Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
THE GATHERING - SOUVENIRS
Psychonaut/The End Records - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

gathering_souvenirs.jpg

After the brief teaser EP known as Black Light District, The Gathering have release their latest studio album Souvenirs. As one might assume it is very similar in style to that EP. Employing electronic sounds to complement the driving rhythm section, the swirling guitar lines, hauntingly beautiful piano melodies and finally the beautiful voice of Anneke, The Gathering have created an album that never tires, that gets deep into your soul and just stays in your head. The strongest aspect of Souvenirs is the variety found throughout the album. Each song speaks its own language and as its own identity. From the intricate drumming of "Souvenirs" to the dark urban landscape of "We Just Stopped Breathing" to the driving guitars of "Monsters" and finally to duet between Trickster G and Anneke in "A Life All Mine", Souvenirs has plenty to keep you interested and these moments barely scratches the surface.

I should mention that Anneke's performance is definitely her best and most dynamic to date. Her voice is breathtaking, soothing and strong. She has improved constantly since her Mandylion debut. Her performance in "Broken Glass" is something of true beauty and those of you who own the EP should recognize this song since the piano version was one of the three songs on it. Obviously they are extremely different songs exhibiting different moods but I do enjoy Anneke's singing more on this one.

But this is just not one person taking the limelight. The other members of the band do a phenomenal job in implementing their bold and new musical vision. Most metal fans will not enjoy this album but I strongly urge you not to miss this album. Souvenirs truly is a work of art.

Psychonaut Records Website
The End Records Website
The Gathering Official Website

At first I was really dissapointed with this. I loved Black Light District but this lacked the imediateness or epicness of that and at first it all seemed a bit washy and too distant from their old stuff for me to get into. Then, after on and off listening for a few months I put it on one day and it suddenly grew on me and I got completely hooked for a few weeks on end. Anneks voice is awesome and the synths and atmospherics are fantastic. Monsters is easily one of my favourite tracks of 2003.