best. sea, spade, all we have is this.
Anyway

arcane sun - s/t
bad religion - against the grain
borknagar - s/t
blazing eternity - times and unknown waters
sots/nachtmar (good one jerry..all their material really)
disembowelment -transcendence into the peripheral
kayo dot - choirs of the eye
bergthron - jagdheim
edge of sanity - spectral sorrows
dornenreich - bitter ists dem tod zu dienen
orplid - s/t
rapture - futile

i could not get into that disembowelment album.

i still think solinari is one of the best examples of doom/death and doesn't get enough recognition

i had forgotten how much i liked thyrfing's urkraft. they should have stuck to jollyviking folk instead of getting serious

I'm listening to The Chasm "Deathcult" for the first time in awhile and it's kicking my ass. I've been focusing mostly on the massive haul I made at MDF but some other classic stuff that I haven't listened to that recently

Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Unholy - From The Shadows
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Eternal Darkness - Total Darkness

listening to demilich, since i pulled my demilich shirt out of the closet for the first time in a while. fuck i wish they would have released that empt1n3ss of l33t whatever it was called instead of teasing me for a year and never being heard from again. serious blue balls over that one :(

Yearning - Frore Meadow

yearning.jpg

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness (Pulled this out today)
Morgion - Cloaked by Ages (pulled out yesterday)

The Morgion is excellent, thats for sure. I always thought you disliked TGW because it wasn't aggresive enough for you? I can remember back to some thread where you ragged on it something fierce (though admitting a mediocre primordial album is better than some bands epics).

I've always liked TGW second only to SPirit the Earth Aflame (which still holds #1).

It's kind of ridiclious how under-appreciated Dusk and Aphotic were.

I bought the Aphotic albums, they're quite good, nothing world defining, but I still can't understand hwo they never had a record deal when other bands that were much worse did.

My Dusk album finally has stopped smelling like gugs.